It happend to me :'(

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Solafaa, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    I read somewhere that there are two kind of computer users, ones that have lost information and those who will.

I had a problem with my logiteck (spelling) board or something and i lost all my info on my Desktop. The good thing is that its kinda new so i did not lose much important information. Bad thing i lost tones of videos (downloadeed) and funnyt clips and stuff.

Oh well. Guys buck up your info I swear its not the best feeling.

Come on guys make me feel better, tell me some of your storys.
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Well, I wish I had an entertaining story to tell but my computing life is pretty boring since I've always had backups of my most important data. I guess I shall always remain boring. :(
  3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    Still waiting to lose one of my drives.

I'll let u know ;)

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    In the early 1980s, I had written a small programme to update our company's inventory balances file. My boss stayed late to help me test the thing since the utmost precision was necessary and I was new to the company--still going to technical school.

We started by making copies of the various files necessary for the test. We ran the test successfully and prepared to put things back in place. One by one, he gave me steps. At one point, I questioned his instructions "Are you sure that we should do that at this point?" "Yes, I sure." Since I didn't know the software packages files that well, I went along with it. Within minutes, we had no inventory balances file. :eek:

Within another 45 minutes or so restoring the file from 8 inch (DSDD) diskettes, everything was fine again, except for our nerves.

I have enjoyed more unfortunate cases but it's always nice to have a happy ending. :)
  5. nospleen macrumors 68000

Dec 8, 2002
    I lost 2000 photos about two weeks ago. I stopped backing up to dvd's, like an idiot, when I purchased my firewire drive. I needed to back up a huge video file for my sister, so I needed to get rid of the partition on my external. So, I deleted all of my back up stuff and backed her video up. I then moved the video to her new mac and then cleared my external hd once more. I decided to do a fresh install, so I backed everything up, erhhhh, almost everything to my external. After I restored my powermac and went to load everything back, I must have searched the external drive 800 times hoping I would find my pics. But, I lost em all. What an idiot :eek: I lost all of my kids pics, birth, birthday, etc... The misses was not too happy. Luckily I found an old dvd backup, but it only had 1300 photos. But, I am now a dvd backing up fool, so maybe something good will come out of this.
  6. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2004
    ct, us
    I used to be a Windows user, so I've lost plenty of data in my day. :p

I try to keep a current backup of all my pictures and music because I don't know what I would do if I ever lost them.
  7. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    Before I bought my original iBook, I was using my trusty old Toshiba laptop. The CD drive had died on it a while back, and this was before I bought a PCMCIA drive, so I had to backup things up to a different partition. The only way for me to install win98 was to do win3.1 first :eek: then copy over win95 (31 floppies :eek: :eek: ) and THEN install off the HD. One night I just could not get the installer to boot, and had to delete the partition with my backups on it. Like, my backups from 4 years previous. I still have some of the junk back at home in the US, but a lot of it was lost. I wasn't as much pissed as I was sad.

Also there was the time when I tried backing up my iBook to my Linux server before I knew about the data fork :rolleyes: Everything I backed up was ruined :(
  8. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    I'm actually waiting for DiskWarrior to tell me it can fix my drive right now.

I stupidly unplugged it (LaCie Firewire drive) while my PB was sleeping. Now my 250GB partition - yes, it was full - won't mount...

Crossed fingers.
  9. JDar macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2003
    brap, trust in Disk Warrior--it will reconstruct your directory and find the files. (Let us hear if it doesn't) ;)

A scary finding from a time I was using a TI mini-computer in an office. It required a certain kind and size of tape for back-up. Thinking I was clever I bought tapes which were slightly longer but the same otherwise. For two years we went through the process of backup each night and in reality had no backups.

On a visit from the hardware maintenance people we were informed that required meant required. No data loss but I was asking for it.
  10. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    Once I was swapping drives and the one I was using as a backup died after I put linux on it. Lost a lot of written work and storys and a heck load of other stuff.

Because I lost the writings, I kinda lost heart in the art as well and don't write anymore.
  11. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I feel your pain. Rule one is burn your CF card to disc before you do ANYTHING ELSE. Period.

I decided to put one of my shoots on the desktop (I told myself I'd burn it later), and ended up deleting it forever. I had to do the whole shoot over at my expense.

Never ever again. Now I take my iPod and my iBook with me, burn a disc, slap a copy on my iPod, and one on the iBook.
  12. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    ipod, external drive, and dvd-rs :) and ftp my best friends for back up
  13. pigbat macrumors regular

Jan 18, 2005
    I learned this lesson a few weeks ago also. My external "backup" drive failed a couple months ago and I kept meaning to get a replacement but didn't. Then... boom my WinXP machine crashes during a defrag. I lost all of my pictures and thousands of ripped CD's. I can rerip it all which is a lot of work but the pics are gone.

I think it was Windows parting shot at me as it knew I was moving on. :confused:
  14. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    Well, Diskwarrior seems to be doing nothing. Well, it's doing stuff, but it's sitting there. I left it for about 5 hours "Inspecting disk" before I decided to force quit and give it nother shot. Restarted... nothing.

The data is still there, I know because believe it or not MacDrive still mounts the dodgy partition on my PC! Worst comes to worst I can burn a few (scratch -- many) DVDs and fill up my internal so I can reformat. But if MacDrive can rea the partition, surely OS X should have no problem!

15. firewizard macrumors member

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    my sad story

well i am a IT guy for the marine corps, currently im in iraq in the middle of no where, so we have 3 servers total, but only enough HD to run two, so our first is our BDC runnning beautiful NT server and exchange 5.5 (its an old mess i know) and our second server is our file server and backup server running a RAID 5 with one hot swappable, well one day i had the unfortunate of a HD failing on the backup problem beeped at me for a good hour but the hot swap took over no problem....then more beeping...hmmm not good, another HD failed on our backup server now were running a degraded RAID 5 using two HD and yesterday our BDC HD took a dump....we were running mirror on that one so the other harddrive just took over.....then exchange crashed....oh no problem have a backup....backup restore didnt take.....corrupt information yep i had the wonderful thing to tell 200 ppl that they just lost all there email a BGEN inculded and i had to rebuild our exchangee server (still up goin on 36 hrs at time of this writing) so hopefully my story makes some of you feel better :) as of now everything is bakup sort of were still running degraded RAID's but no HD to replace them....but were up and running...good enough
  16. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yikes!!! what a horror story!!1
  17. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    always remember that nothing is backed up until it's backed up twice :cool:
  18. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    well, i just lost 3 hard drives in the last 3 month, about 100 GByte of data (work related). it's good to know that you have it backed up. but it's a major pain to get everything set up the way it was before (file locations, icons, short cuts.....)

back up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. bostonwhaler1 macrumors member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada

As a (then) relatively novice computer user, I put far too much faith in the quality of my iBook 500. 3-years worth of university work, recordings, music, pictures, movies all came crashing down one sad sad Wednesday afternoon. Tried to restore any of the files with a bootable Linux disk, all to no avail. One of the most traumatic experiences I've been through.

Needless to say, I now backup my 15" Powerbook all the time. I own 2 external firewire drives (2.5" enclosures), of which one comes with me in my bag, and the other stays at home.

As you now know, all it takes is losing everything before you learn this difficult lesson.