Issue with Finder in Panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by in-effect, Jul 27, 2004.

1. in-effect macrumors newbie

I've only just locked this problem down so I don't know if it's Panther-specific yet.

When an image file (which can be previewed in its icon state) is dragged onto the Sidebar, it represented as its preview. Because this image is 'live', the system needs to have access to the original item to be able to display it. If the original location of the file is inaccessible, the Finder will get stuck in an infinite loop when a new windows is opened, thereby hanging the system.

So the easiest way to fix the problem is to ensure the original item's location is accessible. This allows the Finder window to open normally and you can then remove the alias.

Alternatively, if the original location is not available, remove the alias' entry (enclosed in <dict> tags) from the com.apple.sidebarlists.plist preference file.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Seems Apple needs to rework how certain files are represented in the Finder (e.g. by using a thumbnail database file like XP does)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What I would do is change it so that if the original exists, display a thumbnal; otherwise, display the question mark icon like in the dock. I think the thumbnail database idea Windows XP uses is clumsy because it leaves Thumbs.db files around, which are useless on Macs (just like how Mac OS X loves to drop .DS_Store files on Windows servers, which are useless there).