Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rahsten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Japan
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knows of an application for Mac (OS Leopard) that allows you to open, examine and edit an ISO. I know simply clicking it will allow you to open and view it's contents, but the permissions don't allow me to edit it and I can't change permissions to allow for that. I know of several Windows apps that let you edit ISOs but have yet to find one for Mac.

Anyone?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
You could use the hdiutil command line program to convert it to a read-write ISO, edit it via the Finder, then convert it back to write-only.

Rahsten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Japan
You could use the hdiutil command line program to convert it to a read-write ISO, edit it via the Finder, then convert it back to write-only.

Hmmm, I thought about that but honestly I don't have the slightest idea of how to use command line to do that.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Hmmm, I thought about that but honestly I don't have the slightest idea of how to use command line to do that.

I'm sorry that I'm telling you to RTFM, but I've never done this myself.

Try typing man hdiutil and see if you can figure it out from that.

Rahsten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Japan
I think I may have done it in Toast. I mounted the ISO then just dragged the icon into ISO 9660 and low and behold i could access all the folders and even remove and add stuff. Yeah Toast! I didn't even know I could do that! I've yet to test the patched ISOs but hopefully they'll work with the wanted result.

Thanks for nudging me along here.

If it doesn't work, I guess I'll start RingTFM on command line.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Alternatively

1. mount it
2. copy the contents to the filesystem
3. modify the files you need to
4. recreate the .ISO file.

You can create an ISO using Disk Utility, just select CD/DVD Master as the image format - which will create a .cdr file, then just change the extension to .iso after the file is created.

Rahsten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Japan
Cool, thanks. I tried the toast thing and it didn't work. So, I'll try what you suggest. However, I've already burned all the required files to a DVD to use on my wife's PC....so I can do what I need to do on her computer. I really didn't want to have to resort to that, but....well, let's see if the way you mention works.

Rahsten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Japan
Hmmm,
I'm having a few troubles/discrepancies with recreating the ISO through Disk Utility. By the way, I'm using Leopard.

I select 'New Image' and I'm asked to input;

Volume Name
Volume Size (1.2 GB)
Volume Format (I'm not sure which to select here) There are choices of Mac OS Extended and Standard and MS/DOS.

Also I'm asked for;

Encryption (none)
Partitions(all the ones that have CD/DVD in their name still give me a .dmg suffix)
Image Format (only get the options of 1)read/write disc image 2)sparse disc image and 3)sparse bundle disc image ... I choose read/write)...there is no option for CD/DVD Master here. So, I'm not sure how to get that .cdr suffix.

After this it makes an empty dmg and I then transfer the ISO contents that I previously copied to filesystem and change suffic to .iso.

Am I using the right options when I create the New Image?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.