iSync and mobile phones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Blade, May 12, 2004.

1. Blade macrumors newbie

I currently use isync to update my address details on my mobile phone (siemens S55) via bluetooth. The problem is that this mobile doesn't tie up very well with the address structure on the mac so I end up with the details for some numbers in the phone somewhere but unable to search for them (usually with business phone numbers) does anybody have any advice on a model of mobile that links better with iSync? Basicly one that supports multiple fields etc. Many thanks

Peter.

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

you have to set address book and the mobile phone to sort names the same way. for example with my sonyericsson t68i i have to use "lastname, firstname" sorting to get it work.

oh, and isync has a killer feature: "reset device". that saves big time when the phone screws something up.

3. Blade thread starter macrumors newbie

business?

but does that still work if the details in address book are for a business? In this instance my phone seems to screw up big time as there is no first or last name~!!!! Help appreciated....!

Peter.

4. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

I just got a S56. I haven't yet figured out how to get my S56 to display differnetly but what I have done is decided when I really need a business on my phone and made their names the LAST NAME of the contact so that it appears in my phone as Company,. not ., Company. Also I set up a GROUP in my Address Book called S56 and that's all I sync that way I don't get all my one name iChat buddies on my phone either.

Does that help? I had a T68i which did a great job syncing but had crap reception on AT&T in my area.

macboyX
    http://www.macboyx.com

5. Blade thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that..... I was going to go through all my contacts and do something similer but wondered if there was a phone out there that coped better with the multiple fields and business/first name last name problems as I am basicly lazy!!!

P

6. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

in the address book, there is a check-box called "business" within each contact card, just under the company name. when you check that, the address book sorts the contact by its company name (leaving the lastname,firstname as an optional field for contact person).

7. Blade thread starter macrumors newbie

that's what seems to mess things up with my phone as the first name last name fields are blank. It doesn't seem to take the business name details onboard in a way that enables you to search through your phone address book, it just fills the empty name details with ",.,"

But it's all irrelvant now as I have just changed phones to a V600 and iSync doesn't support that phone at all!!!! Anybody know if apple usually update iSync compatibility fairly regularly???

PG