iSync and .Mac Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mashinhead, Jun 26, 2006.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

First of all let me start by saying how much i hate apple's customer support. I called them about this issue all they do is transfer me, waste my time, and not solve my problem, then the ask me if i want to buy more support, after not giving me any. Second I want to say how grateful i am that this site exists. I get WAY more support here than i could ever get from apple. Thanks.

Here is my problem. I'm using iSync and .mac. I often when i sync with my .mac account using system preferences, i sometimes get an error saying my .mac login failed. I don't know why, the username and password are correct. This happens sometimes. The other day i was syncing the info on my two computers (MB and G5). The address book info got messed up on the MB, and right now is fine on the G5. But when i try to sync on the G5 to .mac, it says that its going to delete everything on the computer. Long story short its messed up. I want to know:

a. how do i reset the info on to .mac
    b. How do i make sure that everytime i use it prompts me with the question box that lets you choose whether you want to replace date or merge data. This doesn't happen all the time.
    c. When it says its changing data as in changeing 5 of your contacts or something it defines what exactly its changing and lets me choose. I want thest options everytime.

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

What version of OS X are you using.
    How do you connect to the internet? Router? Proxy?
    etc...:)

3. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

the latest version of everything. Wireless router

4. iGary Guest

iGary

.Mac has been useless for about three months. I gave up.

Hopefully someone here has good advice.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

6. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

um... thanks i got that far.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, that's the answer to question 1. All other questions should probably be aimed at .Mac tech support.

8. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Well if you're using the latest everything the only suggestion I can make is wait a couple days..See if it clears up..

9. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

i just remanaged everything using the advanced tab. Its good for now.

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

With 10.4.7?

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Huh? That's not even out yet.

12. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The man said wait a couple of days and...

13. iGary Guest

iGary

So you did what yellow said, then? ;)

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Ah.. I think what he meant by that was that .Mac was a fickle bitch and most often when one has troubles today, there's no problem tomorrow.

15. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Right O !! :)

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

17. iGary Guest

iGary

I finally tried to get my new PB and the G5 sorted yesterday and got about an hour of login errors before it all took...

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I justy tried again and got "the .Mac blah is being blah worked on blah and ******** and blah".

19. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Oh well, a guy can dream, proving my signature right again.

20. thumb macrumors 6502

i am slightly confused.

you said you are using the latest of everything, but that you are using isync with dot mac. tiger doesnt use isync for dot mac, it is handed over the dot mac system manager. isync is used to manage devices like phones and pda and what not (which is to say, it is not much used).

i have found dot mac to be pretty unrelaible as a syncer, but the best option alas. it fails often, but will work itself out. sucks when you really really need that bit of calednar info RIGHT AWAY and dot mac called in syck.

as for your problem. i hope one of your accounts is most up to date. go to advance in .mac prefs, un-register all computers, register the complete computer first, replacing all .mac info from computer. then register others, replacing all comptuer info from .mac. ONLY DO THIS IF ONE COMPUTER IS COMPLETE MASTER. Otherwise, force syncs until one is the complete copy, and do above.

If keeping your calendars/booksmarks/etc is a really really critical task for you, dot mac IMO is just too unreliable. i use it anyway, but it is far from ideal.

21. thumb macrumors 6502

22. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

yes pretty much. Thanks yellow. sorry bout before. It should have said sys. prefs>.mac>Advanced.