Isync won't find ipod

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mfacey, Aug 31, 2005.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

After doing a restore of the software on my ipod, isync will no longer find it. I've tried reconnecting the ipod, also restoring it again. I'm running all the latest versions of the applicable software. Anybody have any advice as to how I can get isync to find it?

Thanks!

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

In Tiger, iTunes handles syncing to the iPod in place of iSync.

3. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

Ah right! I actually knew that but had forgotten about it. Strangely though, the help file in iSync stills explains how to use isync with your ipod. Very confusing! :rolleyes:

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yep, it's a confusing mess. I understand why they did it -- having two different programs competing for control of the iPod wasn't the most reliable way to go -- but it would have been nice if they put in some kind of proxy thing so that there would still be only one place to do sync things. :(

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^Yeah, but why did they choose the iPod? They should have chose iSync as that one place to sync from.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think it was iTunes 4.8 that allowed iPods to be synced directly rather than going through iSync. This was released a matter of weeks after Tiger though, so for those first few weeks, we still used iSync (as we did in Panther) but this soon became redundant.

However, this still doesn't explain why restoring your iPod made the iSync functionality go away. :confused:

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

What, like have iSync take care of syncing music too? That would have been a pretty weird choice too.

The old method failed too often, with iSync and iTunes racing to grab the device. iSync would sometimes hang, the iPod would be stuck mounted in the Finder even if it wasn't set to do so. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

.Mac has also been removed from iSync, so it's looking like iSync is something that may eventually be phased out (but where might the phones and PDAs go?).