Italian right tried to rig poll?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This is a story I'll be watching with interest as it develops.
    BBC

Hey, if it works here in the US, why wouldn't they try it in Italy?

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Why is it the "right" are accused of poll rigging in the media today?

3. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

Just for the record, voter fraud in the US was shown to be four times more likely amongst the left. I guess you can hate what you will, but to willingly be ignorant about a particular issue is unwise.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

source?

5. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

My local newpaper about a week before the election in the op ed section. It was based off of comparing who all of the dead people voted for. It was 4 to 1 for democrats.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Without a link, that's not much of a source.

7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Given that its Italian politics, its hardly suprising. They'd rig a bus que if they could.

8. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

You don't have to believe it, but what reason would I have to lie about it?

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'd just like to be able to check it out, you know? :) Not casting any asparagus here.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

There's a long standing requirment here to support all factual comments with a reliable link. Anything else will be considered opinion.

You didn't state that it was only your local area in your first post, nor did you state that it was an op ed piece. I'm sure you'd agree that makes a huge difference.

11. toontra macrumors 6502

Did anyone else have their suspicions that Berlusconi's TV breakdown yesterday may be connected to his current trial for corruption, or am I just too cynical?

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

meanwhile...

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

stress is very tough on the body.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Doesn't work like that here. If it isn't something already well established, and even then most of the time, you need a valid link. No one will argue that there have been some Dems who voted rigged, there's no excuse for that on either side. But we have discussed in the past the organized voter fraud spoken of here, which seems to be prominently from the Republicans.

I usually speak of my time in WA State when the (R) appeared to win the governorship in '04, but after 2 recounts, the (D) actually won. Of course, I hated them both, but it made me wonder. There was talk of some Dem fraud in OR with them trying to prevent Nader from getting on the ballot, but then there is also talk of Laura Ingram having charges filed against her for telling her listeners to jam the Dems hotlines during the election. Or the anti-immigration Republican (ironically himself an immigrant) who tried to scare Latinos into not voting. Or the autodialers. Or the machines in FL switching Dems votes to Reps. And the Diebold voting machines run by a Republican.

There have been some fraud coming from Dems, just as the Reps don't own scandal and corruption, but as I said, whereas a few Dems here and there are guilty of it... the other side seems to have it down to a science. Liberals are pretty scattered (the Dem party known for doing nothing lately and being very unorganized, and all over the map agendawise), and most independents couldn't care less either way, but neocons are pretty well organized. This is why we fear them, even if most of us don't really like what the Dems have to offer either.

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Here are the rules. They're pretty fair, don't require a whole lot of effort and help keep this forum as clean as possible when discussing politics :D

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, he's 70 years old too and those A types don't typically have long lifespans.

17. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I just want to thank KY for bringing back a thread I thought no one was interested in reading. ;)

I would also point out that it is my impression that it is almost always the Right that is involved in voter suppression tactics. Why is that, I wonder?

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I also think it's a scam in the sense he's trying to convince people he actually has a heart.

19. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

I found A link, but it seems like it comes from a pretty partisan source. At any rate, here it is until I can find something more substantial:

http://morningcoffee.wordpress.com/...he-voters-arent-the-need-for-election-reform/

And here's the pertinent part:
    "Democrats who cast votes after they died outnumbered Republicans by more than a 4-to-1 margin. The reason: Most of them came from Democrat-dominated New York City, where higher population produced more matches."

20. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

sad but true. Italian political structure is a bit of a joke.

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's a pretty weak claim you made initially. It's not that Democrats are more likely to vote from the grave, rather big cities like NYC are less likely to have clean voter roles and therefore more room for fraud. The Poughkeepsie Journal article clearly states:

Also:

emphasis mine

Your claims and that of morningcoffee have no basis in fact. morning coffee has clearly cherry picked the article and ignored the real facts. I'm sure that if a similar Republican stronghold were to be investigated, the same percentages would be discovered.

Facts are what matter here, not hearsay. Thanks for posting the link.