It finally happen.....question though??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by prp134, Mar 6, 2007.

1. prp134 macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2005
    Im the new owner of my first new Mac, A black Macbook. So like all new things, there will be some adjusting.

two questions

1. In my old pc, i have a mouse with a scroll ball? in the middle of it. In which then I click on the website and can scroll down the page with just scrolling the little ball. Can I do this with an apple mouse? or even in a mac os?

2. Copy and paste, will I be able to do it as I have always done it in a pc?
  2. Nick9597 macrumors member

Mar 5, 2007
    Well I'll try to answer your questions as best as possible. If you want to use your current mouse with your macbook that is a possibility (if its bluetooth or usb). Now if you want to buy a new apple mouse, it has a scroll wheel on it, however it is very different from a standard mouse. It takes some getting used to but it is very nice.
    Copying and pasting is just as easy on a mac as on a PC. As far as being able to do it the same way, it just depends how you did it on the pc. On a mac you can right click if you have the correct mouse.

Hope this helps.
  3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Aug 30, 2006
    You can also use two fingers on the touch pad to scroll :)
  4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    and it is so easy and efficient as well! I love two finger scrolling. I always get caught out on a PC or older Mac with it, and the curser goes flying everywhere :D
  5. superleccy macrumors 6502a

Oct 31, 2004
    That there big London
    Basically yes. Cut: :apple:X, Copy: :apple:C Copy: :apple:V.

It's a bit annoying if you're switching from Windows because the :apple: key is placed in a different position to the Windows Ctrl key. You get used to it - until you have to switch back to PC... grrr!

Also with right mouse-clicks (or ctrl-clicks) or the edit menu.

However, in the finder Copy, Cut and Paste don't work quite the same way as in Windows Explorer... but as soon as you've discovered spring-loaded folders you won't be too bothered about that.

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    Using the Apple mighty Mouse you can also scroll in any direction. Not just up and down and believe it or not it has 4 programmable buttons too. :)

Best mouse ever! :D
  7. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2004
    London, UK
    Congratulations, you're in for a nice ride!

I think most ex switchers recall their first weeks with their first Mac with fond memories...

On switching : You're using another user interface that has its own philosophy, which basically boils down to : everything you see, you can interact with. So just a tip : think drag/drop.

You'll hardly need context menus (right click) or accessing the menubar on top, most functionalities are available through drag/drop, :apple: + drag /drop , option + drag/drop, shift drag/drop.

Have fun!