Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Supports Baseline LC for 640x480 H.264 encoding. Downloading now.

Sweet.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
how is this different then using handbreak. Does this rip the DVDs as well or do i need mac the ripper:confused:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
puckhead193 said:
how is this different the using handbreak. Does this rip the cds as well or do i need mac the ripper:confused:

Well, it's a totally different program for one. Handbrake rips DVDs to video files (it currently doesn't support Baseline LC for 640x480 H.264 encoding for the iPod but soon will) whereas iSquint converts video files to iPod formats. It does so much, much faster than Quicktime Pro's "export to iPod" function.

You don't need MacTheRipper with Handbrake anyway, just rip right from the DVD.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Chundles said:
Well, it's a totally different program for one. Handbrake rips DVDs to video files (it currently doesn't support Baseline LC for 640x480 H.264 encoding for the iPod but soon will) whereas iSquint converts video files to iPod formats. It does so much, much faster than Quicktime Pro's "export to iPod" function.

Does HB get rid of encryption? :eek:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
stuartluff said:
Does HB get rid of encryption? :eek:

I think so, it rips the video from the DVD to a video file (avi, mp4 etc). You need MacTheRipper if you want to do a direct copy of a DVD but HB will convert the video to different formats.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Chundles said:

so which way is faster? Using Handbreak or iSquint to rip a DVD? :confused:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
puckhead193 said:

Argh! Is this so confusing?

MacTheRipper - makes direct copies of a DVD and removes encryptions
Handbrake - rips DVD video content to video files (avi, mp4 etc.)
iSquint - converts video files to iPod format.

Once HB is updated to support the new format it will be a one step program to go from DVD -> iPod.

Currently I use HB to do a 100% quality rip of a DVD to mp4 using MPEG-4 encoding. Then I use QTPro to export to iPod.

iSquint enables faster encoding of the initial mp4 video file to iPod format. It also allows you to convert avi files and a myriad of other video formats to iPod format.

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
puckhead193 said:

iSquint doesn't rip DVDs. It merely is a program for converting video files from one format to another. And at that, it's the best around for ease of use. Pretty awesome stuff... just drag, drop, and click. Amazing.

If you need to RIP your DVDs first, get HandBrake.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Chundles said:
I think so, it rips the video from the DVD to a video file (avi, mp4 etc). You need MacTheRipper if you want to do a direct copy of a DVD but HB will convert the video to different formats.

I used to use MTR and make DVDs copies. Now with iTV on the horizon i think HB will be the weapon of choice and a fat-ass HD the battle field. :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
stuartluff said:
I used to use MTR and make DVDs copies. Now with iTV on the horizon i think HB will be the weapon of choice and a fat-ass HD the battle field. :D

Handbrake doesn't make copies of DVDs - it encodes the DVD video to different formats.

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
Chundles said:

This is off topic I know, but I actually have a copy of Handbrake that will encode 640x480 H.264. It's PPC at this point but works on intel Macs albeit sloooowwwllly.

Joshua.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Chundles said:
Handbrake doesn't make copies of DVDs - it encodes the DVD video to different formats.

I know that now. :D What I meant is, instead of having shed loads of DVDs about the place. All I have to do now is rip with HB stick em on iTV and watch em.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Chundles said:

haha everytime i export to mp4 quicktime wont play it. so i always have to do avi. how can i get mp4 to work with quicktime. mp4 would allow me to put my movies in itunes right? and then use front row if i want to lol

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
MacinJosh said:
This is off topic I know, but I actually have a copy of Handbrake that will encode 640x480 H.264. It's PPC at this point but works on intel Macs albeit sloooowwwllly.

Joshua.

Not sure what you're talking about, but I have encoded 640X480 and other widescreen formats in H.264 on both PPC and Intel machines using Handbrake for a while now. The program is a universal binary so if you find it to be slow on an Intel mac there's something wrong or you're emulating the PPC version for whatever reason.

I believe that the H.264 being discussed is a specific version of H.264 encoding used in the iPod, which last I was aware was not a capability of Handbrake. I'm sure it will be soon enough though.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Chundles said:
Currently I use HB to do a 100% quality rip of a DVD to mp4 using MPEG-4 encoding. Then I use QTPro to export to iPod... iSquint enables faster encoding of the initial mp4 video file to iPod format.
You're encoding MPEG-2 > MPEG-4 > MPEG-4 (iPod). Doesn't that cause a lot of quality loss?

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
7on said:
hardly. IMO, the loss of quality is hardly visible.

Not to mention the iPod screen is 320X240, which makes discussing a negligible loss in quality a bit pointless anyway. Not that your point isn't somewhat valid, spicyapple.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
7on said:
hardly. IMO, the loss of quality is hardly visible.

mkubal said:
Not to mention the iPod screen is 320X240, which makes discussing a negligible loss in quality a bit pointless anyway. Not that your point isn't somewhat valid, spicyapple.

I put video on my iPod with the intention of playing it from my iPod on a TV. This really magnifies quality issues. I like the quality I get using Handbrake to rip straight to MPEG-4, 2-pass, 2200 kbps, native DVD resolution. I wonder if Chundles' method will give me comparable quality at lower file sizes.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Tried a quality comparison between QT Movie to iPod and iSquint 1.5 encoding a 1080p QT trailer from Apple's QT gallery.

isquint.jpg

I still prefer QT's output, as it doesn't darken the movie file. iSquint at the Go Nuts setting is comparable in quality to QT, although it darkens the image somewhat on my machine. I didn't time the encodes, since QT doesn't offer quality settings, but it's output is top-notch.

iSquint at Standard Quality is all but unusable, since it removes skin texture and blurs the peach fuzz on this screenshot.

QT, FTW!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.