It has just occured to me that PC users are actually starting to like macs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by couch potato, Sep 29, 2003.

1. couch potato macrumors regular

I think Apple is going the right direction. The Apple site is now updated constantly with new technologies, etc... and PC users are really starting to dig macs (everything but the price, that is). I am a member at a hardcore PC forums, and something suprised me.

click here! to go to the PC forums post

sure, not everyone likes 'em, but it's getting better, and much faster:)

i am filled with joy:) oh BTW, does anyone know if those 2ghz G5's are shipping?:confused:

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i just switched 2 friends and they each have 15 inch powerbooks. their cousin came over to his house and saw his powerbook for 10 minutes. he sent back his new dell and bought a 15 inch powerbook today.

iJon

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

My roommate, who just got an HP over the summer is beyond jealous of my PowerBook and two of my friends who are hardcore PC users both were drooling when I showed them my new PowerBook. Macs are definitely gaining respect. I hear people asking me questions about them or making comments whenever I go to the library or open up a Mac Addict before class starts.

4. BlackGem macrumors newbie

I got a 12"pb for school, so it was nice size to take to class for note taking. Everyone is always like "That thing is nice, its so small. How fast is it, i bet they had to dumb it down to get it that small" I ask thme what pc they have, and most of the time they get pissed when I tell them my laptop is more powerful then thier pc.

5. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

I agree, it seems to me that people who are truly educated about computers have respect for the Apple platform. A lot of my friends who are compsci majors or just avid hobbyists really enjoy using my using computer and seem to respect it as well.

One of my friends went so far as to not want to see my computer, because he said then he would want one even more than he already does.

However, PC novices, seem to just dismiss the Mac as a machine that is useless, expensive, and just a toy.

6. BlackGem macrumors newbie

I also know people who just dismiss mac's because they heard they are slow. I show them some things on my laptop and they are like "this is fast, and its a laptop?" My friends who dont switch over are only because of games. the lack of games. Personaly, I hate computer games most of the time. i like console games, and I usualy am playing a console haha.

7. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

All the educated computer users I know favor *nix systems over Windows. None of them have Macs but they all agree that for web, video and graphic design a Mac is preferable.

The only Mac bashing I encounter is from idiots who want to play games and smoke pot all day.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've noticed growing Mac acceptence over the past 2 years at some of the PC forums I hit.

Lethal

9. couch potato thread starter macrumors regular

yeah thats what i get from a lot of my friends. macs are really getting better in two ways:

1. Their CPU and graphics cards are finally up to date
    2. We are getting more games, as more people join the mac. Halo, Doom 3 just to name a few:)

10. Steradian macrumors 6502

All things take time my friends...I know people who say that a 2GHz comp couldn't posibly beat something that is 3ghz "let alone 3.2 Ghz"....People are sheep...bah

11. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

And don't forget the cute lil' 12" iBook. The white color is cool, and the white glowy apple looks especially nice against the white case. Chicks dig it. No one else is making a white computer. It may not be as powerful as the PBooks, but at $949 for the CD-ROM iBook with Edu discount, the price is right. (Ok, fine, I got mine for $1299 a year ago, but the 800 MHz model is now $999 for those folks that can get by with just a CD-ROM).

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I was talking to my best friend about my upcoming switch, and the conversation went something like this:

Me: ".... and it's going to be really cool, and ..."

Him: "But, it's a Mac!"

Me: "Well, I can do pretty much everything I was doing before, it's a faster machine than I was running on, ..."

Him: "But, it's... a... Mac!"

Me: "OS X is Unix based, you know. It's not THAT bad..."

Him: "But.... it's .... "

Me: "You know what I read somewhere? 'The people who make fun of you for having a Mac are the same people who keep calling you to fix their Windows computer.'"

Him: *silence*

He's being a little facetious, as he generally is, but that was pretty much how it went. :)

My 12" PB should be arriving on Thursday..

13. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

What I like about this one is it shuts up both Windows bigots and Linux bigots. It's a beautiful thing.

14. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Not to mention you can get special order Macs with a straight Linux partition or a second HD with Linux preinstalled for those who really insist on Linux. The Mac is really gaining grounds, I have seen quite a few people switch or gain interest in my 3 years of college. Between my new PowerBook, OS X, and people seeing how iChat is better than AIM, how Safari is a whole lot better than IE, how Office looks and feels faster and sleeker on OS X, etc, people are generally just blown away whenever I pull my PowerBook out.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I overheard some guys in my office talking about how much XP sucks. Computer guys... I was laughing. I wonder if it's that OS X is so good, or that Windows is just so bad. Maybe a combination of both. My favorite line here has been "Macs aren't perfect, but they sure look that way next to a PC".

I love it when the same people that say Macs are toys, are the ones who won't buy one because it won't run their favorite games. Yeah, good point. :rolleyes:

16. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, OS X is the reason why I'm making the switch.

Up through System 8.5 (the last version of the Mac OS I ever used prior to X, and still use on an old iMac) I thought that Macs were nice, but quaint. The software selection was very limited, and expensive, and it really didn't offer much of an advantage for me to switch. The hardware was always slick, but also very expensive. The sum total was not worth the cost of switching platforms.

All of that changed when I took a good look at OS X. It's Unix (I'd always wanted to replace Windows on my PCs with Linux, but it was always too clunky and difficult to sysadmin), it runs major software applications, it can do all the GNU and other *nix apps, it can do my C++ and Java development work, etc. All the advantages of that Unix environment I'd always wanted to set up on my PC, with the ease of use that I wanted, and the major apps that I needed. And hey, the hardware is still really slick, so there's a nice bonus.

Unfortunately price is still a bone of contention, but I have a nice student discount which reduces the disparity and I hope that the oft-stated "Macs stay in usable service longer than PC's" is true, as I find myself building a new PC practically every year or two.

Not having to deal with Windows security updates and viruses will be nice, though not a huge deal for me. In fact, I scotfed at all those who kept complaining about the endless virii, particularly SWEN.... "Geez," I said.. "I never worry about these silly updates, I'm behind a firewall and I never open unusual email attachments". Well, yesterday I discovered that one of my PC's indeed DOES have a virus... probably my first infection since the day I found the "Stoned" virus on a 5.25" floppy disk...

But the idea of running Unix is highly appealing to me. Without it, I would personally still not have taken the Mac very seriously as an alternative to Windows.

17. Waluigi macrumors 6502

The G4 Cube, the PowerBook G4 Titanium, and now the G5 are the things that have really caught attention of the PC crowds. Once their heads are turned, then they can see the beauty of OS X, but OS X is not the thing that has made them notice macs.

--Waluigi

18. evilsprung macrumors member

Re: It has just occured to me that PC users are actually starting to like macs

hahah wtf, you act suprised as if this is a new thing. Geez people have been switching all the time or at least started using or considering macs. I mean hell I bought my 12" pb back in april, but my reasons were solely seen from a developer standpoint. Just because one guy posts he bought a mac doesnt necessarily mean Apple is "heading in the right direction." If anything I'm willing to bet its more of the consumer just wising up to the both Mac and PC systems being sold, but my all means that doesn't mean the mac community was able to convert one from the otherside. Seriously wth is up with that? Of course maybe that's not what you were intending and possibly I've digressed off on a tangent, to which, I apologize. But its posts similar to this that totally add fuel to all the Mac bigots out there.