It can't be that hard: NSData & NSString

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by bbarnhart, Jun 27, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2002
    Stilwell, Kansas
    I've resurrected an old Cocoa project and after making some additions I'm still stuck on something that caused me to stop in the first place. I'm still learning Cocoa so I may not quite "get it" yet, but this can't be that hard.

I've got a xml file I want to upload to my web server. I want to add some data before the xml data. Basically, my url looks like this:

http://../myphp.php?type=Put&file=xxx.xml&data=<xmldata here>

So, I've tried building an NSString to put "type=Put&file=xxx.xml&data=" and then copy that into an NSMutableData object. Then I add the xml to the NSMutableData. I had it "working" once, but then it failed with a different xml file.

Am I making a mistake with Unicode or am I not understanding fully how NSString and NSMutableData works? Any help would be appreciated!

- (void) makeXML
      NSXMLDocument* xmlDoc = [[NSXMLDocument alloc] initWithRootElement:root];
      NSData *xmlData = [xmlDoc XMLDataWithOptions:NSXMLNodePrettyPrint];
      [xmlData writeToFile:@"/Users/b...barnhart/Temp/hello.xml" atomically:YES];
      [self uploadTest: xmlData];
      return TRUE;
    - (void) uploadTest: (NSData*) data
      NSURL* webServiceURL = [NSURL URLWithString:@"http://.../~b...barnhart/.../xxxxxx.php"];
      NSMutableURLRequest* urlRequest = [NSMutableURLRequest requestWithURL:webServiceURL];
      NSString* str = @"type=Put&filename=xxx.xml&data=";
      const char* utf_str = [str UTF8String];
      NSMutableData* mute_data = [NSMutableData dataWithLength:strlen(utf_str) + [data length]];
      [mute_data appendBytes:utf_str length:strlen(utf_str)];
      [mute_data appendData:data];
      ... stops working down here, but I think the problem is above
  2. Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    The best way to go from NSString to NSData is via NSString's dataUsingEncoding:allowLossyConversion: method, and you usually want NSUTF8StringEncoding as the encoding.