Isn't tabbed browsing great?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Queso, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Queso macrumors G4

How do Internet Explorer users do without it? And why don't they realise how lame their browser is?

2. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Well, I guess your post is evidence that not using IE does not prevent a user from making lame posts.

3. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Yes.
    I cannot imagine why people would still support IE after all that is out now.

Especially Mac IE.

Will IE 7 have tabbed browsing? Surely so.

4. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Got a response didn't it? :)

Seriously, I was doing some research this afternoon using my little PB12". Without tabs, it would have been impossible to keep track of everything and get the work done in time.

5. emaja macrumors 68000

IE 7 has some crazy, far fetched features like tabbed browsing, RSS support, a toolbox search box, and all sorts of features that Microsoft has pioneered.

I can't wait until Apple or Firefox or Camino add those. That will be insanely great.

6. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I think tabbed browsing is the best thing since sliced bread! I wish they would integrate it into the iTunes music store.

7. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

It's a matter of how everyone has gotten to think of it's computer.

Microsoft has made Windows users to adopt the idea of "just good enough". If something does work, even if it doesn't work at full capacity then why change it?

If you think about it, nearly every thing that Microsoft does is based upon that logic. Windows work, although they work bad. But, since they work (even with many flaws) why change it?

Windows Media Player draws many resources from the system when it works. But they say "since it can play songs, who cares about getting it better?".

I could offer you 100 examples of why windows are based upon the "just good enough" logic. Internet Explorer is no exception to this rule.

8. DeeJay Dan macrumors member

I get lost in tabs. I start opening all kinds of pages in new tabs then wonder how the heck I wound up where I got. :eek:

9. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I agree that every version of IE, up through version 6, was not very good.

If you have access to a Windows computer, I'd give IE7 a try. After seeing the tabs, RSS feeds, and the general layout, you may be pleasantly surprised by how much you like it. It's unfortunate that MS is no longer releasing IE for OS X because I really like IE7.

It is still in Beta, but it can be downloaded. Just Google for Internet Explorer 7.

10. Xavier macrumors 68020

Tabs can be really helpfull at times. I use them a lot when I need to keep one window open, and search something else. It probably benifits the people with smaller screens the most because we can't fit more than one window on it! :p

11. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

I couldn't agree more with you. You wouldn't believe how many times I hear "just good enough" from PC users. Being in the graphics industry, we pride ourshelves on quality. But PC users seem to only care about getting it done quickly. As for IE, I wish it would go away. Nothing but crap on the Mac and for Windows users, a open invitation to your PC. I use Camino for my browsing, as a matter of fact I have one Mac that has IE on it, because it still runs OS 8.6 (an old 8600/200 running my Heidelberg scanner).

12. emaja macrumors 68000

I am not a MS hater, but is there something that they offer that the much more secure and open source Firefox doesn't?

If not, they offer me no compelling reason to use their browser.

13. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Surely you jest. The general layout of that program is among the worst I have seen. I mean its nice that Microsoft is fixing that crappy browser, but it is still no match for Firefox.

14. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I'm not kidding, and I am not an MS fanboi. I truely like the layout of IE 7. While it may not look pretty, everything that you need is right in front of you. In my opinion, it blows Firefox out of the water, in terms of useability. The RSS setup is so much nicer than the "live bookmarks" in FF. Also, the search bar allows you to choose from multiple search engines on the fly. In addition, pulling up and hiding your "favorites" menu is a breeze in IE7.

Have you tried it yet? If not, I'd suggest trying it, if you have access to a Windows machine.

15. DeeJay Dan macrumors member

IE 7 is nice, I played around with it in the early beta stages. It's probably better since I used it. My main problem with IE are the security exploits, since on Windows machines IE is tied into the OS exploits are a bigger risk than with a stand alone browser.

On the other hand I just switched back to Opera. I love firefox but I like having email, feeds, and IRC all in the one tabbed interface. Quite frankly the way FF handles RSS sucks. Thunderbird is a PIA when using feeds also. One of the things that annoys me most is try adding a feed into TB by right clicking there's no paste option you have use the keyboard shortcut and if you don't know the shortcut you're going to manually type the feed URL.

16. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I hate IE so much that when people ask me for help unless they are using firefox on windows and safari on the mac i will not help them. Everytime i see someone is using IE i point them to firefox.

17. adese macrumors member

adese

is there a keyboard shortcut in safari to switch between tabs?

18. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Wow, you sound like a real joy to be around.
    :rolleyes:

19. KSpider macrumors regular

I personally HIGHLY prefer just using the benefits of exposé over tabbed browsing...

20. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Exposé is nice, but switching between windows is too slow for what I need to do at work. So, I usually just use the tab feature in Firefox or Opera.

21. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

command} or command{

22. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I couldn't use a browser without tabs. Safari + tabbed browsing = :D

23. bense27 macrumors regular

24. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

isnt command+shift+[ or ]