Italian elections

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Sunday and Monday are important days for Italy. Hopefully, as Italians go to the polls, they will mark the end of the government of one of the world most obnoxious demagogues, Silvo Berlusconi. From the BBC,

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Whenever I wonder if politics could be worse than it is here, I only have to read something about Italy.

3. Queso macrumors G4

It's funny talking politics with the Italians though. They label any politician that disagrees with their own views either a communist or a fascist, yet never see their own politics as anything other than centrist :D . Great example of that in the comments above.

I'd like to see Berlusconi go. The Italian economy is completely stagnant and a lot of people are suffering through rising prices and unemployment. Berlusconi in the meantime seems to only care about the people like him at the top of the pile. Time for a change.

4. toontra macrumors 6502

Carefull now. You're talking about Tony Blair's personal friend and close political ally (and holiday host to Tony and the grotesque and grabbing Cherie). Surely they wouldn't hang out with an obnoxious demagogue, would they? :eek:

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Berlusconi has brought a degree of stability to Italian politics but the price Italians have paid is too big. Why any breathing Italian voter chooses him is beyond me. If he is elected to another term, I'm convinced the Italian economy will collapse. major reforms are needed if it's to survive much less prosper and Berlusconi is incapable of instituting them.

If Prodi is elected, there's a good chance the government will be riven by competing leftist parties whose voice has effectively been silenced since The Liar came to office. Either way, it's not going to be pretty for Italy but Berlusoni needs to go.

6. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Don't get me started on Mr. Blair. Suffice it to say he is also a "personal friend and close political ally" to George Bush. That says all there needs to be said about his political judgement and in his choice of friends. :(

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well he is charismatic and the old people like him a lot... you should hear my south tyrolian friends talking about him it's mostly swearing and eye rolling
    on the other side Prodi is considered boring and stiff .. he's perceived like Al Gore was ;)

i don't know .. Prodi has their coalition quite under control so far but it's gonna get close

that aside.. berlusconis recent blunders are of course hilarious (and won't make it through the profanity filter)

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

At least they have a far higher turn-out than the UK or the US...

Voter turnout at the last general election, in 2001, was 82.7% according to this article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1749685,00.html

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And they voted for Il Duche.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

People in glass houses...

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

As I said, whenever I think it couldn't possibly be worse. Berlusconi makes Bush look like a girl scout.

12. Queso macrumors G4

Without Mussolini's reign there would be no welfare state or free healthcare in Italy. Also don't forget that there is a large German speaking population in Northern Italy, so had Mussolini not sided with Hitler in WW2, the Nazis would have used that as an excuse to invade and annex all the way down to the Po Valley. Mussolini therefore kept Italy together when it was most vulnerable.

Not making any excuses for him (he'd probably have had me shot within minutes), just stating why some Italians would still vote for him if he were alive today. The Italians living in the German-dominated South Tyrol are particularly fond.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I know, I know... he also made the trains run on time.

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That, I think, is the major reason for Berlusconi's success, he's all for keeping the old people happy while ignoring the younger generation. There was a rather successful novel recently about the €1.000 a month generation. All the good jobs and money go the old people while the young ones are forced to live at home while earning peanuts. It's not unlike what's happening in France or Germany.

15. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

... whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    by a crook surrounded by idiots,
    or by an idiot surrounded by crooks?
    Or, by opposing, end them? to vote, to hope;
    No more; and by a vote to say we end
    The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
    That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wish'd. To vote, to hope;
    To vote: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub...

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Knowing how things have been going lately, he will probably be re-elected because the opposition is so bad and people fall for the rhetoric. Look at Australia, or the UK, or Canada, or the US for that matter. Then again, look at Spain, so hopefully Italy doesn't have to follow the same road. I can't say I know much about Italian politics, but from what I can tell, just because younger people are better educated and more people are out there voting, that doesn't mean you get better leaders out there. That's not so encouraging.

17. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

The election results look to be incredibly close, but as of right now it also appears the center-left coalition has won. I'm still holding my breath, but it looks good.

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

amazing: 47 million electors, 40 million votes (84%) and the left 'won' by 20,000 votes (.05%)!

how do you say 'hanging chad'?

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I wonder if Berlusconi is going to challenge? At least we're not the only polarized country in the world and with such a high turnout, it's clear that Italy IS polarized.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

84%. that's awesome.

every election cycle, i am ashamed of the US' voter turnout.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'd say it would help to have better candidates, but somehow I doubt that's it.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd say we get exactly the candidates we deserve. until we start demanding content over substance, and real conviction over sell-outs, we'll keep getting the well-dressed, vacuous and easily bought.

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, it's like my dating life - between what you know you need, and what's is easy.

Hell, you may hate yourself in the morning - but you always have someone to blame other than yourself and it requires minimal effort, engagement and sacrifice.

I've said too much.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You and your straight lifestyle... ;)

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

iow, we shouldn't drink before going to the polls? :)