It really here- Range Rover Sport

Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, Jul 18, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I drove by the Rover dealership today and saw the new Range Rover Sports. I didn't have time to stop to get a closer look. I found some good pics of the new RR sports on ebay motors

Range Rover Sport HSE
    Range Rover Sport Supercharged

I'm not sure if I love it but I don't hate it. I think the HSE has better looking wheels than the Supercharged Wheels. It looks similar to my 2003 rover except shorter and more squished. The dash of the sports looks like a cross between the LR3 and my '01 Range Rover. Personally they look a little low (and mobster carish- like infiniti FX, dodge magnum, etc) but maybe its beacause their suspension is in the low postion. Its definatly much more of an X5 and Cayanne competetor than the regular rover. The Sport has the new terrain response off road system but it comes with high preformance road tires so good luck off roading (then again who really takes their new Range Rover off road?) I like the Supercharged engine with its 390hp. I'm thinking of buying one to replace my 2003 Range Rover depending on how well it drives.

I could:
    A. Buy RR sport HSE
    B. Spend 15k more for the Supercharged
    C. Spend same as Supercharged and get Range Rover HSE
    (No SUVs suck convos- I have a fuel effiencent Mercedes Diesel)

Any thoughts on this vehicle.

2. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

meh...

They need to do another retro-styled RR, then I might consider buying one.

[​IMG]

3. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Those Defenders are actually quite expensive, for a '97 with 20k miles costs roughly $50,000. They used to sell them in America but not anymore- I'm pretty sure they still have them in Europe. Growing up for some reason my dad bought a new Land Rover Series III 88" as a fun car (off-roading). New in '72 or '73 it was only $2,000-$3,000- I actually think he has the original price tag and advertisemtents. Now they sell for around $10,000.

4. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

It's hard to say this, but I don't hate it that much....actually, I think it looks quite respectable. Those side vents are LARGE tho! I do enjoy how it has all those fancy electronics for going off road but comes with high performance road tires :p.

BEN

5. unfaded macrumors 6502

Thank god, more SUVs. Just what this world needs.

6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hell yea it does.

Personally, i don't like those vents on the front of the car, I think they look goofy. i wuld get the RR SuperCharged.

My favorite Car? BMW 545 or 760

7. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Yep seeing as they are built in Solihull, West Midlands. The defender is quite a popular vehicle, specially on farms! Defenders are absolutely fantastic off road vehicles, make Jeep's look like a lada!

My mates got a defender and they trully are a great off road car.

8. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

YAY! Mercedes Diesel!!!

but personally, i'm not a huge fan of those body styles, if you REALLY have no problem spending money, i'd say get a lambroghini SUV... yes, they did make one :D
    http://www.fotosdecarros.com/showphoto.php/photo/285/sort/1/cat/558
    either that or a Discovery, those are pretty cool. and if you dont mind impratctial, get an old Willy CJ, the ones the US had in WWII!

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

why are you always telling us what new cars you're buying? don't you already have two of them anyway?

:rolleyes:

10. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

[​IMG]

Thats one of the cars my dad owned in the early 70s. It was probably the most uncomfortable vehicle ever made and the most unreliable. Top speed around 45mph. It did very well in the snow and off road (which my dad actually did with it)

11. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I would get the normal Range Rover HSE over the Sport. Just because I like the way it looks on the inside and out. The sport on the inside looks like everything is too condensed together over the normal RR where it has space between everything.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Get a secondhand push-bike. Range Rovers are getting really vulgar.

13. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Stick to the normal Range Rover

Since it's in unveiled, I haven't really fallen over the new "Sport" model. For some reason, it just seems like a dumbed-downed/cheapened version of it's big brother. While the exterior is rather sharp looking, I'm not impressed at all with the interior- doesn't share any of the glamorous-looking/expensive interior of the Range Rover, but more with the Discovery (Land Rover).

It's good that Land Rover decided to make a competitor to the Porsche Cayenne (which is IMO the sexiest/gorgeous/amazing SUV built; I'm buyist) , and Infiniti FX45. While the RR Sport and the FX are at different spectrums of the price chart, the FX is very impressive (performance-wise). I don't think the BMW X5 (except for the 4.6i maybe) makes the cut in this arena. However, compared to the prices of the Cayenne (MSRP $58,000) or the Infiniti ($46,000), RR is commanding a very steep price.

This is not to say this is a poorly-designed vehicle- it is obviously very well thought out, and I look forward to a test-drive soon. But let's just say I'm happy with my Cayenne :)

14. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I think I might have to agree with you. The Sport looks like they through together the dash of the LR3 and made it look more like the 1995-2002 Range Rovers Dash.

[​IMG]

Why Do you say Range Rovers are getting really vulgar. I already have two bikes. :)

----

15. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

UGH! That dash looks so 90s... oh well! :rolleyes:

llama :D

16. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I think it might be taking away from the Land Rover Spirit. I know that doesn't make much sense since they used to be like jeeps. Landrovers of modern times should be very well designed, with an luxerious interrior, yet still have the ability to go off roading. The RR sport, although trying to include those features has attempted to attract to the $50,000-$60,000 Sporty SUV buyers (cayenne, X5 4.8i, ML 55AMG). Although the RRS may have an advanced off road system, its 5 inches of ground clearance and high preformance sport on-road tires won't get you anywhere. I can see how they want to attract more buyers- but how many LR dealerships are there out there? If they really wanted to attract more buyers they should have made the LR3 look more normal. I also dislike (like you said) that the RRS is LR3 (disco 3) based. They pretty much took the same dashboard and center consule and just made it slightly different.

I must say I am not a huge fan of the looks of the Cayenne, IMO I think they could have done a little better inside and out BUT they have the best engines in them.

I think infiniti makes great cars. The FX 35/45 and the G35x (AWD). I love the G35x (Have to get with AWD- who wants RWD in the winter). The G35 is better than the new BMW 330i and I'm pretty sure the old BMW 330xi. I watched a show on the G35 vs the BMW (now has info at infinitis website). The show's tests showed that the G35 had more HP, more torque, was faster, had better breaking, was bigger, and was cheaper yet still came with all the BMW features.

I think the FX is also a great car. The rest of their line up isn't bad, but it just doesn't do much for me. I miss the good old QX4.

17. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

This is similar to what my current dashboard looks like. The 2005 offers a backup camera, 4WD/Suspension monitoring system, and BT phone intergration. Don't you love where the key goes in (to left of shifter).

[​IMG]

18. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

That Dash is nice, but never as nice as my dash! :D
    [​IMG]

19. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Think saab......

BEN

20. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

you can afford a cayenne, and can't spell BIASED? :confused:

i think you should just buy the biggest, fastest, most expensive SUV you can afford- and then come back to macrumors with pictures and brag about it.

isn't that what this thread is about anyway? i don't see any discussion of features, pros/cons, etc...

:rolleyes:

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

All that money would have been better spent on an educayshun.

22. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

You can spell biased and can't afford a cayenne? :confused:

:D

23. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

24. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Maybe it was supposed to be a play on words, something to do with buying and being biased. Or maybe he just made a typographical error.

I am curious though why Land Rover gave the RR Sport all the features of the Range Rover, plus the "terrian response", plus virtually the same engines (Supercharged Models: 400hp in RR, 390 in RRS), yet the Range Rover is over $15,000 more. Obviously we have noticed an interrior quality difference but they are still both pretty similar.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Better ask Ford about that. I don't think the RR Sport is much to do with Solihull. Bit of a Transatlantic Tossmobile.