iSync Phone Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sostyln, Dec 5, 2004.

1. sostyln macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a nice bluetooth phone with Cingular service that will cooperate nicely with iSync or any other applications for the Apple that will work the same way as iSync. I have heard of OnSync, but have not used it. Does it work well? Are there any other programs like it? The phone that I I think I like the most right now is the Nokia 6820, because of the fact that it is bluetooth, has a camera, can receive e-mail, and mostly because of the flip-out QWERTY keyboard, but it is not on iSync's device list and syncing with my iBook is the most important advantage of bluetooth to me. Otherwise, I might as well just get a non-bluetooth phone. Is there a way I can make the 6820 work, or does anyone know of any other great bluetooth Cingular phones? Thanks guys, have a great one!

Jason

2. rohitp macrumors regular

rohitp

Nokia 3650/3660

I use a Nokia 3650 (Symbian) phone and it iSyncs perfectly using bluetooth. Also sync'd a Motorola v300, no problem. I use t-Mobile but the phones are all quite similar. Also, there are several phones that are not on the "iSync list" but work all the same. Do an internet search with your phone name and iSync - see what you come back with.

3. UnclePaulie macrumors regular

Sony Ericsson T637

Hi, I currently have Cingular service with the Sony Ericsson T637. And before that, I had the T616. In my opinion, they make great phones. And using Bluetooth, I am able to sync Address Book & iCal to the phone using iSync, as well as transfer pictures & ringtones.

4. sostyln thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thanks for your replies guys, but the thing is that I am under the impression from the iSync device list posted online that Motorola's will only sync with the USB cable. They will not sync using bluetooth, if this is not the case then the Motorola v551 will be my next phone. Also, I like some of the Nokia's, but the model that you told me about the 3*** series does not really appeal to me because I am not a big fan of the way that it looks. Also, thanks for writing about the Sony Ericsson as well, I did know already about the T637, etc. that will work but thank you for reminding me, but I am looking for a flip-phone or a phone like the 6820 that has the keyboard for typing e-mail's, text messages, and if I ever get the need to instant message. But this phone will not sync with iSync. Can I download any conduits to make it work? Or does Missing Sync have anything that will help? Can I sync the Motorola v551 with my iBook using bluetooth, and not the USB cable? Thanks guys, have a good day.

5. rohitp macrumors regular

rohitp

Re: Thank you

The reason I mentioned the Nokia 3650/3660 is that they are SymbianOS phones. If the one you are looking at is also Symbian based, it is hard to imagine that it would not sync.

On the Moto phones, you are right - they will only sync with a USB cable. Somehow the bluetooth implementation is different from Nokia's and Sony's.

Do the search I mentioned and that will be your best source.

6. benpatient macrumors 68000

apparently that isn't the real issue. It's just a lack of effort on Apple's part, because my v551 motorola wont' connect via iSync, but it DOES connect via the Bluetooth File Exchange in OS X (flawlessly), and it even works with onSync (look on version tracker), but it doesn't work with iSync at all.

Which says to me, it isn't a technology issue, it's a lack-of-concern issue. I was hoping that 10.3.7 would have fixed it...nope.

And technically, according to the Bluetooth people, there is only 1 "implimentation" of Bluetooth (other than the different versions 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, of course), and if it's Bluetooth, it is Bluetooth.

That's the whole point.

It's like saying the USB 2.0 on one mouse is different from that of another.

Oh well...guess i can keep using onSync.

7. rlaika macrumors newbie

For those of you with Motorola V551s and Moto's Mobile Phone Tools/usb sync cable: does the latter make it easier to sync contacts from your Mac's Address Book than OnSync? Can one sync other info from Macs with Mobile Phone Tools, or perhaps it even allows one to use iSync? Thanks!

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

how do you like that t637? i'm thinking of getting one when i renew my contract in january, with that nice rebate so it's only 40 bucks.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, Moto uses a different standard of BT than the rest. I don't know the exact terminology, but Moto's BT implementation doesn't play nice with Apple. If all BT implementations were the same, then the Apple-Moto bluetooth issue wouldn't exist, right? ;)

Motorola phones can work with Apple, but it's difficult. If you have a Moto v600/v620 or e398, or any other good model with BT, you can sync your Address book with a USB cable, but pictures and such can be transferred via BT. So BT does works, but not with the Address Book. So you use 2 methods to transfer and sync info rather than one.

That's why I bought a Sony-Ericsson K700i. SE phones work fairly well with Macs, but sometimes it's tricky to initially get iSync to start working well with SE phones. Sometimes, instead of letting your computer "find" a nearby BT device (ie: your mobile phone), you need to use your phone to search for a nearby BT device (ie: your PB or iBook) while you do the opposite with your laptop. It's weird, but after that initial step, it's fine. :)