Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I've been using iSync with my iMac and Nokia 6600. I noticed that the first time it connected, the Mac downloaded a Symbian app to the phone, I guess so they talk the same language.

Is there a similar app available for Windows XP Pro, that would allow me to sync my iCal and Mac Contacts with Outlook or other such programs, via Bluetooth or even the local LAN?

I've been trialing the .mac service, but I really want to sync my info locally and have it available offline.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
May have a solution - useful for others?

So I'm considering the following 'solution' for when the iBook I've ordered arrives, but something similar should also work for those with Windows machines as well.

So...

My iMac already iSync's Contacts/iCal to my Nokia 6600, so I'm hoping that if I set-up the iBook's iSync, it'll pull the contact/iCal details from the 6600 and vice-versa. Effectively using the Nokia 6600 as a storage medium between the two macs.

I already use Silverkeeper to backup various files on the iMac to an external hard-drive, so I'm hoping that I can configure another copy of this app on the iBook to synchronise with the files held on the iMac (which will be network shared).

Perhaps not as slick as the .Mac service, but it doesn't cost anything (assuming you already have the bits) and doesn't rely on the Internet to xfer all your data, which usually means eating into your monthly ISP data xfer allowance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.