It will cost more to live in 2004!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Sep 26, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

inflation is always a killer, even inflation not tied to the Dollar. it's why Cost of Living raises are a necessity, tho they're usually under 5% and inflation is usually more. natural inflation, if there is such a thing, is fine (as long as the pay scale adjusts accordingly) but this deliberate inflation should be illegal. hard to prove tho.

pnw

3. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Maybe i will have to continue to live in 2003 then.

4. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

there was something on the news a little while ago on how much money was worth in the 70s, and today.
    one person in an average 4 person family in the 70s is the equivalent to an average 4 person family with 2 parents working.

:eek:

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

The education field, both grade school and public higher, are seeing very few cost of living raises.

If there are raises at all, they are usually merit-based.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Rather than a national cap on malpractice payments, how about keeping bad doctors from working in medicine ever again? This would help to keep costs low and it might just cause the remaining doctors to be careful.

7. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Very good point, if doctors are found guilty of malpractive they should be suspended, or depending on the severity be given the equivelent of a diss-barment (is that a word?)

Sorry for being off the 'inflation' topic - back on topic...we all want to make more money, companies have a corporate responsibility to their shareholders - they ned to make more money....it is a vicious cycle.

8. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

I love hearing from people who say they demand price caps on everything to keep inflation low and at the same time demand a nationwide "living" wage of $15/hr. Companies have a hard enough time employing people with all the red tape, raising the cost of labor while restricting prices would be rediculous. And yet I hear nothing but how horrible inflation is and why we should all get 200% raises. Sheesh...

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Doctors don't belong to any bar association. they are licensed, so revoking the license would be the course of action. of course, they can just go practice unlicensed or in another country...

personally, i think a balance should be reached... certainly there are things beyond doctors' and hospitals' controls, in which case it's usually a vindictive or greedy family cashing in, but there are certainly cases (albeit rare) where large malpractice settlements are justified. Like, i think there was a doctor a while ago that used a broken-off screwdriver in place of a titanium rod when it went missing during the surgery... of course the screwdriver snapped under strain later, resulting in unimaginable consequences for the patient (both physical pain and the depression and pain that come with more surgeries)... yes, i think that doctor should face everything that's coming his way.

but i digress. Stelliform, don't you see the inherent problem with below cost-of-living pay increases? As was pointed out, look at the educational system. Most teachers cannot make ends meet anymore, and are turning just about anywhere else for better pay. i know someone that recently got a degree in elementary education, she now works at a retail store along with another part-time job because it simply pays better. Giving sub-cost-of-living increases is fine in small doses, as families learn to make due on less during bad years, but in some cases it's sustained until the pay and the cost-of-living index are worlds apart... that's when, as we see of late in the news, entire families start falling into the poverty level. Of course across-the-board increases would spur inflation, but inflation has shown itself to be the natural evolution of any monetary system, i personally blame this on the inability to enforce price-gouging laws and create new laws as companies get too big for the government to keep track of... the government has fallen by the wayside of big business, and so the entire industry is running wild. the rest of the government has grown very strong recently, but it's not had less economic influence in a long time, it seems. apparently since bush has nothing to gain on that front, he pretty steadily ignores it. but that is another subject :)

pnw

10. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I think this is a much better idea....

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've been saying this for a while now, but I wish there was some sorta way we could just start over financially...go back to the begining where things were cheap & life was more simple. I know this is impossible with the advances of technology we've seen in the past 100 years, but it's just a theory. It's sad how the costs of living constantly seem to rise, while the economy is stagnant, and our wallets don't get much compensation. :(

12. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Definitely a big problem is energy and healthcare rising at a higher pace than inflation. A Nobel Prize could be had for coming up with a solution to this problem. More govenment control is not the answer, it would only cause higher prices and taxes. It has failed over and over again.

As long as we continue to buy, businesses will continue to raise the prices. They focus group the highest amount that they can charge withou loosing customers.
    :(