IT on the iPhone: ‘Use at your own cost and peril’

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 12, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

This brings up an interesting conflict: IT departments by and large are all about control. The iPhone is all about personalization. Are those objectives mutually exclusive?

3. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My workplace has a mix of iPhones, Blackberries, and Windows devices. BB and Windows are "winning", if only due to NZ timezone bugs that Apple doesn't seem to want to fix.

4. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Possibly they don't consider it "important" enough at this stage. OS X had the same issue a while back with the Daylight savings bug.

However judging by the fact that Vodafone NZ's website is reporting the iPhone as being sold out, I would say that IT types in big business are going to be forced to accept/cater for the iPhone into the work place sooner rather than later purely due to increasing numbers in use.

5. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's actually an OS X bug that's messing up birthdays among other things, as both my iPod Touch and my Sony phone are affected (using iTunes for iPod and iSync for phone).

6. macrumors 6502

What bug is that? - I'm in Wellington and my Wife I have iPhones - as do a few other friends and colleagues. Haven't noticed any issues....

7. macrumors 6502

Doh - Should have read the thread a little more :) Sorry

8. macrumors member

The power in any large business flows one way: from the users to IT. IT is founded on the suspicion that most users are little better than idiots, barely able to use the bathroom by themselves. Thus any new thing that the users do is painted in the colors of fear and alarm because the poor widdle users might huwrt themselves.

9. macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Actually it's based on cost effectiveness and required functionality. What the users do is up to them although we do make it as difficult as possible for them to screw it up.