Isn't this illegal?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HawaiiMacAddict, Feb 19, 2007.

1. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2006
    On one of my Macs of course
    Aloha everyone,

I was perusing O'Reilly books on OS X and came across this gem:

Running Mac OS X on Windows

I was under the understanding that the Apple EULA prohibits this - maybe Apple should be made aware that O'Reilly, for whom I had great respect, has stooped to not only condoning, but actively supporting illegal activity with Apple's product.

I really like O'Reilly's product, but I may have to rethink my resource list after this.

2. macguysoft macrumors member

Jan 9, 2007
    For me, that's hard to say. If one has a legitimate copy of Mac OS X then I don't see how it would be illegal. Parellels, on the other hand, is selling their product while Pear PC isn't making any money but perhaps there's donations. So I would say that if one illegally downloads Mac OS X and installs it on a PC then this would be an illegal move. Pear PC is just an open source app and I don't think they are in any way responsible as to where the user got the OS from. It's like running Windows on Mac OS X although I do realize that Apple is a lot more strict. Also take note that pear pc doesn't run very fast compared to normal macs.

And let's say that it is illegal. Why hasn't Apple sued or requested that this project be discontinued? For all we know, this may encourage more sales from Apple so that those who want to experience Mac os x can get the real deal! Pear Pc cannot even begin to emulate as fast as a normal operating mac. Just my two cents :)
  3. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    To run OS X, legitimate or not, on non-Apple hardware is against the EULA and is therefore illegal.

I'm not sure writting a book on how to do it is illegal itself as it doesn't actaully make you do it.
  4. macguysoft macrumors member

Jan 9, 2007
    Then why hasn't Apple stopped the project? This actually could encourage more sales for Mac OS X and thus this would be a gain for Apple. Pear PC is basically a emulator that runs on the Windows platform which is the same as Windows running on a Mac. The development of emulators in itself is fully legal in most cases. According to the Pear PC developers, "no copyrighted information was used illegally in order to actually produce code for PearPC". So after establishing that PearPc itself isn't illegal, the user who is using this might. Perhaps this could be a reason as to why Apple didn't threaten the project? Another reason is that this app simply emulates and in no way alters the Apple's code.

[Edit]: Wow, the creator of PearPC died so this explains as to why the development stopped...
  5. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    Apple makes it's money from Hardware sales. To license OS X for non Apple hardware would put the company into financial difficulties. Apple obvioulsy don't see PearPC as much of a threat and from what I've heard about it, it's not.
  6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    The booklet is talking about PearPC, i.e. PowerPC emulation. That's OS X for the truly desperate. As a poster to wrote,
    This isn't an area where Apple will care very much.
  7. savar macrumors 68000

Jun 6, 2003
    District of Columbia
    It might be gray area though if the Apple hardware is being emulated. Then you're running OS X on an Apple PPC (emulated) on a generic x86.

As somebody else mentioned, this is truly desperate. Whether its legal or not I don't see Apple getting involved.
  8. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    There's no grey area. If "Apple Inc" or "Apple Computer Inc" isn't printed on the motherboard then it's not Apple hardware.
  9. phuong macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2006
  10. sunfast macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2005
  11. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    i actually opened my mini for ram upgrade, I didn't see any "Apple Inc" or "Apple Computer Inc" on any of the hardwares?
  12. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004

That does surprise me. The pcb usually has it written on somewhere
  13. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    well, i can't rule out its somewhere that is out of eye sight, I didn't dissemble it, i just opened it anyway.
  14. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    IIRC Apple forced them to take down the guide they had of how to do it.

Pear PC is incredibly slow, and not really a viable option...
  15. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    I was going to point out:

Attached Files:

16. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
  17. ksgant macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2006
    Let's put it this way. If you own a Mac, and you own a PC...and you happen to load your copy of OS X that came with your Mac on your PC, I don't think you'll have to worry about the cops busting your door down.

It's about the same as pulling the tag off the mattress that says "under penalty of law, do not remove this tag".

Now...selling PC's pre-loaded with OS X or distributing OS X over the Internet is another matter. But what you do with your own hardware and software (regardless of what the EULA says) isn't anyone else's concern.
  18. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Would OS X run on a shiny, jaw-dropping hardware design? NO, you say? Then it's a hack to run it on generic PC hardware and as such it's illegal
  19. gkarris macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    Yea, I've seen this website before. It's filled with the good old "certain things work, certain things may work, and certain things don't work" (sound familiar?). Also, filled with links to "patches" to try to get things to work.

Not at all worth it. Apple is not worried.

For goodness sake, go buy a Mac! An old used G4 should be pretty reasonable at this point...
  20. smueboy macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2006

I think this pretty much sums it up - i don't think that the book per se is illegal, however, if you put OS X on a pc you would be doing something illegal. The book itself could be called theoretical, though i'm sure Apple does not like it. Still, until a printed book, like a OS X on a pc for Dummys, is released i don't think they will try to fight it - they have enough legal battle to fight at present. :)
  21. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Jul 6, 2004
    Nagoya, Japan
    "Illegal", you keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means. — Inigo Montoya

Software companies do not get to write the laws of your country (the USA?) with their so-called EULAs.

EULA != law, therefore:
    acting contrary to an EULA != breaking the law

On the other hand, maybe some corporations re-wrote your Constitution and dissolved your state legislature last week, and I missed the bulletin.

There are many good reasons for not running OS X on a normal PC, but they're mostly technical.
  22. gnasher729 macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    1. Making a copy of MacOS X and running it anywhere is copyright infringement and therefore illegal, completely independent of any EULAs.

2. The number of people who would be wanting to install MacOS X on non-Macintosh hardware, and who can do so without copyright infringement is very very small indeed. I suppose if a truck runs over your MacBook and all that is left is a bit of scrap and an install DVD, you could install MacOS X anywhere without copyright infringement.

3. Then there's the EULA. Whether EULAs are enforcable or not depends on the country where you live and your lawyer. Let's say it would be unwise to send an email to Apple about it if you install MacOS X elsewhere. But see point (2) - very few people would do this without copyright infringement, in which case Apple has a very solid case.

4. If you install MacOS X on PearPC and use it for your daily work, that is more punishment in itself than anything Apple could possibly do to you.
  23. gnasher729 macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    Obviously _after_ removing MacOS X from the Macintosh.
  24. nplima macrumors 6502a

Apr 26, 2006
    come on, reading this is like watching people defend some dogma or something... just because some action is against the EULA (a contract) then what you have is a breach of contract, not necessarily something illegal.

As for the person who was shocked with the book editor, come on... is this EULA more important than Free Speech? should books on chemistry be outlawed for condoning bomb-making? geez
  25. Cromulent macrumors 603

Oct 2, 2006
    The Land of Hope and Glory
    Exactly right. Unless you break an actual law a company can't do anything about it. If you own the copy of Mac OS X and only install it on one computer, be it a Mac or a PC Apple have absolutely no legal grounds to sue you. The only thing they could possibly get you on is breach of contract, maybe.