Issues With iTunes Library on External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aldik, Jan 26, 2007.

1. aldik macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've just bought a LaCie 320 GB drive from NewEgg and have copied my entire iTunes library to it. I set the external drive as my library source in iTunes' preferences as well. Everything has worked fine (about 2 weeks) until recently when I found that about 200 or so of my 3000+ tracks were "dead" -- they won't play and won't transfer to my iPod. If I check the source on these files it leads me to the following directory:

Macintosh HD:Applications:Hewlett-Packard:HP Photosmart Share:Contents:Resources:English.lproj:MyDocument.nib:classes.nib.

...which can't be right.

Has anyone had similar problems using an external HD to hold their music library?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Never had a problem when my library was on my external, however, I went about moving it differently.

First I changed the iTunes music directory location in iTunes to a folder on the external I wanted to use. Then I used the Consolidate Library option to move everything there within iTunes. This preserved all my playcounts and ratings and whatnot. Never had any issues doing it that way, so... not sure what to tell you. Weird problem.

3. aldik thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help -- it really is a bizarre problem. Would an alternate method of transferring my library really make that much difference?

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Restart iTunes and the problem should go away, if iTunes was started when the HD was attached it will loose the songs, restarting solves the problem for me.