IT in research paper?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GrandPhrase, Nov 29, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

I'm writing a research paper on India's information technology and its growth.

Can you use I.T. / IT as a replacement for "Information technology"? I'm thinking no, but just making sure, as the book I'm using for reference uses "IT" and am really tempted to use it.

Thanks.

2. macrumors 68020

From what I've learned, no but if you quote it, you can keep it as it is.

3. Guest

Yes. You would structure it similar to:

Just make sure to use the full term once with the abbreviation. Then you can use the abbreviation from there on out.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick response.

----------

Oh really? Makes it much more convenient lol. Thanks. (Conflicts with the leenak's post, but.. lol)

5. Guest

All my experience has been with writing research papers for history and government classes in undergrad using Chicago style and information research papers in information studies for grad school in APA style.

I've never had a problem. Though some professors are picky and don't like abbreviations. However, they usually make that known at the start of the semester.

YMMV.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Am using it right now and am planning to ask my professor later if he allows it. If not - find and replace lol.

7. macrumors 68020

Yeah, it does depend. I guess I've used abbreviations for other things like NIH (National Institutes of Health) but IT was always something I spelled out.