Israeli air strike kills 7 Canadians in Lebanon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by elfin buddy, Jul 17, 2006.

1. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Just saw this when I got into work this morning.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/07/16/lebanon-canadians.html

Can't everyone just frigg off and get along? So, as a result, Harper has commissioned two commercial ships to take Canadian citizens from Lebanon to somewhere safer (Cyprus, maybe?).

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/07/17/canadians-lebanon.html

What do you think Bush would have done if it were Americans that were killed, instead of Canadians? Would he consider it an act of war? Disown his citizens as terrorists? Or just push to evacuate Americans from Lebanon?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

if israel ended up killing a few american citizens, i am guessing nothing would happen

3. elfin buddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

What makes you think that?

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Because it is Israel

Has the US ever done anything negative to israel?

Remember the country that enjoys vetoing things in the UN in favor of israel.

5. elfin buddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Aye, but has Israel ever killed any Americans? The US is over-protective of Israel, but also of its own citizens.

6. satty macrumors 6502

USS Liberty springs to mind, although the Israel armee killed American Sailors not cilvilians in this incident.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Things are just getting worse over there.
    makes me shutter to think of what the future holds.

scary times we're living in, and could only get worse methinks. but i'm a pessimist.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Rachel Corrie comes to mind. The evidence isn't clear but it's likely she was intentionally killed. I'm sure that if one dug deeper there are a lot more suspicious deaths out there.

9. satty macrumors 6502

Twenty eight British People died in this attack, although it happened before the establishment of Israel: King David Hotel Bombing

Interestingly, this terror attack was ordered by Ben Gurion and Menachem Begin was leader of the terror group executing it.

10. satty macrumors 6502

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well that's certainly productive diplomatic language...

12. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I think the difference is that most palestinian deaths can be attributed to "casualties of war" causes and the israeli deaths can be atrributed to "stupid ****ing religious fanatics with bombs strapped to themselves." That's why the media and most of the world sees Israel differnetly than the Middle Eastern countries (which mostly fall under Muslim control/belief).

I see it that way too, for the most part. Don't get me wrong, I think both of them are in the wrong, but the majority of Israel's attacks ARE trying to take out guerillas, not shopping centers and day cares and buses. Extreme Islam controls Palestine and the majority of countries near by. Extreme Islam is like Scientologists with military weaponry...

That's why there's such a large difference in view.

13. satty macrumors 6502

John Bolton, like the rest of the USA government, don't care about Arabs or Muslim deaths anyway.

His statement was not about the dead people, in this case Canadian citizens, but the difference it makes according to him who killed them. It must be comforting for the family and relatives of the casualties, that they were not killed by "dirty Arab Terrorists" but the "holy Israel Military", which makes it morally justifiable.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Not true, the problem is Extreme Islam killing whoever, PLO,Hamas,Hezbolla,Taliban,Al-queda etc etc. These people are taught to except nothing but their extreme form of a primitive religion written by a bunch of primitives for primitives.:cool:

15. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Primitive religion? What is Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Wicca, etc. Really, you are leaving the Scientologists, Ba'hai, and I believe the Sikhs. Written by primitives? Keep in mind that much of what we take for granted scientifically was developed by the Arabs. It is arguable that we are barely reaching the point where Islam was centuries ago. And maybe we can discuss the social improvements that existed in Islam. It took women until the 20th century to achieve equality that they had years ago. I honestly think a lot of the changes to Islam were a result of Western imposition of culture and values in prior centuries. And calling them primitive seems xenophobic to say the least...they are the ones making a killing off of our greed...

That being said, I'd love to see a suit against Israel by the families of the Canadians (I guess American lawyers are good for something). I imagine it would force Israel to admit they are at war (and thus not responsible since they would not owe them a duty...) or incur liability.

16. satty macrumors 6502

Are you okay?

Another interesting observation

There are still ten thousands of western citizens in Lebanon, mainly from USA, Canada, France, Great Britain, Germany. Those people get attacked by the Israeli Military without their wrong-doing.

Not a single government of those western countries asked Israel to stop those attacks on their citizens, apart from an half-attempt by France.

How much do the western governments care about the lives of their own citizens?
    Do the western governments share the Israel view, that two abducted and three, arguable eight, killed soldiers are worth more than the lives of dozens maybe even hundreds of western citizens?
    Who is the "real super-power" in western politics?

My and your government has obviously no problem to sacrifice their own citizen for the Israeli cause.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Religions are all the same, mind control B.S. from thousands of years ago that will be $$$ please. I like science, science just explains gods creation nothing more nothing less. I also like what Jesus said Love God 1st & each other as yourself screw all those religions. Leave Israel alone and im sure they will leave everyone else alone but Its Hezbolla's turn isnt it? Lebanon has ignored what Hezbolla has been doing. Its not Ok to kidnap,or lob rockets,etc. Then to hide among civilians......sorry SOBs. Israel should just go land grab with the threat of never giving any of it back. edit Or threaten the dome of the Rock,stop the crap or we will send you a bunch of pebbles. I bet Islam would reel in these extremists.

18. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't get the first statement, but I'll let it go...and I didn't get what Jesus has to do with Jews and Muslims

Not ok to kidnap/lob rockets? I'll agree with you. It's a vile act to take people prisoner and not release them simply because you believe that they may intend to do you harm. I also believe that lobbing rockets into areas where you know there are civilians is disturbing. So, when is Israel going to stop? Is it right to keep people locked up because you think they may be terrorists? Mossad is supposed to be the best of the best in the area, but they can't figure out who is who? Killing 15 civilians because you heard there might be a terrorist there is proper? I would love to see how that would go over in SE DC when families are destroyed to bring down the people who are on a killing spree...

Killers hiding among civilians is bad, fine. Does that mean that if they weren't hiding, you would be fine with Israel taking them prisoner? Isn't that was has just happened here?

As for taking land and threatening not to give it back? Is the goal here to destroy the lives of civilians or destroy those who oppose you. Maybe we are missing something important here - I remember not so long ago, the people of A were beaten in a war and their economy and society destroyed. In fact their neighbors in B hated them so much, they were ruthless in their treatment of A's citizens. Eventually, the people of A had so little hope in their lives, they found what they believed the be the source of their problems and sought to destroy it. That genocide is what we call the Holocaust. Sometimes history is our best teacher...

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have no response, they have been killing for centuries.................thousands of years, guess they havent had enough. I dont any see any country based in Islam letting its neighbors to live and let live. Seems they have said they are the only true religion. wake up. All religions are false. None are right. Not a one. Thats the truth.

20. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Indonesia, Afghanistan wasn't going after anybody (just it's own), some seem to think Iraq, Egypt, Turkey, Yemen, Oman, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Georgia wants to be left alone but Russia won't.

Countries based in any religion (or none at all) all have violent tendencies...

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Man has a screw loose, its why ET isnt social with us but I cant blame em. We are a mess, live and let live isnt in the agenda.

22. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

It's rediculous that people can't get along. I mean come on, "I'm gonna take your soldiers to piss you off". In my opinion (ones mans opinion) As soon as those hostages were taken I knew there were gonna be major problems.

23. codo macrumors 6502

But does that action mean Israel has the right to kill 200+ innocent Lebanese people? I don’t think so.

Israel are truly out of line in their responce to the "threat" of Hezbollah - It's not acceptable.