ISP "Abuse"

Discussion in 'Community' started by timbloom, Mar 12, 2003.

1. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

I just recieved a voicemail from my IPS's "Abuse" department. They told me to take all copyrighted material out of my shared folder. Pointing out 1 movie in particular which I was still downloading.

I was wanting to alert you all about this being currently in practice...
    Anybody else have this happen to them yet?

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

3. timbloom thread starter macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Cox communication and mldonkey. I need to find a way to stop sharing files on mldonkey, I still want to be able to download.

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Yeah I remember a few motnhs ago when there was a controversy about whether an ISP could give away its customers' name when they were downlaoding lots of stuff. As soon as I read that I unsahred my iPod's library just to be safe. What movie was it jsut for kicks.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

unfortunately, if you look at your ISP's terms of service, they reserve the right to do stuff like this. The legality is iffy, but they're almost unchallenged. Once an ISP suspects 'abuse' they'll take drastic steps sometimes...

Tell them as long as no one's downloading it, no crime is being committed. You're just being sloppy with computer security, which is your right. It probably won't work, and if you push it too far you're likely to get your account revoked.

The sad truth about ISPs.

If you can, find a local or small ISP in your area and switch to them. 802.11b ISPs are becoming more and more popular. These small companies typically don't have the resources to track people like that...

pnw

6. timbloom thread starter macrumors 6502a

timbloom

They had recieved a "complaint". I am assuming that the movie compainies are jumping on the networks and just copying the lists of sources for that file. Because it was for one specific movie. "Back to the Future". Just register it into your brain that this is happening.
    From what I have heard so far they are required to give you one warning, then service can be shut off if they recieve another complaint. I personally don't believe the ISP is doing this out of their own will, I believe that it is mandatory for them.