iSub with an iMac G5?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rantipole, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Rantipole macrumors 6502

Rantipole

Has anyone connected the iSub to an iMac G5, using only the internal speakers?

I'd like to get my satellite speakers off my desk, if possible. (I know that I can use satellites with the iSub; I'm just checking what others think of the sound with the internal speakers.)

I see iSubs on ebay from time to time, and it is tempting. But, I would want to get rid of my satellites, because this is as much about removing "stuff on my desk" than anything else. I know that the iSubs were designed to be used with the H-K speakers in the iMac G3s--can the speakers in the G5 be that much different?

2. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

I use my old iSub with my G5 iMac (rev A) with Panther from time to time, which works well, not quite sure if problems are encountered in Tiger (sure there is a thread about some where) but where I'm concerned all I did was plug and play and worked fine and still rumbled and kicked out the bass and sounded good with the internals, it all depends how loud you like your sound, it'll fill a small room but to be honest I think the internals are underpowered and the iSub overpowered in this configuration, I now use surround speakers.

3. Rantipole thread starter macrumors 6502

Rantipole

So, are you saying the iSub kicked out too much bass, when you had it hooked up to the iMac? (I also have a Rev A.)

4. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

Yes I was, but you can always turn it down in the sound control panel if you like a balanced sound and not boombastic, but in my opinion this makes it too quiet, that's why I've gone down the surround sound route, no speakers on my desktop but powerful output to suit anyones taste, I use my iSub for gaming/surfing, as I'm literally sitting on top of the speakers they're loud enough. But using the internal speakers in a sound set up for say playing audio CD's they're just not powerful enough but the iSub is.;) what will be the main use of the iSub?

You say you have a rev A, but are you using Tiger, I'm pretty sure (not 100%) somewhere in this forum there is a thread that said people were having compatibility problems (I could be wrong) I don't use Tiger.

5. Rantipole thread starter macrumors 6502

Rantipole

I have not yet upgraded to Tiger. I saw those compatability issues, but, I'm not sure, but they seemed to be earlier versions of Tiger?

Anyway, the primary use would be for music, not games.

6. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

Well if it's for music two things are if you're using it in a small room (12'x12' say) it will be more than adequate, but if you have a large room (mine 16'x45') you'll hardly hear the treble at the other end of the room but the iSub kicks the bass out, all I can say as I've said before it all depends on how loud you like your music and on occasion I like my music LOUD!

It all depends on your taste, if you sit at your comp it's great, if you're chilling out in your room on your own it's good, if you're chilling out with friends in your room it's adequate (chatting etc), partying with friends it's inadequate (loud voices will drown out the internals) but the bass is still driving, that's why I decided to get surround sound speakers (Logitech Z-5500 driving out over 500 watts RMS) which are more than adequate at a party and fills the whole house with sound and the speakers are attached to the walls (except the sub woofer)

I do hope I'm not muddying the water with my view of the internals but the bottom line is the iSub would be a good acquisition if it's inexpensive to buy and the added bonus is it looks good too, that's why I still have my iSub from the first days of it's release and I'm loathe to get rid of it ;)