Issues with my week old 15" PB!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 0s and 1s, Mar 17, 2004.

1. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Hi all. I am having problems opening the cover. It doesn't like to stay, even though I keep it straight, and it tends to fall every so often. Not only that, but when I close it, one end is lopsided. Another issue is that the fan sometimes stays on even though I'm running simple apps, such as Safari! I took it to the Apple store last night and the guy basically said that he can't do anything about it except sending the book back to Apple to have it checked out. He didn't really do anything but open/close my cover for 5 minutes, and in the process scratch the bottom of my PB! Should I take it to another store? I don't know what to do. I don't want to have problems as annoying as these continue over the months. I would like to exchange it, but it seems that it's going to be difficult to do so. Comments? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i am sure you have it under warrenty, so you should be able to send it back. the lock switch on my ipod wasn't working as well as i wanted so i sent it back. my friend even used his warrenty on his scratched ipod. this certainly is a issue worth exchanging the PB so send it back.

3. LEgregius macrumors member

LEgregius

I'd suggest you just call Apple. They will overnight you a box that you can put the computer in and overnight it back for free, fix it, and overnight it back. I've had to do it about 7 times over the years (several of those are due to a lemon iBook I had at one point that was eventually replaced with a brand new iBook G4 ;) ), and it's always been painless. Only once did it take more than a day to come back.

4. nickfit macrumors member

The latch thing is an old issue. When I first got mine, back when they first came out, mine also had a problem staying closed. Looking around discussion boards, I found that this was common. The latches, though, do wear in. Mine works just fine. In the process of wearing it in, make that you close the lid firmly. The latch is engaged by a magnet in the base. This magnet forces the latch to swing into place. My closing it firmly, the latch is more likely to completely engage. I also read a suggestion that you can pull the latch out, and pull it a little bit. To pull it out, you can start to until you see it come out, then catch it. Then, with the lid open, gently push down on the latch. I did this, and it seemed to work.

Anyway, this little feature is a bit annoying at first, but it does go away. If you send it back, they will probably just fiddle around with the latch like i suggested. As for the uneveness of the lid, this is common to, but it really is not pa problem. It's just that there is no way to struturally design an aluminum lid to be perfectly even without making it a tank.

Finally, with the fan. Apparently Safari is a bit of a processor hog. So, it can engage the fan. One way to ease it, though, is to make sure that in the power settings you have you processor performance set to automatic. If it is set to high, you fan will be on a lot, and as far as I can tell there really is not any performance difference between automatic and high settings.

5. richland macrumors member

Send it back.

Why pay so much for a mac and not get a good one?

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have heard horror stories of laptops going to apple and coming back in worse shape. I would try to get them to exchange it if possible.

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Sent my 15 inch back to get the screen repaired, it worked wonderfully. Although, if it's only a week old, I would try to get it exchanged first. Chances are that if it's a serious flaw they'll give you a new machine anyway.

8. 0s and 1s thread starter macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Well, that's the problem. The guy just played with the PB and told me that he could send it in to Apple. He told me that the turn around would be 7 days!! He probably thought I wanted to return it, but he didn't offer me any help. Not only that, the punk scratched the bottom! How dare he!!! I wanted to be the first to scratch the PB.

9. nickfit macrumors member

Again, I don't think the latch thing is serious. I had it and it went away.

Did you try chaning the processor setting to automatic? You might also want to open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder to see which programs are placing the most demand on the processor.