Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Hello all, I just got a free original iMac, its a pink one with 9.2 on it (eww). Anyways, I plan to give it away to a relative, but I want to order DSL for them. Can this mac handle SBC Yahoo DSL? What are the min specs required for DSL? Is it even worth it for a mac this old? Also, how do I check the specs on this thing? I miss the "about this mac" from tiger.

Please help! thanks :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Check System Profiler from memory for the specs. But I can't for the life of me remember where that was. With the Applications somewhere maybe?

Anyway, I've set up many old iMacs for DSL before. I've only ever done it through ethernet though, never USB. I think USB would probably work, but I'd try to get an ethernet modem all the same.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
mad jew said:
Check System Profiler from memory for the specs. But I can't for the life of me remember where that was. With the Applications somewhere maybe?

Anyway, I've set up many old iMacs for DSL before. I've only ever done it through ethernet though, never USB. I think USB would probably work, but I'd try to get an ethernet modem all the same.

Thanks, This mac does have ethernet. Right now I'm at my relative's house and online through AOL's "1000 for free" thing. Is it going to be a pain to cancel it? I have no idea on how to check the specs on this thing. All I know is that I'm glad there's tiger.

iTunes doesnt work on this thing. (how did people listent to music back in 1998?)

EDIT: Found it!!! Its an iMac G3, 333 MHz, 320 megs of RAM, 6MB video. Using the stupid circle mouse. Mac OS 9.2.2... And 8GB HD (I think)

I'm almost ready to order SBC Yahoo DSL, but making sure...

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Yes, it will work with DSL. SBC will send you a Speedstream 5100b modem with the basic package. You plug the modem into the phone jack, connect the modem to the iMac with an ethernet cable, set the iMac to use DHCP, set up the modem by connecting to it via web browser on the iMac, done. The modem does the PPPoE.

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
yeah, you can easily run DSL with that on 9.2 . I would like to say one thing though.. as much as i love Tiger and OS X in general, don't be so quick to harsh on that machine and its operating system. That computer alone changed the face of the computer industry forever, and not to mention, that operating system is still more capable than any winbox i have ever used. just some food for thought.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You really should bring that machine up to Jaguar 10.2.8

You'll should also up the RAM up to at least 256, but then
you're in good shape.

Check with OWC or Crucial for the correct DIMMS

Once they get used to Jaguar it won't be long before
you'll be out there trying to find them a mini or a newer iMac G5

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
My old Graphite iMac DV had no problem connecting to DSL, although make sure that the provider you choose has a Mac setup cd, which will make things easier for you. I don't know how SBC is, but I bet it will work fine.

I would definitely recommend that you upgrade that puppy to OS X though. 9.2 is a fine operating system, but much less intuitive, and whenever I opened Photoshop 6 on there, things went very crashy on me. OS X would help with a lot of headaches.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
alex_ant said:
Yes, it will work with DSL. SBC will send you a Speedstream 5100b modem with the basic package. You plug the modem into the phone jack, connect the modem to the iMac with an ethernet cable, set the iMac to use DHCP, set up the modem by connecting to it via web browser on the iMac, done. The modem does the PPPoE.
just sold a modem of that model
for $10

uspcommuter

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
I highly suggest that if you plan to run it as a second computer... add some memory into it.. in the long run you/or whoever will be much happier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.