Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
I have a 47meg ISO I would like to put on my shuffle to boot form. I have 102meg free designated for files. How would I place this ISO to the shuffle to make it bootable. I will be booting from this to a PC based computer. It is a version of Dan Small linux. (0.4.8)

I hope this makes sense. Thanks
Joe

JonMaker

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
here.
joetronic said:
I have a 47meg ISO I would like to put on my shuffle to boot form. I have 102meg free designated for files. How would I place this ISO to the shuffle to make it bootable. I will be booting from this to a PC based computer. It is a version of Dan Small linux. (0.4.8)

I hope this makes sense. Thanks
Joe

First, verify that the PC's firmware supports booting from USB.

Also verify that you have USB 2.0. Booting from USB 1.1 would an act of masochism.

You can use disk utility to write the ISO to the iPod. Make sure that you write the ISO to the area the firmware will look to boot from.

Plug it in (you will probably need a powered port), set the firmware to boot from USB, and boot.

Best of luck.

BTW, this is all guesswork. Take it as a suggestion; YMMV.

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
Thanks. But I am doing this from a windows computer. sorry I should have said that earlier. Also, when I put my shuffle in, is shows up in finder until iTunes loads, then is goes away, so I cannot see it in disk utility. I can use either windows or OS X to do this, so either way.

thanks

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
Also, how do I burn the ISO to the shuffle using disk utility. I fixed my above problem, but now cannot figure it out. thanks

EDIT:

okay, I think I figured it out. I select the source (iso I want on shuffle) then select my shuffle as destination.

I don't select erase destination, and hit restore. I then get error "an error (1) occurred while copying. (Operation not permitted)

I am logged in as admin.

What could the problem be? thanks.

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
A little background to what I am going.

What:
I used to be a hardcore linux user, but since OS X has been out, I have not really worked with it much. I always liked the Live Cd versions, (knoppix, ect...). I recently came across DSL (Damn Small Linux.) they sell Flash drives with it preloaded, but I thought since I have a shuffle, why not. I have heard of people running a linux distro from them, so I figured I would give it a try.

Why:
I use public computers a lot and since I work in the IT security field I don't really trust them for anything besides browsing, and even then I'm a little sceptic. this would be a great way to be able to run a OS I like, and also be able to check mail and whatnot without the issues of key loggers and the like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.