Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
Has anyone had any luck with syncing a Motorola a630 with iSync?

I tried OnSync, but it was clumsy, didn't really do any more than I can do with AddressBook (using "Send This Card" command), and doesn't sync calendars.

I saw this hint where someone got it to work, but in Tiger, there is no /System/Library/SyncServices/MotorolaConduit.bundle

I saw this hint and really thought I had it. I think I would need the USB device code from System Profiler.

I've bought a USB cable. I plugged in the phone to my computer and could see it in the USB list in System Profiler. I had to do something else, so unplugged the phone. Later I came back, plugged the phone back in, and it no longer shows up in Profiler. Other devices do. Does that mean I burnt out the USB in my phone? Or fried the cable?

Anyway, I can't apply that last link. Hopefully it's the cable and I can get another.

Has anyone ever gotten any iSync functionality out of an a630? I'd like to know before I go blowing more money on another cable.

Thanks!

P.S. If you're interested in this, please write Apple and tell them to add it right now! :cool:

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
Gee. nobody even looked at this post after almost a whole day. So... no interest in the a630, I guess? Doesn't anyone buy new phones anymore?

tommy3rd

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2005
/System/Library/SyncServices/MotorolaConduit.bundle is for panther.

for tiger, it's :
/Applications/iSync.app/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice/Contents/PlugIns/PhoneModelsSync.phoneplugin/Contents/Resources/

Now you have to edit MetaClasses.plist file as root.

see if there is anything that mention the a series phones.
not sure which phones act like the a630, but you will have to change every single instance where it says aXXX to a630.

hope it helps.

tommy3rd

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Hmmm, I don't have any advice, but if you do get the A630 working, I would very much like to know! :eek: I'm between wanting that or a RAZR.
isync supports the v3(razr) out of the box under tiger.

tommy3rd

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Thanks. That I knew. ;) If it doesn't support the A630, then my choice is kinda made, I guess! Although...hmmm...iTunes phone.
too bad i don't have an a630 to try it on. i would love to figure out how to sync it.
i ended up with a v330 coz i didn't want to sign a contract and they wouldn't give me a discount for the a630. no contract = full price. maybe when my current contract expires in October and the a630 is still available i'll switch carriers.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
A bit off topic.... but, does anyonbe have the Nokia 6600? I do, and everything worked perfectly w/ Panther. Ever since I upgraded to Tiger though, it hasn't been working. I cannot SMS text message from my mac, for example- the option isn't even selectable. And I am synced. :(

tommy3rd

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2005
iKWICK7 said:
A bit off topic.... but, does anyonbe have the Nokia 6600? I do, and everything worked perfectly w/ Panther. Ever since I upgraded to Tiger though, it hasn't been working. I cannot SMS text message from my mac, for example- the option isn't even selectable. And I am synced. :(
have you tried shutting off all other BT devices and resyncing? just a shot in the dark..

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
tommy3rd said:

not sure which phones act like the a630, but you will have to change every single instance where it says aXXX to a630.

hope it helps.
Well, it turns out that the USB is fried on my a630, so I have to wait for a replacement. Or is this hack to get it to work with BlueTooth?

Anyway... there are no other "a" series Motorola phones... or at least not in the iSync list. From what I've heard, however, the a630 is just about the same phone as the v600 except for the form factor. So maybe I can edit the v600 profile...?

It seems odd though that I'd only need to change the name of the phone. Don't I have to worry about lines like this?
Code:
<string>com.motorola.usb-bt.0x22B8/0x4902</string>
I plugged in a friend's a630 with my USB cable (that's how I know my USB is fried) and the Profiler said this:
Code:
  Motorola Phone (A630):

Vendor Name:    Motorola Inc.
  Speed:    Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Product ID:    18690 ($4902)
  Bus Power (mA):    500
"4902" appears in both snippets... so maybe the v600 profile will work with just changing the name? Or do I need to replace the "0x22B8" in the v600 string with something from the a630 profile above?

Thanks, again, all.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
mkrishnan said:
Thanks. That I knew. ;) If it doesn't support the A630, then my choice is kinda made, I guess! Although...hmmm...iTunes phone.
The a630 is a superb phone. I admit, the RAZR would have looked really nice sitting next to my PowerBook... but the a630 is just so much more practical. If you ever want to type anything into your phone... a contact's name, a SMS message, or a web address... the full keyboard is a few kajillion times easier to use than a number pad.

Truly, the a630 is a Mac user's phone. Except for this little iSync issue. I still can't believe Apple hasn't addressed it yet... especially if it is basically the same phone as the v600, which does work with iSync. All I can imagine is that the next version of iSync will come out with the iTunes phone or with 10.4.2, whichever comes first... and it had better be soon.

Shelseeze

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2005
Hey, I have an a630, and Ive been trying to sync it up with my powerbook for days. I tried using Bluetooth to pull some pictures and phone #'s off my phone, but no success. It will like up, but wont browse the phone. If you find anything out let me know.

Toe said:
Has anyone had any luck with syncing a Motorola a630 with iSync?

I tried OnSync, but it was clumsy, didn't really do any more than I can do with AddressBook (using "Send This Card" command), and doesn't sync calendars.

I saw this hint where someone got it to work, but in Tiger, there is no /System/Library/SyncServices/MotorolaConduit.bundle

I saw this hint and really thought I had it. I think I would need the USB device code from System Profiler.

I've bought a USB cable. I plugged in the phone to my computer and could see it in the USB list in System Profiler. I had to do something else, so unplugged the phone. Later I came back, plugged the phone back in, and it no longer shows up in Profiler. Other devices do. Does that mean I burnt out the USB in my phone? Or fried the cable?

Anyway, I can't apply that last link. Hopefully it's the cable and I can get another.

Has anyone ever gotten any iSync functionality out of an a630? I'd like to know before I go blowing more money on another cable.

Thanks!

P.S. If you're interested in this, please write Apple and tell them to add it right now! :cool:

tommy3rd

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2005
Toe said:
text,text,text...
as long as you have a backup copy of that file, you got nothing to lose by trying out different things. first replace just the name, then there's also a line in there i think mentioning product ID, but more than likely it's the same.
if i'm not mistaken, that is for BT syncing. there's probably another file for USB syncing.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
tommy3rd said:
/System/Library/SyncServices/MotorolaConduit.bundle is for panther.

for tiger, it's :
/Applications/iSync.app/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice/Contents/PlugIns/PhoneModelsSync.phoneplugin/Contents/Resources/

hope it helps.
Well, that worked perfectly!

I opened that file in Text Wrangler, copied the section about the V600, changed the seven instances of "V600" to "A630" and pasted it near the top. Sync'd up like a charm.

To be precise, I opened MetaClasses.plist (open a new Finder window, press Command-Shift-G, and paste in the above string starting with /Applications/) and pasted the following code immediately before the first key tag, ie after the fourth line:
Code:
<dict>
	<key>com.motorola.A630</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Identification</key>
		<dict>
			<key>com.apple.cgmi+cgmm</key>
			<array>
				<string>"Motorola CE, Copyright 2000"+"GSM900","GSM1800","GSM1900","GSM850","MODEL=A630"</string>
				<string>"Motorola CE, Copyright 2000"+"GSM900","GSM1800","GSM1900","MODEL=A630"</string>
			</array>
			<key>com.apple.gmi+gmm</key>
			<array>
				<string>"Motorola CE, Copyright 2000"+"GSM900","GSM1800","GSM1900","GSM850","MODEL=A630"</string>
				<string>"Motorola CE, Copyright 2000"+"GSM900","GSM1800","GSM1900","MODEL=A630"</string>
			</array>
		</dict>
		<key>InheritsFrom</key>
		<array>
			<string>com.motorola.usb-bt.0x22B8/0x4902</string>
		</array>
		<key>Services</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>ServiceName</key>
				<string>com.apple.model</string>
				<key>ServiceProperties</key>
				<dict>
					<key>ModelName</key>
					<string>A630</string>
					<key>PhoneIcon</key>
					<string>MOTA630.tiff</string>
				</dict>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>
I also duplicated one of the MOT icon files and renamed it MOTA630.tiff. So it uses that phone's pic. I suppose I could make an a630 icon, but I didn't. :)

Anyway, do the above, launch iSync, select New Device, and it should make sense from there.

Thanks a million for the help!
:D :cool: :D :) :D :cool: :D

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
mkrishnan said:
Wait, so Toe, were you able to successfully sync some stuff over? Sweeeet! :)
Yup... right after sync, ny a630 started giving me reminders from iCal.

Whee!

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
Sync still seems to be working fine.

Kinda irks me that Apple hasn't released this code yet. It was relatively quite easy to hack in... Why must they delay compatibility for thousands or perhaps millions of people?

tommy3rd

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2005
Toe said:
Sync still seems to be working fine.

Kinda irks me that Apple hasn't released this code yet. It was relatively quite easy to hack in... Why must they delay compatibility for thousands or perhaps millions of people?
that might not be completely Apple's fault. motorola probably did not give specs out for the a630, so apple couldn't fully support it.

the hack is mostly credited to keapick from howardforums.com (at least that's where i found some part of the hack)
also, some people in that forum are knowledgable when it comes to cellphones from various providers. A little bit of research on motorolas in that forum did the trick. ;)

now i hope i can save enough to get my own a630. paypal donations accepted! LOL. :D

Jody

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
Hmmm... Is it ok to edit this file with Textedit? I followed all the instructions, edited the file to add that code, and the A630 still comes up as an unsupported mobile phone when I scan for new devices for iSync... I'm trying to do this via bluetooth...

I can xfer files with no problem... its just that iSync won't do its thing. What could I possibly be doing wrong here?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Jody said:
Hmmm... Is it ok to edit this file with Textedit? I followed all the instructions, edited the file to add that code, and the A630 still comes up as an unsupported mobile phone when I scan for new devices for iSync... I'm trying to do this via bluetooth...

I can xfer files with no problem... its just that iSync won't do its thing. What could I possibly be doing wrong here?

If you edit it with TextEdit, just make sure it saves again in the original file format, and did not save a rich text file or something else in the same directory next to the (unmodified) original file.

It's better to open Terminal and use pico...it's pretty self-explanatory.

Jody

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
Hmmm... i've tried with textwrangler and that won't work either....

Any chance someone with an a630 could send me the whole file so i can just replace it?

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
Enclosed is a zip of my MetaClasses.plist file.

Note that you will also need an a630 graphic. I just duped one of the other tiffs in the same folder and renamed it: MOTA630.tiff but it means that in iSync, my a630 looks like a flip phone ('cause I didn't bother to find a similar model).

Does anyone have a nice a630 tiff they'd like to share?

Attachments

• MetaClasses.plist.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 271
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.