Israeli Airstrike Kills 54 Lebanese Civilians

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Jul 30, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Link

I was very supportive of Israel at the beginning of this conflict as many of you already know, but even I'm starting to lose faith in the Israeli's methods as they increasingly take civilian lives. :(

2. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I was reading the Yahoo/AP article before I noticed your thread...
    So.....if the guerillas are willing to express "great sorrow" for their rockets and suicide bombs but blame Israel for making every civilian a future soldier and for using various bases to launch airstrikes at Lebanon, is that ok?

I think I just found a solution to the situation - everybody can feel great sorrow....

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Great. Really gives me confidence that Israel can tell the difference between a Hezbollah fighter and a civilian from 20,000 feet. Which, of course, is what all the Israeli apologists have cited as the reason Israel has the moral high ground here.

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Incidents like this can only have a detrimental effect on the State of Israel. Whilst encouraging the beleaguered Lebanese people to support Hezbollah, it appalls the rest of world and whips up even more hatred of Israel amongst the various terrorist organisations and nations that want to see it destroyed.

It also makes the positions of Israel's allies increasingly perilous.

Cabinet in open revolt over Blair's Israel policy - The Observer

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And now maybe you'll know why my default reaction is to abhor violence, regardless of perpetrator, stated reason, target or my own loyalties.

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

While "Islamic terror" poses unique problems for the West, the real "threat" to Western Civilization is from responses like this to the deaths of children. The limit of what al Qaeda, Hezbollah, Hamas, or any other Islamic fundamentalists organizations can do is kill innocents. When we engage in the same type actions we endanger the very core of what it means to call ourselves civilized.

MACDRIVE, this story sickens me, but it does you credit for posting it. Thank you.

7. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

That quote you point to is something that I had glossed over, but it brings up a salient point - what happened to Islamic fundamentalists are threatening civilization and happiness for all people? When did it become the West versus Islam? Are we (the West) really so pompous as to believe that in an era of globalization, we can live without any one part?

With that small statement, has Olmert essentially justified every terrorist attack on the West in the name of ridding the ME of the Great Satan (who, remember is a seducer, not a destroyer)...

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'm afraid that for some of us the answer is yes.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Defending yourself is one thing, but vigilante justice that's just as bad (if not worse) as the original transgression provides nothing but further conflict. Like I said in one of the other threads, you'd think they would have learned from our mistakes. The world is behind you until you become what you claim to fight against. Then we're all just killing innocent people.

I am angry at Hezbollah what they've done, but I'm also angry at Israel for making things apparently worse.

10. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

let's see if im understanding this correctly. israel has all the high-precision, high-tech, guided weapons that can hit small targets from far away, and they still bomb a shelter where dozens of civilians are hiding from the bombs they're dropping elsewhere? this isn't right....
    at least theyve stopped the airstrikes for 48 hours though.

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It seems that the Qana bombing could prove to be the 'tipping point' in the conflict, and finally force the US to stop the Israeli campeign.

12. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    That's because the vehicle launching the weapons moved behind this shelter.

You know, everyone is pretty mcuh talking crap about Israel now because of this, but it's not Israel's fault these fighters are taking up positions in residential areas. What's Israel suppose to do? Allow the anti-semite groups to pummel them and take it? No, they have every right to defend themselves.

Sorry, but if these guys are purposely mounting their attacks from civilian positions, it shouldn't stop Israel from destroying them.

Yes, it sucks that civillians die, but you guys can't blame it all on Israel.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

So if the crack cocaine neighborhood on the other side of the bridge from our house got bombed to take out the undesirables and I was killed and my whole life demolished in the process, no one is to blame? It's OK?

I'm tired of this "it's Hezbollah using civillians as shields." They (Israel) have the capability to disrupt Hezbollah without flattening the ENTIRE country and killing nearly 1,000 civillians in the process. There are average sized towns here in the U.S. with fewer people than that.

If Hezbollah is centered in the south, then why has the entire country been bombed all the way north to the Syrian border?

Oh, and lets not forget that Israel is apologizing AGAIN this morning after bombing a Lebansese miltary vehicle and kiling two Lebanese soldiers. But you know, they are just protecting their sovereign stolen state.

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

I'm not saying no one should be blamed, but blaming Israel flat out for killing people is ludicrous when all Hezbollah is doing is killing Israeli civillians. They're both to blame. But when you have a precision guided missle that goes after a truck that's launching missiles, it's going to hit its target, regardless of who or what is near by. Since civillians died, it's only evident that Hezbollah was using the shelter as a shield from radar.

15. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Onizuka, need I remind you that Hezbollah is made up of Lebanese and the fighting is going on in their country and in their towns? If Hezbollah were invading Israel and using Israeli citizens as shields your protest would make more sense. As it is, Israel is making its military decisions knowing it will strike civilians and condemning Hezbollah for not lining up to be shot down. This is nothing more than the complaining of every professional military that has ever confronted a guerrilla force integrated into a local population. The long and short of it is that Israel is responsible for the deaths its actions cause and Hezbollah is responsible for the deaths its actions cause.

16. iGary Guest

iGary

Across the entire stretch of Israel to the tune of almost 1,000 people?

Can you show me the 70 bombed out bridges, non-functioning airport, collapsed infrastructure and acres of flattened homes in Israel?

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

It's on the left. ;)

Like I said, no one isn't blameless, but blaming Israel for the deaths of civillians when destroying a truck that was firing rockets at them, then drove into a populated area to hide is a little bit overboard.

No, Hezbollah is using it's own people as shields to further the stance in the Middle East that Israel is doing this to kill innocent people when its not. It's a tactic used by militias that have no official military experience, training, nor honor.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

As opposed to the entirely honourable massacres,bombings and rapes carried out by properly-trained soldiers?

19. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

And now Israel agrees to a 48 hour stop in bombings to let civilians flee and then they keep bombing. I don't see how anyone can think Israel is acting responsibly in this conflict. They didn't from the beginning and they've never started to.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

honor is subjective, but it's a mistake to assume that hezbollah is a ragtag bunch of insurgents.

washpost

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Just like the Viet Cong or Michael Collins' IRA, n'est pas?