Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alw4416

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Kansas City
I can finally confirm there is a new logic board for the mbp! I have a week 24 machine with the infamous whine and heat issue that went in for service. Repairs are complete and the main logic board was replaced as well as the inverter and temperature sensors. Don't let Apple Techs tell you that you are crazy...

Will receive machine 7/21/06

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
Sounds great, post results when you get it.
I'm going to send mine in as soon as I can spare it, how long did they keep yours?

It needs a new inverter anyway, and the fan sounds like there's a piece of plastic hitting it.

alw4416

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Kansas City
michaeldmartin said:
They'll only replace it if something's wrong; there's not really any difference either.

what do you mean there's not really any difference? do you mean in the logic boards or the whine and heat???

alw4416

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Kansas City
NJuul said:
Sounds great, post results when you get it.
I'm going to send mine in as soon as I can spare it, how long did they keep yours?

they only had it for 1 day. very quick turnaround.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
So, how can you confirm there's a new logic board for the MBP? I'm confused about your assertion when you haven't received your repaired one yet.

alw4416

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Kansas City
dejo said:
So, how can you confirm there's a new logic board for the MBP? I'm confused about your assertion when you haven't received your repaired one yet.

um yeah...thats pretty simple...when you call apple and check the status of a repair you can ask what was done. they then read the notes and say, "they installed a new main logic board, replaced the inverter, and replaced the temp sensors...."

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
alw4416 said:
um yeah...thats pretty simple...when you call apple and check the status of a repair you can ask what was done. they then read the notes and say, "they installed a new main logic board, replaced the inverter, and replaced the temp sensors...."

Oh, I thought by "new" you meant an updated production model that hopefully addresses some of the problems. Not "different from the one that was originally in there". They could just be using whatever stock of logic boards they have lying around. I wouldn't label those "new".

alw4416

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Kansas City
dejo said:
Oh, I thought by "new" you meant an updated production model that hopefully addresses some of the problems. Not "different from the one that was originally in there". They could just be using whatever stock of logic boards they have lying around. I wouldn't label those "new".

it is the "latest" logic board

alw4416

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Kansas City
alw4416 said:
it is the "latest" logic board

i meant latest as in "updated". as everyone else has posted, there is an updated logic board and even the tech i spoke to admitted that. strange to have a tech admit anything but it happened.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
alw4416 said:
i meant latest as in "updated". as everyone else has posted, there is an updated logic board and even the tech i spoke to admitted that. strange to have a tech admit anything but it happened.

Could be placebo effect....if they tell you it's different, maybe you'll be happy no matter what you get....

ahh psychology, where would we be without you?

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
Yeahm they've been making (confirmed) new logic boards since June 21st. They put them in some current computers, but they are still puttin in the old ones to get rid of the old stock. So if you call to get your MacBook Pro fixed (and need a log board replacement) then you will get the new logic board.

user23

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2006
fnord
mmmcheese said:
Could be placebo effect....if they tell you it's different, maybe you'll be happy no matter what you get....

ahh psychology, where would we be without you?

not placebo - there are several threads & reports on apple.com/support forums discussing the matter.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=555924&tstart=30

As a note, I, too, was told there is a revised LB available which will reduce and/or eliminate the whine/buzz. In addition, several people (on the Apple forums) are reporting their machines run cooler after LB replacement.

anyway, my week 20 2Ghz MBP arrives tomorrow, as well. Will post back here with my -definitely- non-placebo effect impressions.

if there wasn't a new LB, why would Apple be taking these machines back? Remember when...about 30-ish days ago...all Apple reps. would say is, "It's within specs" and offer no solution? It seems fair to think that *something* happened between now & then.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
New MBoard indeed.
People who receive the new MBoard also get a nice little letter and new installation CDs containing 10.4.6.
The letter tells them that the new Mboard does not add functionality, but does require 10.4.6.

Who wants to try installing 10.4.0 when they receive their repaired MBP? ;)

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I called today to ask about the hiss on my 2 week old macbook while running off the battery. They asked me two questions:

1. Apple: Is the sound comng from the right speaker.
Me: No the left

2. Apple: Turn the notebok oer, take the batter out and press power. Did it work?
Me: No it didn't

Apple: Ok we are sending out a box to send your notebook back in. Your power invertor is working improperly.

Me: So you mean the logic board is malfuctioning?
Apple: Yes, if they can fix the invertor the will but it's most likely the board

My box will be here tomorrow. I guess it's better to have it working. Even though I will be without it for a week. :(

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
How many logic board revisions does this make? When I took in my week 22, it had the latest available, and I'd swear I had read about at least two prior revisions.

alw4416

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Kansas City
Yes It Is A New Version Mlb Just Got The Letter

just got the machine back whisper quiet and cool. here is what the letter said with it.

"while repairing your macbook pro apple installed a different version of the main logic board (mlb). the new mlb provides equal functionality to the one it replaces. it does not add any additional functionality."

the machine came with new install disks as well.

so there it is folks. to all you pessimists out there, zip it....:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.