Italian Football suspended until further notice

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Queso, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Queso macrumors G4

Following last night's crowd violence before, during and after the Catania-Palermo game, Italian football's governing body the FIGC has suspended the sport's entire fixture list, including all amateur games, until further notice. The game itself was suspended for 30 minutes after players were overcome by the tear gas the Police used to separate the warring groups of supporters. Following the game, the riots continued in the streets around the venue, the Stadio Massimino.

One member of Carabinieri (the Italian Police force) was hit in the face by a home-made bomb thrown from the crowd and died later in hospital.

BBC News

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I read this last night - scary. Something needs to change to get these "supporters" away from the game.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That is terribly tragic. I used to know people here who'd joke about the violence that broke out over football matches, but I guess it never really occured to me how serious it all gets. :(

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The mindset in Italian football needs to be changed to one where violence of any kind isn't tolerated or swept under the carpet. We've had success with this in English football over the past few decades, although I wouldn't suggest for a moment that the problem has been eradicated completely. Steps such as imposing banning orders on known hooligans and placing stricter controls on ticketing and segregation need to be employed, and clubs who fail to comply with the regulations need to be punished by steps such as points docking or being forced to play their matches behind closed doors. I'm not one who normally agrees with the principle of banning away support from games, but in the short term it might be something that the Italian authorities might consider.

I read that the Italian FA are holding an emergency meeting on Monday to discuss what action to take – 'robust measures' have been promised, so we'll see what action they decide to take.

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

It can get pretty scary once mob violence breaks out. I've been at matches where bags of urine were flying everywhere, thinking, who are these people? Unfortunately, it's usually a small few who either incite or cause trouble for many others who are there just to see a good game on the pitch.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^Bags of urine?

I honestly hope that the person who threw that bomb at the police officer dies, along with his friends. How? By being hung upside-down by the nuts. :mad:

I say they play on their own, with no fan support whatsoever.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Well, the Italian authorities have outlined their plans...

In short, teams will have to play behind closed doors until their grounds meet stricter safety regulations, there will be stronger punishments for hooligans, stewards are to be introduced to stadiums and there are going to be tighter restrictions on ticketing. As for when games will resume, a decision is going to be made later in the week.

Hopefully the authorities will stick to these rulings and not buckle to any pressure from clubs who don't want to enforce them.

8. blitzkrieg79 macrumors 6502

blitzkrieg79

Riots have always been a part of european football culture. I don't think anything will change any soon. Look what is happening in France, Netherlands, Poland, come to think of it I can't think of one european country where some kind of football incident hasn't happened in the past few years. Things have improved in England but it's not like it has been completely eradicated.

However, most of this has to do with a fact that there is a know hatered between certain clubs, there are allies, there are enemies, most european football fans grew up with one team, it's their life, here in US people only like winners, for example in the NBA 10 years ago there was a bunch of Bulls fans, now I don't see many of them, however I see a lot of Suns or Mavericks fans, I guess Americans will never understand the true european football culture, I know the rioting part is unexcusable but also the same fans make football th greatest game in the world (and I am talking about real football, and not the American one where the only time the ball meets the kick is during the point afer or a punt). Nothing compares to the football stadium atmosphere.

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Italian football may make return - BBC

The inherent problem with Italian football still remains. Despite the death of the policeman, the attitude of the people who run the game seems to me to be: "the show must go on, regardless."

Hopefully the Italian government will ensure that the right thing is done.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think that is very wrong. Football as a live spectator sport should be made to hurt for this. Fans need to see that something is VERY wrong when people start getting killed, and if 95% of the clubs play without fans, maybe that's just the message that needs to be sent. I don't think it's right for greedy club owners to complain about money in public at a time like this.

I also think they should be strict about banning hooligan "supporters" from the pitch permanently.

11. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Ah yes. We dumb Americans didnt even kill anyone after the superbowl. If only we had an advanced culture where we could throw bags of urine and take peoples life over a game (on a regular basis, even!!!). What a joy that would be.

12. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Ouch. Have you ever considered switching to decaf?

13. iGav macrumors G3

What I don't understand is, if this level of sh*t went down in the UK, specifically England, then we'd have UEFA and FIFA threatening to ban every English club left, right and centre from ever competing in anything outside of our little land ever again.

Yet, their levels of silence if it involves clubs from Italy, Turkey, or Brazil is deafening. :rolleyes:

It's quite simple. I suggest if you have 1 trouble maker in the crowd. Then the next game is played behind closed doors. Peope will soon get the idea. ;)

Obviously it's not as good a solution as actually banning football, but hey ho. :p

14. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Nicely done:cool:

Seriously, this european attitude toward soccer is pathetic. I'm always reading about some racist or violent mishap that occurs during soccer games and thinking, thank god Americans don't act that way. And it's not even a good game--I don't understand how you can get so excited about something so boring.

15. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

That's true, and they'll still consider our fans to be Teh Thugs and call it "The English Disease" regardless. If the Italian authorities don't enforce these new regulations, Italian clubs should be thrown out of the European competitions. Yet we all know that would never happen.

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Thanks for that...you make America proud.:rolleyes:

As an American who also follows the beautiful game, I do have to say that football in Europe has a much more violent fan culture than most American sports. I remember watching a few Serie A matches and was surprised at all the road flares being thrown and whatnot.

UEFA and FIFA need to make a strong stand about racism and violence at matches, especially with more nations joining the EU...it's a big problem. People can't be dying at matches - and for goodness' sake, if the POLICE are being beaten to death on riots that should indicate that something is very wrong!

Overcoming the clubs' anger at losing money will be an uphill battle...but I say until the violence stops, no fotball for you! Empty stadiums and banning hooligan supporters are the answers.

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Blasphemous! From a bloody American too!

18. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Yeah, but the terrible thing about this incident is that it had nothing to do with rivalries. It wasn't fans versus fans. It was fans versus the police. Whoever threw that bomb into the police car premeditated the whole act. Who comes to a soccer game with a bomb if you aren't planning on using it? It was anarchy and a terrible attack on the police, which I certainly hope is not part of the European football culture.

19. blitzkrieg79 macrumors 6502

blitzkrieg79

I didn't call Americans dumb, nor did I said that the European football culture is "advanced"/sophisticated, I just said it is different and much more emotional. People support their teams through the good or through the bad. I did say that the rioting part is unexcusable but I also know that FIFA and UEFA ain't gonna do much about it as that would mean a lot of lost revenue for them. Besides, this doesn't only happen in Europe, South America and Asia is also know for football rioting.

Besides, there are no soccer riots in US because soccer is not too popular here, but I know how Americans celebrate championships and parades by destroying every car in it's path (witnessed it with my own eyes when the Bulls won 1996 championship and when Devils won theirs).

But anyway you look at it, there is no better fan experience than going to an European football stadium and witnessing a match, constant cheering, songs, it's beautiful. In US all they know is how to clap and boo. I am not knocking US fans down but it's the reality, they just don't know how to have fun (and no I dont consider rioting a part of fun).

20. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Wow. You gave an example from 1996. Its certainly reaching epidemic proportions, isnt it.

You may not have expressly said it but you implied those things. As for not "knocking US fans down", again you may not say it directly but you imply that we are somehow inferior. All we know how to do is clap? We don't know how to have fun? Maybe its a culture thing and nothing more. Why does it have to be an "American" thing?

Let me try something similar... Its just a fact, Europeans dont know how to read. All they know how to do is scratch their arse and drink beer. I'm not knocking them, its just that we Americans like to be more educated and refined. Its beautiful. :D

Gotta love blanket statements based on where someone is located on the globe. :rolleyes:

Oh, and note to all of our European friends here... I was being sarcastic in my example above (just in case it wasnt obvious). :D

21. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Sounds pretty accurate to me.

Wales v Northern Ireland kicks off soon, I'll be watching whilst drinking a lager. There is a very real possibility of me scratching my arse.

:D

22. blitzkrieg79 macrumors 6502

blitzkrieg79

Jeezzz, you can say that I am a sports maniac, I have been at various sporting events throughout US, Canada, and Europe (NBA, NHL, NFL, Euro football and basketball) and it was just my observation that Americans don't seem to cheer or are as emotional towards sports or are as imaginative as Europeans. It's just my observation. And talking about drinking beer and scratching asses, isn't obesity a national epidemic in US? :p

http://www.economysizegeek.com/wp-photos/461.jpg

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I think part of the reason is that in other countries violence at football matches has historically been concentrated at domestic matches – English hooligans on the other hand were only too happy to take their trouble abroad, bringing us to the wider attention of other nations and making English 'supporters' an international problem rather than just a domestic one.

It's unfortunate that we attracted this reputation in the first place, but one positive result is that we've become quite good at dealing with hooligans because we've had to face up to the problem and haven't been able to sweep it under the carpet – and as mentioned in the links posted already in this thread other countries (including Italy) are looking to adopt some of our methods to deal wit their own yobs.

Anyway, the England Under-21s are back out for the second half so if you'll excuse me I'm off to get a beer and give my arse a scratch.

24. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Oh, so now ALL Americans are fat? You people and your nationalistic pride and arrogance and hot women with their azzez hanging out disgust me. If you look, just after Iraq and Iran, but before China, you will find yourself on the Axis of Evil list. ;)

Cheers mate.

Im just a bit touchy about all the America bashing as of late. Sure our country isnt perfect and is maybe a 'lil screwed up right now, but its become fashionable to blame us for everything or talk crap about us. One of my buttons as of late, but Im not really angry about it. Just annoying after a while. :eek:

25. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I KNEW IT!!! :D