iStat for iPhone Coming Soon

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 15, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

TUAW profiles the upcoming iStat iPhone application from Bjango, part of the team that released the original iStat applications for OS X under the iSlayer name. iStat not only displays basic system and network information for your iPhone or iPod touch, but it can also communicate with desktops and laptops running the free iStat Server application to allow users to monitor system stats remotely.

iStat also offers Ping and Traceroute tools for assistance in diagnosing connection problems while on the go.

iStat Server is free, but requires the iPhone version of iStat to be of use. iStat should be appearing in the App Store soon at a promotional price of $1.99, discounted from the regular price of $2.99.

Article Link: iStat for iPhone Coming Soon

2. macrumors 65816

alexbates

I lve the iStat widget. It's great when you don't want to wait for activity monitor to open. (which for some reason takes a long time for me)

I can't wait to see it on the iPhone!

3. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

$2? ... part of my love for iStat is it's Free-ness.

4. Guest

Sky Blue

$2 is pretty cheap.

5. macrumors 68000

Part of my love of money is that is allows me to keep a roof over my head.

6. macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Wonder if they will report CPU and RAM usage on the iPhone? Don't know the limitation on background processes and such, but I'd like to know the resources used by Safari, iPod, ect...

7. macrumors 6502

I know how the "Free Memory" feature works but I can't see how they're possibly getting the other stats without using private APIs...

8. macrumors 65816

amac4me

This looks sweet!

9. macrumors 68040

Telp

I don't understand why there isnt background processess or battery information. There are apps now that show background processess and even show battery percent left.

10. macrumors member

Computers named after Futurama characters. Typical. :rolleyes:

11. macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

"i wonder if they will report CPU and RAM usage on the iPhone? "

what would be the point when 1 app runs at a time lol

12. macrumors 6502

Apple's apps run in the background. It's only non-Apple apps that can't.

13. macrumors 68000

Me1000

RTA: no! :eek:

14. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Battery usage and cycles used are pretty important stats that are not available? Why not? I wonder if their approval was dependent upon those stats being left out? It's a no-go for me...:eek:

15. macrumors regular

I think they are referring to looking at Mac systems, not the iPhone/iPod touch.

16. macrumors regular

No private APIs are used in iStat.

This is version 1.0. Just like our other apps and widgets, iStat will be very aggressively developed.

I assume you're talking about background processes and battery info for the iPhone/iPod itself? Again, this is version 1.0. Stay tuned.

Keep in mind that the SDK places some limitations on what can be obtained. And as stated above, we don't use private APIs and don't intend to ever use them in iStat.

Fair call.

All our Mac apps and widgets remain free. We're also in the process of removing the ads from our site and changing a few aspects of our business model. More info here. Basically, the free widgets were supported by ads and donations. We're removing the ads because we want to keep the site clean and we're now releasing some very reasonably priced, high quality iPhone apps. I don't think $2 is bad for the amount of work that's gone into this app, but the choice is entirely up to you if you think it's worthwhile.

Also, I hope you like iStat Pro, iStat Menus, Organized and our other Mac apps and widgets because they're good, not because they're free!

17. macrumors 68040

Telp

I understand. I just downloaded an app the other day purely based on the fact that it gave the percentage of battery remaining. It also shows background processess (yes of the iPhone itself). I have been very happy with all your products and do plan on downloading this one when it becomes available.

18. macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm looking forward to this app. i wish it was free, but i might have to buy this one

19. macrumors regular

So what does "Coming Soon" mean? This is one app I've certainly been waiting for.

20. macrumors 6502

Sweet App. I love the regular version for the mac.

21. macrumors 65816

Can't wait! I've been meaning to donate to this developer for use if iStat and will definitely pick this one up. Hope the "free memory" function actually works!

22. macrumors 65816

alexbates

Yeah, I wish it was free. But knowing that it can also tell your computer processes, It will probably start off in the App Store atleast costing $2.99. I would guess it will cost $4.99 when its first released, just so the devs can make some good money off buyers that have to have it the day it comes out.

23. macrumors 68040

Telp

It'll be $1.99 US when it comes out and $2.99 after that. If they didnt tell us the pricing I would easily have believed you, it makes perfect sense.

24. macrumors regular

It's been submitted to iTunes, so we're just waiting for the team there to work their magic and release it to the store.

This is correct (and matches what we've written on the iStat page on our website :)

25. macrumors 68030

Watabou

As I have said before this app seems awesome. I just want to see an app that can monitor battery cycles on the iphone, if that is possible, without violating the SDK.