iSync

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sparkleytone, Sep 14, 2002.

1. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

Mac OS X Rumors has some great coverage on iSync, as the guy has gotten a build of the beta. Seems to be pretty sweet.

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I have the beta, I used it to sync my .mac stuff , which is another great feature of isync and also you can have a little thing in the menu for it

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Developer Question : Open API?

Do any of you know if Apple are going to provide an open API for iSync when it's released. As far as I can tell it should be able to sync with any SyncML datasource but is there some way of defining such a datasource. Basically I want to be able to sync my (Mac) laptop to my KDE (on Linux) desktop. I am willing to write a daemon (and release as open-source) to provide the linux side of this, but without an API to write a plugin for on the Mac it won't work.

4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I hope they expand the list of devices that iSync can work with. If Mac's had a bilt in infrared port, they could use that technology to sync with a bunch of cell phones and PDA's.

5. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Well, all the PowerBooks do, and the early iMacs had IR aswell, but in OS X only the PowerBooks have IR support.

6. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

first: cant wait for iSync

but as far as IR goes..it always found it to be a pretty shaky technology in practice...and maybe i am blind and dumb...but my TiBook doesnt have an IR port...never has. maybe old powerbooks did..

7. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Well, my PowerBook G4 (400mhz, 1st model...) does have an IR Port, it's on the left side. Well, I looked at the PowerBook page (apple.com/powerbook) and couldn't find it either (http://a1008.g.akamai.net/7/1008/51...m/powerbook/images/specs_callouts04302002.gif). I guess apple discontiued it. It does work with my Nokia phone (so I can use it as a modem), and I have transfered files between by iMac 233, and my Pismo as well. What shame, oh well, I hope bluetooth will catch on then.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

IR port

that is something i noticed too. the ti books used to have them until the dvi powerbook came out. probably dropped because bluetooth is the new thing.

iJon