iSync in the menu bar...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hob, Dec 22, 2005.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

This is the first time I've noticed Apple do something Microsoft-like, and it's been bugging me since Tiger first came out.

The sync button in the menu bar now only controls .Mac syncing. However, when syncing with iSync, it still spins, like in the old days. It looks to me like apple didn't divorce it very well. My main question is why?! Now if I want to sync my phone, I have to go into a separate app as opposed to using the handy little menu item!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think Apple's slowly killing iSync. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I doubt it'll feature in future major OS releases. :)

3. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Why would they want to do that though?? iSync is so useful!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't know, but they seem to be building it directly into the system instead. Witness the move of iPod syncing to iTunes and .Mac is now configured through System Preferences. I don't know where we'll be syncing phones from in future, but I reckon it'll be System Preferences if not iSync.

5. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Oh right! I thought you meant they'd be killing of syncing to phones totally - which of course would make no sense!

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ha, yeah, I meant the app. I've thought about this for a while. I'm not sure whether I prefer the functionality being split up or not. I suppose it's not really easier nor harder for the end user.