iSuck part II...here we go again

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coolbreeze, Nov 13, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

2. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

"Lifts the restriction"? Does it simply make the function work in iTunes that previously did not? Or it is a helper app that records iTunes' output audio?

The latter is reasonably defendable, and the former will certainly be fixed by Apple. So which one is it?

3. slowtreme macrumors 6502

Seems pretty harmless to me. doesn't allow file transfers, just stream captures, and only to the 3 people you can share your library with (at a time). Mac iTunes users have been doing it for a while.

"I THINK" since I didn't try it.

4. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I guess we will see the sharing music feature disappear very soon.

Thanks a lot :mad:

Why can't people just be happy streaming, why do they insist on having a copy for themselves?

5. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I dont know, but I'll say what I always say once more..

All the efforts made to ristrict people, will whip them to do more..

someone who doesnt care about copyright laws, rules, integrity and etc, will find his own way to "get in the ring" and "break the walls"

6. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I personally hope Apple sues the **** out of this person. This wasn't unexpected but still. People need to grow the hell up. :mad:

7. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm pretty sure this app is just a strem ripper that supports iTunes. That would make it no different than umpteen zillion other stream ripper apps, and probably not something execs are going to get worked up about. At least, I certainly hope not.

That said, I agree that people attempting to mis-use features that were created with good intentions in mind do seem to have a way of ruining it for the rest of us. iTMS broadcasting is designed to share a few songs with your family in your home network. Nifty feature, and I really like it. It also happens to work on college campuses, which is additionall cool. Apple only lets you stream, and only locally, which is a VERY reasonable restriction.

But if the music companies (who I have no particular sympathy for, but are quite powerful) decide this is a bigger deal than it really is, Apple's going to have little choice but to pull the feature and ruin it for the rest of us (frankly, I'm surprised Big Music Industry hasn't already gotten all hot under the collar about intra-campus streaming).

I wholly agree with the belief that the more you try to restrict people, the harder they're going to try to circumvent that, but Apple is not being at all unreasonable with their restrictions on iTunes streaming, and it's not their call whether this ultra-easy-to-use feature is going to get killed thanks to some annoying execs and a kid with good intentions.

Flip side: Apple pulls streaming, and it'll probalby drive people farther back toward illegal sharing. Maybe the music biz sees the potential of legit streaming sharing, so they'll be leinent.

9. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

How the hell can you not infringe copyright with this feature? Download the songs and then rush down to the nearest music store and by the CD :confused:

10. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

It's always one idiot who spoils the fun for us all. Why? I don't know. I hope Apple doesn't kill the sharing feature, they've already crippled it in response to the music industry. I put in a whole Cat5 network into my house with the music sharing being one of the main reasons.

11. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

The article pretends that MyTunes is legal, when in fact it isn't, even if you're downloading music you are legally allowed to have. The fact of the matter is that iTunes, by not allowing you to save streams to disk has implemented a copy protection device, and MyTunes' only function is to circumvent that copy protection device. That makes it illegal under the DMCA.

Here's to hoping the RIAA goes after the software that's really illegal instead of preying on iTunes ;)

12. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

If people want to download illegal music why don't they just use kazaa like everyone else instead of ruinning iTunes for us all.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

1. it allows you to copy any song in any shared play list that appears in the users copy of iTunes. The capturing of the stream is just as good as xfering the file.

2. You can only place a song you buy from iTMS on 3 authorized comptuers. You can share your play lists with *everyone* located on your subnet. So, if every dorm on your campus is on the same subnet you can share (stream) your iTunes library to anyone else w/iTunes that has sharing turned on.

A week or so ago this guys program popped up in another thread here and I knew it was only a matter of time before it made it into the mainstream. He did have it hosted on his student web page at his college but he was forced to take it down.

Thread I refered to.

Lethal

14. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

A little letter to this moron

15. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

Well, we could try emailing the guy:
    Bill Zeller

or his ISP:
    Qwest Communications Abuse Notification

From his ISP's Acceptable Use Policy:
    (Emphasis Mine)

16. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

This is not a stream ripper, it downloads the file. I use it. Why? Because I own more than two PCs and it's a lot easier to copy songs from one to another this way. And I don't think the program is illegal. Using the theory that circumventing copyright protection is illegal, that means I can't backup the copyright protected game i bought, nor the new "fun" copyright protected music CDs i bought. Screw that. I bought it. let me use at as I want as long as I'm not sharing it.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Moral/ethical issues aside it is illegal. Disabling and/or circumventing copy protection is in violation of part of the DMCA.

Lethal

18. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

Lol, I submitted a link to an article dealing with this very issue to MacBytes, but it never got posted. :p