It arrived!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Butler Trumpet, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Finally!!! After the longest week ever... my new iBook is here (check specs in my signature) I then ran out and got a wireless router... that was a pain to set up, but finally got that working. Anyway, its awesome, the best investment I have ever made!!!! :D

2. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

How was the wireless router a pain to setup? You plug in your internet connection, turn on AirPort and VOILA! Or at least that's all I had to do.

I literally walked in the door, unwrapped my NetGear router, plugged everything in, turned on my laptop and airport, checked the internet connection, then sat down for dinner in under 5 minutes. Later in the evening I setup WEP and Port Forwarding.

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Congratulations! I purchased an iBook in March... It's a great machine!

5. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Still a bit confused I think

The Problem that I was... and kinda still am having, is that I live in an appartment complex, and someone else near me is using a Linksys router also... before I even plugged it in, I had wireless access... but it was through theres. So My question is, how can I be sure I am using mine now, and not theres because in the airport pull down menu it still just says "linksys"... the same thing is said before I plugged my router in. AND my router is on the other side of a wall... like if the wall wasnt there it would be about 10 feet, and I only have 3 bars of signal, not 4. So am I still running off someone elses signal, cause mine seams a little weak for being so close.

Also what is WEP? Would that help if I did that? Thanks

6. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

You need to change your SSID (which is currently set to "linksys" on both your router and the neighbor's).

First, plug your machine via a wire into the router and turn-off the AirPort card.

Next, open a browser to http://192.168.1.1

By default the Linksys login is a blank username and "admin" for the password.

Now, you will be seeing the web-based configuration for your router. I believe there is a "wizard" type thing that you can go through, but I usually just change things by hand. At the very least, change the SSID to some string you enjoy. Then, that string will show-up as an available wireless network in your AirPort list.

I'd also recommend setting-up one form of encryption or another (WEP is one type). Personally, I use "PSK" WPA (sorry - I just got a LinkSys to replace my D-Link and I don't have the interface memorized enough to tell you the exact place to find it). I think you look on the Wireless->Security tab and in there, pull-down the encryption box and look for PSK (pre-shared-key). Then, you will need to enter a password (the pre-shared-key) -- remember this, because you enter it on the laptop to enter your network. This will keep other people from using your connection (if that bothers you -- if not, just change the SSID and call it good).

I would highly recommend setting the router's log-in password to keep people from setting it for you (since it's using the <blank> and "admin") thus preventing you from logging-in to your own router.

Hope that helps. Once you get into the router's config system, you can nose-around and see what makes sense to fiddle with. Also, once you get the SSID set so that you are sure you're connecting to YOUR router, you can unplug the wired ethernet and do it all wirelessly (unless you bork a setting and cannot connect via the wireless, and then just plug the wire back in).

Mike