iSync two macs WITHOUT .mac

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by rlhubley, Jan 2, 2004.

1. rlhubley macrumors member

I don't really need the .mac membership, and therefore don't want nor can afford the membership costs. However, I am VERY excited about the benefits of using iSync. Can I sync up my iBook and old B&W G3 without using a .mac membership? I was thinking ethernet, firewire, or even via a bluetooth plug-in adapter. Will any of these options work?

2. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

although i have heard of people hacking .mac and the iDisk it's probably not ideal. actually you can sync up folders and files across multiple machines fairly easily using AppleScript. have in a look in your Scripts folder and poke around. you'll want to be looking at Folder Action Scripts as well. and check out http://www.macscripter.net for plenty of info and free scripts for just about anything you can think of. if you need help let me know, i'm not an old AppleScript pro but i've been using it quite often lately for things like this. :)

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

you were getting excited of the benefits of .mac, not isync ;)

iJon

4. rlhubley thread starter macrumors member

Well, I have never actually used applescripts before, but I will give it a whirl.

iJon, i guess you're right. I just thought it would be nice to update my home mac with my iBook with a one-button touch. Oh well, I guess apple reserves that right for those who pay a yearly fee.

Now, on to the scripts.......

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

it doesnt really keep alot in sync. just calendars, address book and safari book marks.

iJon

6. rlhubley thread starter macrumors member

ok, at least I know I'm not missing that much.

As for the applescripts, they seem a bit daunting to someone who has never really done programming. But I'm checking them out and can already see that they would give me much more control over my macs and grant me many time-saving options. Any hints on how to get my feet wet?

I saw the iSynCal program and will probably download that tonight. I am still searching for something that will do the same for my address book between two computers, and maybe even 2 computers on the same mac.

7. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

go here and download the PDF ebook "AppleScript for Absolute Starters". it's the best way to get started if you're a beginner. i was intimidated at first also but very quickly started understanding it. you'll soon see how great it is to have your machine automatically do all those repetitive tasks for you. and it's pretty amazing what more advanced scripts are capable of. you can even control a machine and it's applications remotely over the web. pretty cool stuff and fun to do and learn.

8. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

To sync my work files i use Chronosync, nice little app, i think its only $20, worth everypenny, i use it religiously.

I use .mac to sync my bookmarks, contacts and calendar between my two macs and my ipod. Also find it usefull to share my files with my family since they live out of state.

9. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i tried syncing my iBook and G4 machines per bluetooth with my z600 sonyericsson phone.

the syncing between iBook and phone worked really fine (unfortunately isync can copy appointments up to 8 weeks).

the phone's name is z600 and the iBook's name is, well duh, iBook.

when i got home i plugged in the bluetooth usb adapter and fired up the G4.

then something "funny" happened. my phone recognized my G4 as "iBook". i thought, ok, let's sync anyway with the help of iSync.

it worked out fine i mean it synced without any problems. but my work appointments were filed in iCal as "unfiled" (it got a different color).

maybe anybody can try this out too and maybe we could refine this solution.

10. Kiwi-Todd macrumors member

Redapple

Thanks for posting this info - I have been trawling around this site for ages trying to figure out if bluetooth will work for syncing between my powerbook and emac using my T610.

I will go buy a USB dongle for the emac and give a whirl.