Isswitching going to leave my ipod Fubar?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AcousticDoc, Jul 22, 2005.

1. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

I have around 1000 songs on my windows formmated ipod. I want to switch to a mac but I realise this would cause me to format my ipod losing me all my songs. Is there anyway around this>?

2. Gmac07 macrumors member

i was worried about the same thing. i also have a ext hard drive that im worried about.

3. honeytoast macrumors regular

a windows ipod (fat32 file system) will work fine on a mac. any hdd formated FAT32 will work fine with a mac

4. AcousticDoc thread starter macrumors regular

so if I buy one of the new ibooks that will be released next tuesday...I can just plug in my ipod without any worries?

5. Cfg5 macrumors regular

I would delete all of the songs from your ipod and then put your music collection onto the ipod through explorer instead of itunes, because you can't put songs from an ipod into itunes.

6. OryHara macrumors regular

no, itunes will ask you if you want to pair that ipod with the ibook. this will wipe the ipod of your songs. you first have to rip the songs from the ipod.

i dont really feel like looking it up but if you check the forums im sure you'll find a thread about how to rip the songs from your ipod

7. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Being Mac isn't a problem--Macs can read Windows HDs and iPods. But moving your iPod to ANY computer--even another Windows computer--is a problem.

Not a big one--just copy your music from the PC to the iBook, and then when the iPod synchs to the iBook it will dump the old music and load the new--but it will be the same songs.

As for how to copy the songs to the iBook to begin with, you can use Ethernet or DVD or whatever--and as people have said, you can even use the iPod itself, with an app that lets you get to the "invisible" song files.

Welcome aboard! If you need more details, ask away--and ipodlounge.com is a good resource too.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

ARGH!!! So much confusing advice. Do this:

On your PC, set your iPod to "manually manage songs and playlists"

When you get your Mac you can now plug in the iPod and start managing the songs that are on there via iTunes. Download Senuti and use this to copy your music from your iPod to iTunes. It works for playlists and everything and is easy to use.

It's that easy, I switched with a Windows formatted iPod and it was a breeze, just make sure you don't have your iPod set to automatically update.

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

You also want to do this on your Mac. By the way this setting is in iTunes not on the iPod. Otherwise if you don't do this step when you first plug in your iPod to your new Mac it will delete all the songs on your iPod. The reason: because iTunes is set to automatically update the iPod with its library. Since there is nothing on your Mac, it erases everything on the iPod and leaves it blank.

10. AcousticDoc thread starter macrumors regular

hmm this is very confusing...perhaps I should come back after I get my new ibook!

11. Gmac07 macrumors member

the manual for the harddrive said that you could lose all data if you switch from pc to mac. i dont know if this is true but it got me worried.

12. AcousticDoc thread starter macrumors regular

yea it's true because it has to format the ipod for mac. The problem I'm running into is that I can't rip any songs from my ipod to my pc (I delete songs on my pc after upping to ipod to save space). I wanted to rip my songs to my pc then transfer the mp3s to my new ibook. I'l have to check out the sensuti program one of the posters mentioned.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Time for the (hopefully) simple explanation :)

To transfer from your iPod to your Windows PC, just enable hidden files in Explorer, then drag the .iPod_Control folder from the iPod into your Windows iTunes*. You can then network the two computers, and drag from your Windows hard drive into Mac iTunes.

Once your Mac version of iTunes contains all your music, just synch your iPod with your Mac and it'll sort everything out automagically :)

*By this, I mean to open iTunes, not maximised, then drag the folder from the iPod (from Explorer/My Computer) into the iTunes main window.

14. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Once you buy your Mac, hook it up to your Windows PC using a Ethernet cable or a FireWire cable. Transfer all your songs to your Mac (preferably, transfer them to the iTunes Music folder in the Finder). Then, plug your iPod into your Mac. Bam! You've got all your tunes!

15. AcousticDoc thread starter macrumors regular

I can't...I don't have any songs on my xp laptop (it got formmated recently). :-(

16. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

And no backups anywhere? Whoops :D
    Read this to backup your music and this to move your music to a new hard drive and finally, this to get the music off your iPod and onto your computer.
    If you don't transfer all the music first to your new computer you will lose any music on there when you plug it into the Mac. If you don't change the library the iPod is associated with ie. to your new Mac you can't put any more music onto it (except from your XP laptop).
    HTH

17. AcousticDoc thread starter macrumors regular

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

OK, I had my iPod hooked up to my old POS PC and it worked fine, it is formatted as Windows.

I got my iBook, made sure the iPod is set to manually update and plugged it in. It works fine, you do not need to reformat your iPod. If it's set to manually update and formatted as Windows you can run around to all your iTunes using mates and download any music off their computers and by using Senuti it's easy to add that music to your computer.

You do not need to reformat your iPod, in fact, it's better if you don't as it will work with both platforms.

Only problem is having to use a PC to update the firmware which in reality isn't that hard.

19. clarinettie macrumors newbie

I, too, am buying a new iBook on Tuesday, so let me see if I'm understanding.... I have my iPod set to manually manage the songs on my PC. If I plug it into my new iBook, I won't have to convert it? I was under the impression that I would have to reformat it and start all over again. Then if I want to update the iPod software on the iPod itself, I'll have to do that on a PC, but otherwise it will work just as well with my new iBook or my old PC?