It is about time!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

In CIA Director Tenet's testimony before the Senate today he finally came out and said that Cheney, Bush, and others (most notably Doug Feith) have misstated the CIA's view on intelligence in Iraq. Here is the KnightRidder piece.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't see Bush being able to fire Tenet now without creating a HUGE political firestorm. If Bush was gonna do that he should have done it right after the war when people still believed him. Not that that would have saved him, Tenet would have told if he got fired anyway, but at least there would have been the 'well, he's a disgruntled former employee' defense that they used against O'Neil pretty successfully. So now he has to sit there while the head of the CIA, his dad's former organization, tells people he didn't approve things being said by the administration in the run-up to (and even since) the war. Bush tried to blame the CIA for bungling the intelligence, but all signs pointed towards the WH misinterpreting the data to put it charitably.

So now he has a fight with the CIA and a fight with the Democrats at the same time. We'll see how well his staff can handle this on top of Iraq, Afghanistan, the WOT, Haiti, North Korea, Iran, Pakistan, and anything else that happens to pop up. Haiti wasn't handled particularly well.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I wonder if any president has ever had a rockier relationship with the intelligence community. Bush made a major tactical error when he tried to place the blame for Iraq on the CIA. You could see that Tenent was prepared to play the good soldier, but it had to sting.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wow, this is huge. or at least it should be. i wonder if the public at large has become overwhelmed w/ this and now tunes it out.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That's what I'm afraid of. Especially in an election year when it's wall to wall politics 24/7.

Hopefully this will make covers of magizines and headline news stories and not just get lost in the shuffle.

Lethal

6. wwworry macrumors regular

Maybe Martha Stewart will expose her breast and it will all go away.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

*shudders* Talk about the worst post to read right before bedtime... ;)

Lethal

8. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

He won't fire Tenet, he'll fire Cheney, in the hopes that all this controversy about a rush to war will die with the man who many see as the Hawk who put us there in the first place. I sometimes feel like Dick is purposefully making ridiculous claims about Iraq that have been debunked months ago as a means of signaling himself out as the Iraq-war scapegoat, so that when he drops out because of "health reasons" many of those people unhappy with Cheney and the run-up to the war will feel better voting for Bush.

Davis

9. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Not saying Bush didn't overstate his case, but... isn't this the same intelligence agency which had us bombing the Chinese embassy in Yugoslavia?

10. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

In a LA Times article on the same testimony by Tenet, he is quoted as saying that the special unit set up by the neocons in the Defense Department did indeed brief high government officials with contradictory intelligence estimates without his knowledge. This is the first time, to my knowledge, that New Yorker columnist Seymour Hersh's article of last summer on the "stovepiping" of raw intelligence for political purposes has been confirmed by CIA. All those involved in the "project" should be fired immediately.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes I suppose it is, but what's your point?

The issue here is an administration that set up a special intelligence unit in the Pentagon, and when the CIA's intelligence didn't give them the assurances they wanted, the White House went with the people who were telling them what they wanted to hear. For the same reasons, they cited British intelligence on the Niger uranium connection instead of the CIA, who'd warned them off of using it previously. It's a very disturbing picture, taken altogether.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

well at least it didn't take too long. :rolleyes:

how weird is it that such confirmation comes by way of the CIA itself, rather than some other "investigative journalism outfit"?

13. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

I guess my point is, would I have trusted the CIA over Pentagon and British intelligence, as well as prevailing UN opinion?

How different the world might have been if Saddam Hussein had simply allowed the weapons inspections...

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

not much. saddam did let them in and bush invaded anyway.

15. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

I remember the "presidential palaces" inspection flap, and the "they won't let us interview their scientists alone" flap... Then it seemed like the next day we basically told the inspectors "Uh, you might want to leave. Now."

My point was, if the inspectors had not been out of there for a few years prior, things might have gone differently.

Or not.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You beat me to it. I don't see any evidence to suggest that Bush circumvented the CIA because they'd made mistakes before, but I see plenty of evidence to suggest that he did it because they weren't saying what he wanted to hear. I mentioned a long time ago that this entire episode sounded to me like a massive "group think." Sadly everything I've heard since then seems to confirm it.