IT person is dumb

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Super20, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Super20 macrumors regular

I work at a school that is strictly PC. Some computers are running XP, some windows 2000. I believe our server is Windows 2000 server (could be wrong). I've tried and tried to get them to add my powerbook to the network and the school IT person won't do it. I've heard everything from "no personal laptops on the network" (which is a bogus statement) to "it will crash the server" (which is also a bogus statement). Are there very detailed directions on how to add me to the school server or is there other info I need to get actual direcitons on how to do this? I used to be the same way before I turned mac...so it's just ignorance.

2. therevolution macrumors 6502

"Add to server" or "add to network" is kind of vague. Can you elaborate on what you need exactly?

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if the "dumb IT guys" don't want personal equipment on the network, then unless they really are dumb you would probably need some kind of admin rights on the server to get access for your Mac (this all being said without knowing any real specifics of your situation other than what you have stated)....oh yeah!

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

5. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

By connecting to the network, do you mean just getting on for everyday use like everyone else? Is everyone else allowed on? Are there any other Mac users on? Have you done something in the past to get yourself kicked off?

If you are the only person not allowed on because you are using a Mac, and you believe it's some sort of discrimination, you should go to the Dean's office and complain directly. You might also remind the IT people that your tuition goes to paying their salaries.

On the other hand, the IT manager (or whoever it is) might just be over paranoid about letting machines he/she doesn't fully understand, onto their network.

Hard to judge by the info you gave.... can you give us anymore?

6. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Probably just ignorance.

In other words, he doesn't have a clue about Macs, so rather than admit his lack of knowledge in that area, he just says no. It's a lot easier on his ego ;)

7. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Having and exterior machine on a internal machine is a BIG NO for any IT Professional. Even though it's a Mac, It could a be a potention threat to the network security. Your IT dept is not stupid but just aware of the potential risk by having an external machine onto the network.

8. Super20 thread starter macrumors regular

For more info:
    I am a teacher in a public school. My actual school computer has been down since Christmas with a bum power supply that is on back order from HP. I use my laptop strictly for school work and am doing a lot of stuff with it for my band classes. I just want to be able to jack into the school network like I did with my other computer. I turned on the PC, put in my login and password and I was golden. Every computer on the network has a name and our server does have a firewall.
    I do also know for a fact that others have been able to get their personal laptops added to the network (only they were PC's). I have the only Mac in the school.

9. Symtex macrumors 6502a

I understandt he reason why you want to do this but like I mention it's a big security threat to a network. I wouldn't allow that if I was the IT manager unless there is a offficial request (business case) made by your manager explaining the reason why you would need to use your laptop on the network. Then I would verified that there is no program install on the machine that could cause issue on the network. You've got to understand how an exterior machine could bring virus / spyware / malware. The facts that you have a MAC would probably the reason that I would probably give in and say yes but if you had a PC it would have been NO

10. Bonsaichop macrumors member

what do you need to access off the network? Most windows networks (if windows based and running off windows xxxx server) will use Active Directory to log its users on and give them their personal share directories. If this is the case you can enable active directory access in your system preferences.

It pretty much has to do with a) what do you want to access b) how did you access it through your pc. If its things like internet, you should be able to just unplug the blue network lead out of your pc and plug it straight into your ibook/powerbook. The network will automatically configure and you will be able to use the internet. For other things it may vary.

I have setup and repaired many netowrks in the past and seen some very dodgey setups esp in schools with undergrad uni students working as I.T. staff. If they don't want to touch it, there's a good chance if you make them they will cock things up. So be careful.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I can't seem to find this in the system preferences. Is it on by default?

12. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Can I give you an advice ? As an IT professional, putting a new computer on the network without the approval of the IT Manager could get you in big trouble. Maybe you should ask your supervisor officially to make a request to IT Dept to have your machine approved for the network. You know what I mean ?

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Another IT professional sticking his nose in here...

If your sysadmins say they don't want it, then don't do it. You will be going against company policy, and just as there would be penalties for breaking any company policy, there will be for this.

14. Symtex macrumors 6502a

I've consulted for many companies. I remember one time I work doing work for this big bank and one of the employe brought his home pc into the network. You should have seen his face when 2 security guard arrive at his desk. It's was not a pretty picture.

15. Bonsaichop macrumors member

I cant recall off hand but its there somewhere.. perhaps google it?

I must agree completley with edesignuk and Symtex however, if your admins don't want it, apart from a formal warning/loosing your job its not worth the hassle and buring I.T. admin hate towards you in the long run.

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thanks everyone for the warning but I am allowed to join my uni network but neither I nor the helpful IT staff have figured out how to yet. Hopefully this preference (once I've found it) will change that.

17. Symtex macrumors 6502a

I remember somewhere in preferences, that you have to start the active directory service, Then it will ask you to enter the fulldns name of your domain. After that, I think your IT Manage will need to allow you to join the Active Directory tree. May I suggest searching here : http://www.microsoft.com/technet . It's the best place for all your awnser concerning Active Directory.

18. ct77 macrumors member

Helpful articles -- OS X and Active Directory

Apple has a page dedicated to the topic of Macs on a Windows network.

This specific article is linked to from the Apple page I mentioned above, and appears to have specific instructions on how to bring a Mac into an Active Directory domain, without requiring the IT staff to make any changes to the server.

As the instructions above will demonstrate (it's necessary to run some commands in Terminal.app) ... it certainly seems harder than it should be to join an Active Directory domain. Hopefully Apple will streamline this a bit in Tiger -- they have promised improvements for getting Macs on a Windows domain-controlled network.

Good luck!

19. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

welll from what I can tell you IT guy is not stupid. He right on the fact that putting you Mac on the network can be a huge sercuity risk. It easier to keep it more securite by not having having to deal with anther OS. Windows computer play really nice with other windows computer in higher security mode. Same has a mac server play nice will all macs but not so much when you leave OSX mostly it is in little system setting.

In the end if the IT guy says no then it no. They are the ones who have to keep it up and running and they more than likely dont want to make any server changes to deal with adding you mac and honstly I dont blame them.

20. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Well, perhaps I'm a bit lost here.

He apparently already has permission, so why are people still ragging on him about not doing it without their permission?

Anyways, I presume they're running a domain (which sucks for laptops). Why not just set your laptop to the same static IP that your HP had (if you're using static IP) and just connect to your shared folder via Samba?

That's how I have all the mac laptops setup on my network. No point in making it a formal AD login since they will be the only person using the laptop. And when you connect to your samba share, you just type in your normal name and password and you have the same permissions you would have before. Am I missing something?

21. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Some networks are locked down and require an admin to register your MAC (as in ethernet card) address such that you can even participate on such a network. I know my college was like this, so perhaps yours is the same?

The easiest route is to try to get a step by step on how they add Windows machines to the network (if your admin would even share this info, that is) and the friendly folks here can let you know the "equivalent" steps for OS X. Usually many people just want to use the interweb, and don't care about network drives and shares, but you should be specific with your needs since it may require you to authenticate to a domain server.

22. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

23. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX