Isn't the 20 inch imac not realy a big improvement?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by matthew_goldin, Nov 23, 2003.

1. matthew_goldin macrumors newbie

Oct 26, 2003
    I mean, it is basicaly the same as the seventeen inch.
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Hmmm...current event? Please try and use the right forum ;)

:edit: thread has been moved now :)
  3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    With the exception of 280 vertical pixels, 150 horizontal pixels, and 3 diagonal inches of screen space, yeah, they're the same. Although I bet the springs in the arm have been retuned.
  4. Island Roots macrumors regular

Sep 26, 2003
    It's not suppose to be a big improvement, but rather more options for customers. However, it's a bargain.

The display on the 20" iMac is the same as the 20" Apple Cinema Display, which costs $1,300. So you're only paying $900 for the actual computer. The display is what costs so much.
  5. matthew_goldin thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 26, 2003
    17 inch is enough for me. Who really needs twenty?
  6. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Web and print designers, video editing/compositing, audio editing, gamers, anyone who likes a bigger monitor. If you only need 17 inch, that's great, I have a 15 inch PowerBook and I do video editing and 3d work on it, and if I didn't need the portability of my laptop, I would be one of the first in line for a 20 inch iMac.
  7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    not really. It's not like having a 20in separate display. When you outgrow a 1.25 ghz G4, say goodbye to that $1300 investment.
  8. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2003
    Connecticut, United States of America
    I think 20" is great...
    I paid 2700+ for my G5 with monitor apple studio display.
    20" display and a nice comp for 1999$ with discount....
    I think it's a good deal...
  9. kangaroo macrumors regular

Feb 5, 2003
    And don't forget the following additional differences...

Display Specs:
    Typical Viewing Angle:
    120° horizontal, 90° vertical (15-inch and 17-inch models)
    170° horizontal, 170° vertical (20-inch model)

Typical brightness:
    200 cd/m2 (15-inch and 17-inch models)
    230 cd/m2 (20-inch model)

Typical contrast ratio:
    300:1 (15-inch and 17-inch models)
    350:1 (20-inch model)
  10. ratspg macrumors regular

Dec 19, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    no really?

of course its 'better' for the screen size. but it's a worthless investment. After the computer is outdated, you have NOTHING left, just an all-in-one computer that can't run anything anymore. If you bought a seperate 20inch cinema display, go ahead and plug it into any computer you want, but not with the iMac. If it could come off and work with other computers too then it's worth it, but $2199 for something that will be worthless later (not getting to keep the 20inch pretty screen), is not worth it.
  11. gwangung macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    Re: no really?

Yes, thank you for determining for everyone else that your requirements for a computer should be everyone else's.

A lot of this is dependent on how often you upgrade and who it's for. Upgrade the CPU within 3-5 years, yeah it's probably not a good invesment. But if you're at a point where it'll be used sid or seven or more years, then it just might be....
  12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    I'm sure people said the same thing about the 17" iMac being massive and pointless for the average consumer oriented iMac user, but that obviously proved to be a sales success.
  13. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota

by this logic, every computer is a "worthless investment"... they are all expensive and all get outdated within a few years.
  14. yamabushi macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2003
    This would be a much more exciting update if the display could pivot 90 degrees for viewing in either portrait or landscape mode.
  15. kylos macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2002

At first, I'd almost agree with you, but when you think about it, if you replace your computer at the first sight of aging then you're probably the sort of technophile who will be wanting a new monitor quite frequently. And if you're an average user who will keep their computer for a while, then by the time you buy a new computer, your monitor won't be nearly as useful because of increased monitor requirements (rez and such). So it really isn't a bad idea to bundle it like this.
  16. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    Too bad that jou can't just get the base of the Imac and click the screen with the arm into a new base. Or that you can buy the screen seperatly to. Buy it for the powermac and drill a hole in your bureau that can hold it, the arm then be a pedestal! :D
  17. ksz macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Sounds like an opportunity for a third party company -- offer a kit with necessary tools and diagrams so customers with old iMacs can remove the arm/screen combination and mount the arm onto a simple stand (offer a choice of styles) with a DVI port.

Those who would rather sell their iMacs will always have that choice.
  18. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    wouldn't imacs be so much cooler if you could lift the screens out and plug them into a stand that has a dvi/adc/vga/phono/s-video connectors at the back it would be just like the old 15" flat panel (the blue one)

come on apple its not that hard is it?:)
  19. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    Now THAT is a good idea! I really hope some compant jumps on this idea
  20. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    apple would have to make the imac from scratch to support this and the sad thing is - they make alot of moeny by having people re-buy the entire computer from them rather than just the outdated component.