It has arrived!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gator95, Jul 1, 2005.

1. gator95 macrumors newbie

My new toy is here. An iMac Rev B 20". Wow. This screen is amazing. My only disappointment so far is the Quicken software. It is not nearly as good as what I was using on Windows. Converting looks like it is going to be a bear since there is quite a bit of missing functionality. Does anyone know of a solution or am I going to have to keep a Windows machine available just for that? I can do that, but it will only be a temorary solution since the iMac is replacing an aging machine that is in decline after 5+ years of solid service. Did I say wow?

2. ksz macrumors 68000

Very cool. Quicken on Mac sucks; it's horrific in fact compared to its Windows siblings.

While I really don't like Apple's choice for video card on the iMac, the rest of the package just screams "Buy Me".

3. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Congratulations on the Rev. B 20"! My father just upgraded his Mac clone to that model. I look forward to playing with it when I can next make it across from the Atlantic to the Pacific. The update from the rev. a provided such a value bump - including on the graphics with the better card included from Rev. A. Having a very competent dual 1.42 G4 PM with a ATI 9000 with 64 MB of VRAM, I look with some envy on your 9600 with 128 MBs.

Enjoy it! :)

4. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Hey congratulations on switching. I haven’t made that yet so I can't really recommend a alternative to Quicken but after a search it seems everyone is disappointed with it and there isn't a very good alternative sorry. :(

5. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I run Quicken for Windows on an old XP machine that I keep hidden in the closet. Every year I cross my fingers for Apple to release a financial management package, but they haven't done it yet.

Quicken for Mac is truly awful and money management is a huge gaping hole in the OS X software landscape.

6. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

On thing that is really hurting Quicken for Mac is the lack of support for multiple currencies. If it had that, even with the bad interface, I would get in a sec.
    Back to managing my expenses in Excel...

7. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

8. gator95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies. Based on what I have found, conversion of Quicken data is going to be nearly impossible. Since I am rather attached to it, I am going to pull an old Windows 98 laptop out of my closet for Quicken only. When my office retires my Windows XP laptop in 18 months, I will transfer to that instead. Hopefully, someone will release some decent financial software for the Mac while I still have a few good years left on those machines. Despite the lack of Quicken, I am really loving the iMac. I can't wait to test out the video editing capabilities.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I haven't used Quicken on Windows. Been using Quicken on my Mac since about 1993. I saw it demonstrated at MacWorld Boston. Immediately fell in love with the program, found it easy to use. Is it the export and import function that isn't working properly?

10. gator95 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am having trouble importing the backup from Windows. In fact, I have not been able to successfully do it yet. I have to try backing up the old version again. I also read that there is limited functionality on the Mac when compared to the Windows version. I have not yet proven that this is true personally, but I did a search on this forum and that is what I found.

11. GlynJones macrumors 6502

One option is virtual PC. That should be able to run Quicken for window quite well without having to go back to using a hardware PC.