iSync Compatible Cell Phone/PDA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Axeon, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Axeon macrumors member

Oct 12, 2004
    I'm looking to buy a cell phone that is capable of syncing with my G4 Powerbook. I don't need a lot of features, but would like it to have all of the following:
    1. The ability to make calls.
    2. iSync and bluetooth compatibility.
    3. The ability to add dates to iCal, and information to Address Book through the phone, or perhaps PDA.
    4. A reasonably simple method for typing in new information or events. (No stylus or phone numeric entry, a QWERTY)
    Anything beyond these is not needed. I would prefer a cellphone, since they are generally cheaper, and perhaps i could get an additional feature, such as the ability to take photographs, however a PDA that is reasonably priced would also be suitable as long as it could make phone calls. Your suggestions?
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Not sure where you live, but in the US you can get a T-mobile Sidekick II from Amazon/T-mobile for zero dollars. Should be cheap enough. ;)

See here, if link works for you, else go to Amazon's Cell Phones & Service store.

Edit: never mind; I don't think it has BT or iSync capability. Sorry. BT/iSync/QWERTY is a lot to ask for.
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I'm not sure when it's going to be released, but I've played with the Nokia 9300, and it meets your needs. Likely to be a bit pricey, though, and probably not out until early Q1 '05.
  5. Axeon thread starter macrumors member

Oct 12, 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions jsw. Is a qwerty/BT/isync really too much to ask for? I was under the impression that you needed BT for isync anyway. If there's an alternative wireless method for isync, then I'd gladly do without the bluetooth. Price isn't so much a problem as bloated features is. I don't want to pay $400+ for a phone with dozens of features I'll never use.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.
  6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    not an answer

This is a list of all iSync compatible devices, and how to connect them. I'm planning on picking up the SE t637 when my verizon contract runs out, but i don't plan on entering a whole lot through my phone, and thus don't mind the alphanumeric entry.
  7. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

Jun 14, 2004
    Bloated features, heehee! :D Gotta love 'em. Actually, you wanna know what has proved to be a very reliable, trustworthy phone for me?

The Sony Ericsson k700. It's more high-end -- I didn't quite pay $400 for it, but nearly -- but it's worth every penny. There's a lot of features to it, yes, but I actually use pretty much every one. (Except the radio, because that requires the hands-free earphones -- the receiver is built into them -- and I think I lost it. ;) )

It syncs beautifully with iCal and Address Book, is quite easy to input events on the phone itself as well (smart it is, so it'll often recognize words you're trying to input and do it for you)... the functionality is all there, and yet the phone is incredibly small, low-key, and professional-looking.

A word of precaution: for some reason, many phones (Sony Ericsson phones and the k700 included) don't seem to sync your addresses to your phone. iSync will transfer the names of everybody, and any phone numbers, company names, etc., included -- but not mailing addresses themselves. Not sure if that's something you desire or not. (If ever I forget an address at the post office, I just pull out my iPod anyway, so it's not a factor.) Also a warning: some phones do funky things when you use iSync with them and the daylight saving time has changed. Thankfully it only happens twice a year, but basically it'll offset some events by an hour and you're left frustratingly trying to fix them. (The solution? Just delete them and reinput them, after making sure the daylight savings time is right both on the phone and computer.)

Some nice throwaway features you may or may not like include a stellar MP3 player (use MP3s for your ringtones!), a 41MB memory, the ability to stick videos and such on your phone and watch, and a built-in camera.

Bluetooth on the k700 is extremely convenient and simple; in fact, one of the wonders of the k700 + PowerBook combination is a simple piece of software called Salling Remote Basics (free!). Use your phone as a wireless remote control for iTunes, PowerPoint, DVD Player, and more! Heehee, you can also move your cursor around the screen joyfully -- a fun thing to do to unsuspecting people who are busy at the computer and typically like to have full control of the mouse themselves.

Another option you might be interested in is the s700, k700's brother. I think Cingular will be offering it statewide very soon, maybe even some other providers, so you're liable to find a great price for it. Does everything the K700 does, but has a different design, better camera, and the ability for memory card expansion. :)
  8. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    The K700 is the coolest phone I have ever seen or used. Can't go wrong. :D
  9. dav macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2004
    Ah, if only I could get the k700. Been tracking it ever since they announced it :)

T610 is working fine for me now though :cool:
  10. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

Feb 19, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    The P910i/a has everything you're looking for....Dont think you can go wrong with that one.

Im using the Siemen's SX1 atm,works flawlessly with iCal/iSync....But the P910i seems like you're best bet,a little pricey though. :rolleyes:
  11. gskiser macrumors member

Jun 23, 2003
    The P910i (or P900) is amazing..

I agree, I have the prior version, the P900 and it is amazing. It does everything, and works perfectly with my Mac and iSync. I'm convinced that it is the best Phone/PDA on the market today. However, the best does come with a price. It is very expensive. I paid a lot for it, but it is one of the best purchases I've made and I have yet to regret it.
  12. yoak macrumors 65816

Oct 4, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I got the SE T630, cheaper than the K700 (and smaler), and it works great. Syncs perfectlywith my ibook, except as someone noted; the mail and email addresses are not transfered from the phone to ical. Name and numbers are. It´s a great phone. I also use almost every feature, and I didn´t think I would when I boought it.
  13. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    I understand that you can use the Palm Treos with iSync, and if they're anything like my Tungsten C they should be pretty good.