ISO: Photo Manager/Organizer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by johnnyxhuynh, Jun 29, 2006.

1. johnnyxhuynh macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

I am in search of a photo manager/organizer that has an interface similar to that of iPhoto. The problem I have with iPhoto is that it creates its own "Library" and organizes the files based on dates (I believe). I would rather an app that would simply use my current "Pictures" folder as its library and display the photos for easier managing. On my PC, I use Google's Picasa which is awesome! Does anyone know of something similar for the Mac? I've been cruising around on Softpedia but still haven't been able to find anything really. Thanks for any help!

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

iPhoto 6 allows you to keep your pictures wherever you like. You lose a few minor features, but it lets you do it.

3. johnnyxhuynh thread starter macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

I see that I can choose the option where iPhoto 6 does not copy images into the library folder, but...

1) You still have to have a library folder to even open the program.
    2) You have to create albums yourself, and there are no options for sub-albums. (Or maybe I'm just not familiar with the functions?)

I'm looking for something that'll display the photos as part of a "tree" based on your pre-existing folder system.

4. portent macrumors 6502a

iPhoto is strictly organizer, not a browser. iPhoto works best if you let it do its thing without second-guessing it. It does let you create folders and subfolders for albums. Using keyword tags, the search field, and Smart Albums, it's a pretty powerful organizer.

If your refuse to give up your own folder structure, GraphicConverter has an excellent thumbnail-based photo browser. It can be set up to open any folder in a browser when launched. (Preferences: Browser: Open) GC used to come standard on PowerBooks and Power Mac towers, but it seems Apple has dropped it. It's Universal, though, and probably worth the money.