It Arrivedddd!!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Fredstar, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Sorry guys had to say big thumbs upto TNT, my Upto date Tiger arrived early today. Although i ordered it a while after my original order that should also come today.
    But anyway Tiger is amazing, amazing and just brilliant. I am one happy chappy and i hope others come today as promised so we can all enjoy Tiger!!!!!

2. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

When will Apple start bundling Tiger with their notebooks? I need a new powerbook, but I really don't want to order Tiger via the up-to-date program.. that would mean that I would have to wait at least another week for Tiger once I've received the PB...

3. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Apparently they are already being added to the boxes.
    Oh man Tiger is so cool!
    Just in case someone didn't add but there is a keyboard short cut to activate spotlight which you can change to anything.
    Only dissapointment is the fact that i can't localise the Weather to my town, i am sure there will be a new widget soon.
    My other (full retail) copy just arrived, again well done to TNT

4. The_Roo macrumors member

I'm in Liverpool and I could localise the weather widget to Liverpool, or at least I could the second time I tried. The first time it set the locale to Liverpool in America I think. The second time, it actually asked me what Liverpool I was in.

5. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Yeh but i live in Weybridge, suburbs of London and the closest i can get to my town is Wimbledon that is about 15 miles away.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Apparently, if you type the name and click Done, you're likely to end up with the North American equivalalent of the city so Londoners might end up with London, Kentucky or London, Ontario

If you hit 'return', you get a list of all the 'Londons' it has

7. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

YEah me too!!!!!! just received it 10 minutes ago!!!! Now how do i ask my dad to get the **** off the computer nicely..hehehe :D :D

8. jhomayne macrumors regular

my copy MIGHT be upstairs in reception! (i live in halls at the mo)

thing is.. i can't be bothered to walk all the way up there... :(

9. jhomayne macrumors regular

it wasn't.. :rolleyes:

10. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Um is it just me or are there no Smart folders for spotlight???
    I can't seem to find anything that would it one :S

11. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Lol just found it, they have it in the finder search finder but not the desktop one. Seems strange, wonder if they will add this later.

12. dpclark macrumors member

mine arrived at half seven this morning - have installed this copy on my g3 ibook while I wait for my second copy to arrive from america for the imac (have a friend getting it for me) - all I can say in NICE!!!!!

had to install using the dvd drive on the imac with the ibook in target mode - but worked a treat and I'm posting on the ibook now!!! all I need to know is - how do i remove the additional langauages - not sure if I missed that option (got rid of the massive ammount of print drivers they wanted to install) but I have everything from dutch to japanise on here.......

UPDATE:

Had anyone else put tiger on a portable yet - I've noticed that battery life has gone through the roof - my battery has never lasted this one before!!!!

13. whiteangel macrumors regular

How lucky you guys are

I am so envious of you guys that I am on the verge of crying.

I ordered my Tiger on the 12th of April, thinking that if I pre-order I'll definitely get it before or today. The website said it shipped yesterday, today the tracking is still not found on TNT's website. I called Apple and TNT, and apparently Apple sent out the item but TNT hasn't received it yet so it's still in transit. So I'll get it only on tuesday. I was so angry ! :mad: Why didn't they send it out earlier so that they could ensure that pre-orders arrive in time. The woman just replied "it takes 2-3 working days to ship" realising her stupidity I decided to give up.

I am so sad I can't play with Tiger today. And I actually stopped myself from trying to download it off the net as I wanted to support Apple as this is what I get......... doesn't pay to be good i suppose.

Who should I go and kill for causing me not to get my Tiger today? I'm so so sad..... and all I can do is to sulk at home and read about people who received their Tiger and try to imagine how is it like to have it. :(
    It's silly to cry over something like this right ... sigh....

14. markoibook macrumors regular

This is all good to hear - I have a G3 iBook and am cautious about the performance of Tiger - but I have heard good things from G3 owners, so I may bite the bullet and order later.

One quick question for everyone (as my iBook only has a CD drive) I know that you can install it from another machine by putting iBook into Target Disk Mode, but is it possible doing it the other way round - i.e. Put the iMac into target disk mode and just install it on to the iBook from the iMac's DVD drive?

And exactly how does it work installing Tiger onto a machine which is currently in target disk mode - does it prompt you for all your reg info on the other machine, or install it and wait for you to take the machine out of target disk mode?

Cheers,

Marko

15. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Mate i have a spare retail copy if you are that desperate in the Weybridge, Surrey area, if you are near the Weybridge area you can pick it up. Call up Apple, see if you can cancel your order and get a refund and i can sell you mine for like £70 (it is completely sealed - i already have used my upto date copy)

16. jhomayne macrumors regular

erm. i'm sure it'll be alright in the end. just install Konfabulator or something to provide that almost-tiger experience.

i'm still waiting too. ;)

17. whiteangel macrumors regular

Thank you very much for your kind offer. I am not sure how far Surrey is from Manchester. Apparently I can cancel it if I want...

Mine is a student copy so I paid £58. I'm contemplating going down to Microanvika in Selfridges (Manchester) at 6pm to get it for £89 but my boyfriend scolded me and asked me to wait. Should I pay £31 extra to get it earlier? Those of you with Tiger, can you please tell me if it worth it to pay that amount to get it today as opposed to Tuesday? Is there a chance I can get it tomorrow? Does TNT ship on saturdays?

I was dreaming about Tiger last night, in my dream I couldn't get my Tiger. I woke up feeling really scared and now its confirmed that my dream is true !

Is this how Apple rewards me for trying to show my support?

18. whiteangel macrumors regular

I have konfabulator already.

Its just all this anticipation of playing with Tiger today. Now I'm just gonna stare at my screen the whole day.

I'm still hoping that TNT and Apple are planning a surprise for me. And suddenly it'll ring my bell and ask me to sign for it. Wishful thinking right :rolleyes:

ok i'll stop sulking. bet you guys are sick of a whiny little girl

19. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Lol unfortunately you are North and i am South England, ah well.
    Hey hang in there, I know it is frustrating when everyone is getting it...but Tiger, while fancy and loads of kewl things, isn't that great once you have had it for a few hours :p.
    Just chill, unfortunately TNT do not deliver on saturdays, i am sorry to say unless it is a saturday service. Tiger will come :)

20. reegez macrumors newbie

tiger shutdown

i upgraded my 2 macs to tiger and both now hang on shutdown - anyone get the same?

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I am seriously impressed. I spent all afternoon backing up my data for a full install or to recover from a bad archive and install only to not be able to find the options on the Tiger disk. Nevermind, the default Apple way (as always) was the best option. After about forty-five minutes, I'm up and running on Tiger with no effort on my behalf and all my emails, contacts, settings etc are perfectly intact. Isn't Apple lovely. :)

BTW, Safari is the most impressive part of the whole thing. I was a little sceptical of Tiger up until I started using it a few hours ago and all I can say is it's well worth the price. My iBook feels like a new machine.

22. PieMac macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately I'm getting a little less battery life after installing Tiger. I have a two month old 15" Powerbook. Anyone else?

23. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Wow Tiger is really kewl, considering this cost us £12 in an upto date it is so worth the money. Not too buggy, looking forward to 10.4.2-5
    Just a few general observations after a few hours using:

-Airport range has maxed out from 2-3 off max
    -Quicktime 7 is uber kewl but needs refinement, playing 1080p h.264 codec stuff is a bit choppy - although this is probably down to the lackluster gfx i have
    -Spotlight is incredible - just having fun finding all my old stuff, finds pretty much anything.
    -Dashboard - downloaded all the widgets, very kewl stuff. The droplet effect is lush.
    -isync - great, if i get a laptop or something
    -Automator - superb application, but again needs new updates to it. Has the potential to be a amazing time saving application just needs a few updates.
    -Now use Safari exclusively - RSS is mighty kewl
    -The Screensavers! So kewl, gotta love the iTunes artwork and RSS feed ones the best.
    -the new Preview slideshow - So handy!

There are so many little things we could all go about for a long time, but Tiger has just about improved on every aspect of Panther. But i am one happy camper, it is a great time to be a Mac user :).