iSync and OSX 10.5 + cell phone support - iPhone Only?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stella, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I'm beginning to wonder if Apple will cripple or even remove iSync in future versions of OSX.

For example, Apple will remove all cell phone syncing, and only supporting iPhone:

Apple "If you want to sync your phone, you need to buy our very expensive iPhone".

Thus creating even more hardware lock in.

Opinions - people who have used the Dev versions?

Anyone?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Doubtful, wouldn't it be the same as them saying if you want to connect to the internet then you can only buy an Airport, rather than a third-party router.

3. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

Yes. However, it takes more effort ( re: resources and thus $$$ ) to add new phones to iSync, where as its no effort for Apple to maintain compatibility with other brands of routers.

4. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I doubt it - they know people will continue to use other phone brands and it has been to Apples credit that they provide functionality with so many products (like almost every printer or camera) right out of the box.

5. pengu macrumors 6502a

Exactly. They're sometimes a bit slow supporting the brand new models, but compared to the nightmare on windows, iSync is a breath of fresh air when it comes to syncing a mobile phone.

i cant seriously imagine them dropping support for the models already in there. they MAY be less inclined to provide support for phones as quickly, but i imagine they are going to be going pretty well as they have. if they wanted hardware lockin, we'd have ADC v2 instead of DVI and DVI-DL on our video cards.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

7. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

I read that they were planning to include more drivers in Leopard, not less.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How else would they make it dead easy to suck in your contacts/calendars/etc... from your old phone to your new iPhone?

:p

B

9. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

Via iCal and Address Book :-D

( Just hope the user has synced the phoned using an older version of OSX! )

10. USA1776 macrumors newbie

Quite possible.

Let's not forget what happened when the iPod was released guys. iTunes previously supported third-party digital music players (Nike PSA & many Rio models to name a few), but that support was dropped upon release of the iPod.

I think Apple could well drop support for all other phones, maybe not right at the beginning, but at some point. And I don't blame them.

If I was running Apple, I would be trying to sell the lifestyle, just as they are. They offer, in my opinion, simply the best hardware and software out there, so personally, I'm more than happy to have all my digital needs catered for by Apple.

On the flip-side, you could argue that the iPod was entering a new market and Apple could therefore take advantage leading to their now dominance. Maybe the mobile phone market is too well established for Apple to grab by the horns... But then again Apple isn't just another big company, it's capable of doing the unthinkable. That's why I love 'em.

I'll shut up now.

11. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

That is exactly what I was thinking when posting this topic.

More Apple hardware lock-in. Which isn't a good thing for the consumer.
    :-\

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It still does AFAIK (at least it did with version 4 for Mac) but no support for extra devices was added and the Windows version *only* supports the iPod.

13. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

Nope. They are still supported.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93548

14. USA1776 macrumors newbie

Cheers for clearing that up guys, I really thought they'd dropped support but I was obviously wrong.

15. Fahrwahr macrumors member

The current information pages on Apple's Leopard site don't seem to include any information on iSync. Is there any other source that would lead one to believe that iSync will get more drivers?