iSync doesn't support my phone!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by slughead, Mar 4, 2007.

1. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

I just got a Motorola W315 to replace my [much better] monochrome phone that met its terrible demise after a date with a rain storm.

The W315 is apparently a cheap version of the PEBL.

I noticed that this little bugger has a USB port on the side of it so I plugged it into my mac.

The thing is detected in Windows, but iSync pretends it's not even plugged in.

This is lame.

I suppose it's not a big deal because I bought this phone because it was the cheapest one at the Verizon store and therefore shouldn't expect anything more than for it to make calls, but still!

My question is: When does Apple usually update iSync to include other phones? Anyone think my poor little POS phone will ever be supported?

2. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Hopefully with the 10.4.9 update... I'm waiting for my Samsung to be supported.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Realistically you'll be waiting for 10.5 ;), but you have to check the compatibility list when buying a phone.

4. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

5. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I know, I was dumb, but my common sense was blinded by the thin-ness of the Samsung X820:D :eek:

6. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

When I hear Verizon, I think Bitpim. You may want to give it a whirl. Downlaod it after searching google.

7. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

iSync doesn't support my phone (k800i) but I found a patch that made it work.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It would be nice if Apple modified iSync to let the program individually connect with an Apple server or something and get new profiles, so that new profiles for it could continually be rolled out. I have always been able to get the phone I already wanted and have it work, but it seems to me that Apple could do better about adding support for major models. What they've done in the past is intermittently add them in dot upgrades to OS X (e.g. 10.4.9), occasionally iSync updates, and of course the major revisions (e.g. 10.5). But it tends to be in spurts and falls out of sync with the latest phones rather frequently....

9. Moonjump macrumors newbie

Where did you get the patch? I've just got a Sony Ericsson W880i and it isn't supported yet.

10. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Just using google! I've done the same for your phone and found this. Hope it helps :)

11. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Just write a plugin, thats what I did for my constellation.

12. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

Yeah, welcome to the club. Apple has a list on their website that shows what phones sync with iSync. Not many when you think about how many phones are out there.

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Incredible to me that the LG KG800 Chocolate is still not supported. There are so many of them out there, but Apple is still sleeping on this one. Hoping it makes the 10.4.9 patch.

In my experience, Apple's support of phones has historically been really shoddy.

14. Moonjump macrumors newbie

Thanks, I tried Google, but that didn't come up.

I jumped the gun a bit. I checked the Apple website and it did not list my phone as supported. When I posted I had just plugged it in for the 8 hours before first use that was recommended.

Now I have the phone working, It seems it is supported as it connected without problem, it even lets me use the phone as a remote control for my Mac or as a modem. Not that I am planning on either (I haven't been using the remote that came with my iMac anyway).

15. slughead thread starter macrumors 68030

slughead