isync and the clie sj22

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by absurdio, Nov 19, 2003.

1. absurdio macrumors 6502

I had an Sony Clie peg-sj20, which is listed on Apple's list of devices compatible with isync .
    Then I broke it (yeah, I'm great at life). Disappointed to find that the sj20 has been discontinued, i got its logical successor, the sj22, as a replacement. However, I'm chagrined to find that it is NOT listed on that same compatability sheet. My initial attempts with iSync (breif and half-hearted though they were) didn't get me very far; before I invest much more time in this, I feel I should ask if anyone has any experience in this area. Will iSync work wit my sj22? If so, how do i set it up? If not, is there an alternative I can use or some third-party software I can use to make it work with iSync? I suppose people must have had some of the same issues with other PDAs - if anyone has any success secrets they could let me in on, that'd be a big help. Thanks.

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

When I was still using my Clie SJ-22 I ran into the same problem, and was about to buy "the Missing Sync". But I found that the freely-downloadable Palm Desktop 4.1 will work with it ("Missing Sync" requires the Palm conduit, which is why I'd tried in the first place - I downloaded the Palm software and said "what the heck, let's try it"). So I'd suggest giving that a try first.

I haven't tried iSync with the SJ-22 though. Now I am just using the iPod calendar, and my Clie is going to my wife. But can't iSync work with the Palm conduit as well?

3. absurdio thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I'm working on getting Palm Desktop as we speak, so I guess we'll see how that goes.

I don't know much about palm conduit...
    could you tell me what that is (or how to attain it, if that's appropriate...)? I appreciate it. I'm willing to experiment a little with this, though, ideally, the end result would be making isync manage the clie...

Anyway, thanks for the help. If you could let me know about palm conduit that'd be peachy...and one way or another, I'll post again when i see how palm desktop winds up working.

-Nicholas

4. absurdio thread starter macrumors 6502

success!

Right you were; palm conduit won the day.

now my sj22 is syced up with my ipod and my adress book and ical and everything else thanks to the glory of isync.

it was just a matter of updating from isync 1.1 to 1.3, getting palm conduit 1.2, getting palm desktop 4.1, and making them all work together peacefully *grin*

the good news is it can be done...and does. everything works perfectly together and my clie sj22 sycs with isync exactly the way i'd hoped. if anyone else has any problems with this, let me know and i'll see if i can help fight through the ordeal.

-nicholas

5. sombrerofallout macrumors newbie

sj22 - the right choice?

Hi there nicholas,

I just received an sj22 as a gift, and i haven't yet opened it. I wanted to check around first and see if i'd be losing any functions if i used this with my mac and osx. Your posts on this topic were very helpful. While Sony doesn't support it, it sounds as if I should be able to use the SJ22 with my mac without losing any functions/options, yes?

Or would you recommend that I exchange this for another product that supports OSX - the Palm Zire, for example? In looking @ information for both of them online, the Clie seems to be a step up.

Thanks -

somebrerofallout

6. absurdio thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, glad to be of some help.

After my initial panic (and a whole lot of tinkering) I got the sj22 to work fine and I use it regularly now. It syncs fine with ical, with my addressbook, to-do list, etc.

I forget exactly what steps I took to set it up, but i'm very happy with it now.

I'll take a look through what I've got here and see if I can remember what I needed to do to make it compatible...though I think the key point was Palm Conduit...

I haven't had any experience with other PDAs so my advice there would be rather limited, but, for what it's worth, the sj22 works beautifully for me.

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Re: sj22 - the right choice?

just me being really nitpicky (im kind of a pda dork) you need to be careful when referring to palm zire...there are two (well three) types-the zire, the zire 2 (or some other number) and the zire 71.
    certainly your sj-22 is a step up from a regular zire or zire 2 (which are both black and white and dont have any expansion slots) but the zire 71 is WAY more advanced then the sj-22...don't be taken in by names, look at feature sets.
    In any case, enjoy your sj-22, and if you need any software suggestions feel free to pm me!
    --carly