Issue with iBook... logic board?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ravenvii, Apr 9, 2004.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Today, I noticed my display (external LCD) starting to flicker, colors tweaking a bit. Could the logic board issue extend to the external LCD? Or is this most likely an issue with the LCD itself?

2. hob macrumors 68020

hob

That's a hard one to call - at first I was thinking... Nahhh... can't be the logic board - just on gut reaction... but having thought about it for a second, it probably is! Do you get this problem with your internal LCD? Try using it with just that for a few hours...

3. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

4. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Help us to help you.

Welcome to MacRumors
    When you registered, you were invited to fill out a PROFILE, including information about
    where you are in the world Country, City, State, region ??? and
    what kind of computer you have: iBook, G3, G4, 600MHz 700MHz 800MHz 900MHz...?
    Do you have a CRT monitor that could be hooked up to the iBook?

When you ask for help, we need facts. Lots of facts.
    What do you do, student, alien from Mars (welcome, again), housewife, etc. ?
    Help us to help you.

Notice the SIGNATURE that hob, I and other members have below our posts. It's not for bragging rights, it is who we are in the Mac world.
    V
    V
    V

5. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

All right, you now can see what machine I have below. And I've already stated in the original post that I have an external LCD. A Samsung 172T 17" LCD, about a year old.

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

jebus MacRAND, you dont need to bitch to n00bs about that :p
    theres no need to put comp model, etc. in your sig, just state it in your original post or as a reply. Yeesh! :p

7. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

i know there wasnt much info in the original post, but i dont think you needed to respond like that - the tone is way too harsh as far as im concerned. all you had to do was ask nicely for a few details, and maybe nicely suggest things like putting info in your signature or whatever. i hope this isnt how you treat everyone that is new to the forums.

8. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

More complete iBook info, please.

übergeek is correct, either
    a. put more info in the original post OR reply
    b. put some info in Computer info part of the Profile, or
    c. put the computer model info in the Signature

kaylee
    , besides chiding me, what have you done in a polite, positive, and constructive fashion to
    1. help Raven VII?
    2. welcome Raven VII to the MacForums?
    3. request additional information from Raven VII?
    4. disclose your qualifications for giving advice?

Are you feeling defensive because you are a
    x. newbie since the ides of March, who has
    y. failed to fill out your own Profile, including what kind of computer you have that makes you an authority on iBooks, or
    z. neglected to read my post that started off with "Welcome to MacRumors" and concluded with a simple, concise request: "Help us to help you".

I thought I was requesting info (including "CRT", computer info, etc.) and being both polite and nice.

What is your advice to Raven VII on
    how to handle the iBook problem

based upon the information supplied? :cool:
    Pretty, please. :) And this time, try to be nice about it. :D

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No social ability.......what a shame.

You didn't do this yourself. And I'm ahead of you. Don't tell me that you're qualified because you own an iBook.

@Raven: If you haven't tried it already, try plugging in another LCD monitor into your computer and see if it does the same thing. If it does, then its probably your comp that's out of whack, and not your LCD.

--Abstract

Apple Powerbook of some type
    Some amount of RAM
    A hard drive I can't fill
    Pretty looking screen
    CD drive that also happens to play DVDs
    Looks Sweet

10. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Samsung SyncMaster 172T LCD is more likely to blame, not iBook

Thanks for the clarification of equipment & North American Continental location (if you were from Hawaii, I think you'd have said so with pride), Raven VII, it really helps.
    1. unlike my G3 iBook 700, which did have motherboard problems that Apple found by conducting normal diagnostics and fixed when I brought it in for a minor battery screw repair, (some of which could have been gleaned from my signature if a Mac person is a bit knowledgable)
    2. you have a 900MHz G3, which is NOT part of the "motherboard" problem class, and
    3. although this does not completely eliminate your motherboard as a source of your problems, it does tend to narrow the probabilities considerably (I think you can stop worrying about you iBook as being the problem)

Regardless, since you do NOT complain that your iBook LCD is malfunctioning, regardless of whether it is 12 or 14, this would logically focus attention on the connection between your iBook and the external monitor, or the Samsung LCD itself or its external DC Adapter.
    [​IMG]
    That the 172T SyncMaster is only "about a year old" is good news because of Samsung's 3-year contractual warranty, so you should still have plenty of warranty coverage left. Still, promptly contact the by eMail via samsung.com, 1-800-phone number, or by snail mail (so you have proof of the date of NOTICE) --

You may also want to contact the Retail Store (if any) you purchased the LCD monitor from, especially if you can physically carry in the Samsung AND your iBook, which is happily both very portable and very Apple, and don't forget the CABLE you use to connect the two (please, God, let it be the cable or power supply) so you can duplicate your situation in their repair facility. If they are an Authorized SAMSUNG repair shop, they can take care of your problems right there.

Remember to take your Paperwork (Receipt) with you, which provides "proof of purchase" or registration, because that's the date from which your warranty runs.

If you bought an "extended" warranty from the Retailer (depending on the period) you will need to comply with the written NOTICE requirements in your contract, and the additional good news here is that they often agree to provide you with another monitor should yours need to be repaired, or simply as a replacement.

I am not familiar with SAMSUNG's support policies, but even if you contact some companies (from my own personal experience more than the last decade, IBM and NEC are prime example) outside the warranty period, they react positively and may fix it anyway, so do NOT give up on contacting their customer SUPPORT people just because you think it will do not good. You may be pleasantly surprised...or not.
    (Please, inform us on your experience with Customer Service & Support, and the kind of treatment and resolution you receive from SAMSUNG, so that the rest of us will have an idea of their Customer Service department's attitude and level of competency.)

As background, your Samsung 172T LCD (also known as the SyncMaster 172T) is an improved 2nd generation 17" monitor by the largest retail and OEM manufacturer of LCD's in the world and their product lines are all considered the best available, so you are starting off with a good purchase choice (outside of an Apple Cinema Display, of course ;) ).*From a production standpoint, SAMSUNG has a worldwide reputation for doing everything right.* Your model likely first became available in early 2003 after a magnificient introduction by Samsung at COMDEX November 2002.
    Here are some stats for your monitor:

17” a-Si TFT/PVA LCD (Active Matrix)
    pixel pitch: 0.264mm
    Anti-glare coating
    Scanning Frequency --
    Horizontal: 30-81kHz (analog) / 30-63kHz (digital)
    Vertical: 56-75Hz
    Response Time: 25ms (Typical)
    Contrast Ratio: 500:1 (Typical)***
    Compatibility: 1280 x 1024 (Native)
    Brightness: 250 cd/m2
    Dimensions (WxHxD): 15.2’’ x 15.6’’ x 8.5’’
    Power--
    Working*: 42W Max
    Standby/Off: 5W
    Weight: 10.3lbs
    Warranty: 3 years parts and labor

***Although the contrast ration is only 500:1, reviews report that your Samsung model's brightness equals or surpasses other LCD monitors (like the excellent ViewSonic) boasting a 600:1 ratio, and far exceeds the flat-panel 17-inch Apple Studio Display which has only a 350:1 ratio.

More than the LCD monitor itself, I would first focus on the external DC Adapter as being a potential trouble maker:
    [​IMG]
    and have it tested first. If the retailer simply lets you use another unit's DC Adapter and the problem goes away, you have quickly identified the problem. :)

The only real complaints I've been able to find about your LCD is that there have been some customer claims that the 172T "whined" when switching from analog to DVI. Which brings up a good point, are you attached to the iBook through the DVI converter or by some analog method?

11. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Your qualifications and level of competence is self-evident from your silly (but entertaining) "Abstract", Abstract and
    as for you being "ahead" of me or anyone else, you have to do better than pull your thoughts out of your "pants" :eek:
    (you've got to visit Abstract's profile to understand that the source of his inspiration comes from his "pants" Signature). ;)

As for someone's qualifications, the quality of a member's posts does speak for itself, yours and mine. How's your "social ability" now? :p
    Making comments is one thing, backing them up is entirely something else. :D

While your advice for Raven VII to attach a spare LCD to his iBook is logical, it is neither original (note my CRT comment in my post made before yours)
    nor very practicable simply because it is far less likely that Raven VII would have a "spare LCD" lying around to do what you suggest than an old CRT as I had already suggested, don't you think?
    Did you really read the posts (all of each) above you before you wrote yours?

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

My tibook has been doing this to an external CRT. Though it has seemed to quit. What amazes me is that most of the time my monitor problems go away on their own.

13. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

The thing is, I can't just bring it into a store and show it off. The display tweaking only happened twice yesterday, never before, and hadn't done so today at all. It's a relief to hear that the 900 MHz isn't included in the logic board issue. I suppose I'll just wait it out, see what happens. If it becomes worse, it'll be easier to prove something's wrong :)

And I know the specs of this LCD, thanks... I did research into it, along with other components when I built my latest PC rig. As ironic as it may be, since Panther came out, I'm using the iBook as my primary computer over my P4 2.6 GHz rig.It's just a pleasure to use. That rig is only good for gaming now :p

14. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

What's the difference between the motherboard & the logic board ?... I'm embarrassed to ask that, but I thought they were the same thing...

My 900MHZ iBook's logic board just went last night, & it does fall under the logic board repair plan... They'll fix it , but I assume it will just occur again, from what I've read...

15. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

One way to preserve the image on the screen is to take a Digital Photo of it, or Polaroid.

Raven VII - you really need to check your serial number against the list provided by Apple. Go to this page and read the whole thing.
    http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

I'm in the 600-800MHz possible logic board / motherboard (the same thing, I think) problem group. But, Apple already fixed it. If your iBook LCD isn't going bananas, then the iBook is not as likely to be the source.

Although you might not be able to duplicate the problem, if your repair tech has your monitor and its DC Adapter in their repair shop, he can run electronic diagnostics that will hopefully identify any weakness.
    My iBook ran fine for me (it was almost new), Apple discovered I had a problem BEFORE I had a problem. :D

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Fistly, did you read MY post before you replied? I didn't ask if he has a spare LCD lying around. I told him to hook it up to another LCD. I have an LCD, as does my brother on his Windows computer that he bought for school. My friend down the street has an LCD. My other friend down the street has one. My neighbour has one. His workplace or school may have one. Finding another LCD only isn't practical if he doesn't have any friends, but most people aren't like you....

Plus, the difference between my reply about the LCD and your suggestion of using a spare CRT is that I actually told him exactly what he should do and what type of info he's looking for, in case he didn't know much about computers or electronics. You didn't do that. My suggestion isn't due to a lack of "originality" on my part, but a lack of clarity on your part.

And yet you still didn't tell us how you're qualified to inform anybody about their iBook. That's what the reply was originally about, wasn't it? I didn't pull anything out of my "pants", I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy in your posts. I'm not implying that you don't know what you're talking about. I'm just pointing out the fact that its not in YOUR profile, and it wasn't in either of your first 2 posts. Isn't that what you pointed out about others that replied in this thread?

Man, you are thoroughly owned. Make sure you read my post before I have to do this to you again.

17. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

macrand - i didnt mean to offend, so sorry if i did, just the way i read things it did sound a little harsh- i assume you never meant it that way, but how you word things makes a bit difference in how they are received and interpreted. i do not own an ibook myself (yet - i am still saving for one), but i do have a few friends that do. i dont like to disclose too many of my details over the internet, so hence why my profile is rather bare.

i was going to advise to look at the apple site for qualifying serial no's for motherboard problems, but it looks like i have already been beaten to it, as with the suggestion for trying to eliminate the problem, and if all else fails taking it into be repaired by a qualified person. best of luck on getting things fixed.

18. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

CRT problems with TiBook

How long ago did you first notice your screen problem? Have you hooked up your TiBook to any other monitors to see if there is just a conflict between your TiBook and that one monitor?
    Not sure what you want us to see in your link and screenshot, which overwhelms my 14" LCD screen so I really don't get the Big Picture overview. Otherwise, nice photos.
    I love the hantrick animated gif. You could use it for your avatar.
    [​IMG]

19. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Thanks, no offense taken. This site is multi-national as well as being multi-lingual, so it's hard to word things sometimes without sticking a foot in mouth (mine, not yours) every once in a while. I try hard (most of the time) to be kind and unoffensive. I also like to encourage people to be a little more open with their "Mac things", the rest is windowdressing. It's hard to tell how "American" English is received and interpurted in Australia, NZ, UK, Canada, or by an English language student in China who is just learning. Besides, übergeek from L.A. California USA apparently had the same reaction to my words that you did, so the failure to communicate effectively is mine.
    Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...
    While experience helps, desire and love of Macs is paramount. You qualify. Good luck on your quest. If you want to list a Mac computer say "Dreaming of a new G4 iBook Combo 14" or words to that effect. It's good to dream, and to have goals.
    Understandable. Birthdates are more a time of year (Aries or Pices on the zodiak, or - Happy Birthday Kaylee, when your turn comes) rather than age determinant, so the year of birth is very much optional. I'm so old, it doesn't matter anymore. ;)
    Cities can be helpful, especially when another person might be familiar with Mac places near you. In Arizona, I know most all of them and can check on the Apple site for a store near you, that sort of thing. Other times, someone will ask about the red rocks of Sedona, or about the Grand Canyou (one HUGE hole).
    Good advice & great minds, Kaylee... :)
    Keep posting, you are good of heart and pure of soul. :cool: