ISP Upgraded my Cable connection to 5MB/sec

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DakotaGuy, May 3, 2005.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Even though I was depressed because of the iMac G5 upgrades that made my G5 an "old school" model, I was happy when my ISP PrairieWave emailed me yesterday and told me to call them and they would give me a free speed upgrade. I used to have 1Mb down and 128K up. Now I have up to 5Mb/sec down and 512K/sec up. Holy crap this is awesome! I live in a town of less then 400 people in a rural area, so we don't have much choice on Communications companies, but I am happy. I don't know does $39.95 a month sound about right for the service? That is what I think it comes out to on my bill. They only sell packages. I get local phone, standard Cable TV and Cable Internet for $89.95 a month.

They told me that they are one of the fastest Internet providers in the region now? Is that true? Or just hyping up their service? I guess I am happy, an iTMS song will download in about 10 seconds now. I did a speed test on it and I am running real close to the quoted speed. The graph put me somewhere between T1 and T3 for speed.

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Damn your lucky, I pay the same as you and my ISP in madrid just doubled my speed aswell it is now at 512k down and 128k up :(

3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

That's not a bad price at all - I'm paying that much to Comcast for 3mbps down/??? up (I forget the upload speed) plus extended (non-digital) cable, no phone service from them.

Right now, though, you will probably find that you won't be using all that speed. Many websites and other internet servers just don't provide data that quickly - your throughput is throttled (not necessarilly intentionally) at the server end of things rather than at your end.

4. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

i got upgraded today too! :D

except my upgrade is a little lame. ntl (my isp) uograded me from 750k to 2mbit. im paying £25/mo ($45).

it's still expensive, but i'm not complaining - after all it was a free upgrade.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

RoadRunner (at least in WI) just bumped everyone up to 5Mbps a few months back, but the upload stayed at a measly 368Kbps. Not bad considering its priced at $35/month if you are willing to hassle and happen to be a cable subscriber.

Edit: PS, you have 5Mb (megabit) download speed.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Really, 5 MBps would have been phenomenal...50 Mbps...wow! :D

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

40 ;) but still !!wow!! :p

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's fantastic..

I pay ~$70 a month for 1.5Mb/sec down + 384Kb/sec up via a mom&pop DSL. I'm LUCKY if I get 1/2 the speed above from 9AM to 11PM. And, I live in a city with over 120,000 citizens!

So I would say your deal is mind-bogglingly fantastic.

9. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I fixed my post after I saw the problem, haha, I meant a lowercase b. Anyhow, running against other Cable providers on DSL reports puts me right up near the top now for a Cable connection. In most day to day browsing, however, the change from 1Mb to 5Mb is not that dramatic. Most sites throttle me back, as someone else pointed out. However, things like downloads from Apple on software updates and iTunes music store is nothing short of stunning. My ISP still has a cap on the modem at 5Mb/sec. I often wondered what would happen if there was a way to take that cap off... I have a buddy that works in the main office, but I am sure he does not want to loose his job...

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird, my ISP did the same thing today. It finally offered me its new 24Mbps connection which should be pretty handy after running around with only 1.5Mbps for the last year or so. :D

11. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Cool, you were talking about that on the other thread.

I was talking to my friend who is an exchange student from china and his say's he has a T9 connection. Is that even possible and how bloody fast would that be. :eek:

12. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

750 to 2mbit, pretty good I'd say. Hope Blueyonder upgrade mine soon as I'm paying 35 for 2 mbit.

13. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I only got the letter yesterday. Apparently mine will be done before the end of may ... I'm still running at 750.

I was going to change, due to their service, and this is just annoyingly awkward ... cos they are gonna keep my £25pcm for a bit longer....

14. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

tbh, i havent had too much of a problem with ntl. i've had maybe 1 outage in the past year..

i didn't even realise there was an update pending - i read it on a forum, phoned them up and they upgraded me on the spot (for the same price, of course). they aren't actively advertising it, but will do the free upgrade if you call..

if dont want to wait till the end of may, perhaps give them a call?

15. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

supposed to be a NTL/Telewest merger rumor doing the rounds again, just hope we all get an upgrade. Being Britain though, you know how it goes.

16. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

7000/1000 DSL here for $47/mo :D

Guess I can't complain.. but i'm still jealous of the people with FIOS!!!